INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: DLNA streaming to PS3 not working  (Read 8747 times)

cubanresourceful

• Recent member
DLNA streaming to PS3 not working
« on: March 08, 2011, 09:46:31 pm »

I currently have MC 16.0.43 and set up to stream to PS3 (same way I set it up with MC 15) and well, the PS3 does not find the media server. Is this a know bug, if it even is one?

jrouss

• Recent member
Re: DLNA streaming to PS3 not working
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2011, 04:48:35 am »

I have the same issue

Magic_Randy

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • I used to be indecisive, but now I'm not so sure..
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2011, 09:31:54 am »

It works fine for me.

Did you set the option "Use Media Network to share this library and enable DNLA"? When I first configured MC16 this option was not turned on - I had to check it to get the PS3 to find MC.

jrouss

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2011, 05:33:30 am »

I had it on. Like Cubanresourceful I can stream to the PS3 with MC15, not MC16.

Magic_Randy

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2011, 09:32:31 am »

You may want to try adding a new DLNA server in MC and configuring it as a PS3.

As mentioned, it works for me, but I did redo my DLNA servers. I did this before I upgraded to MC16 so I can not be sure it is related, but it's worth a try.

EDIT: As I think about it, I'm not sure if I redid my DLNA servers before or after I upgraded to MC16.

cubanresourceful

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2011, 05:09:02 pm »

It works fine for me.

Did you set the option "Use Media Network to share this library and enable DNLA"? When I first configured MC16 this option was not turned on - I had to check it to get the PS3 to find MC.
I do have that checked, I installed MC16 fresh, so it cannot be old settings interfering. I also created a new profile for the Playstation 3. I am confused as to why this is not working. The PS3 is also on the same LAN, so it's not even that. Hmmmmm....

Magic_Randy: Can you please post an image of your configuration settings please? Thank you. :)

Magic_Randy

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2011, 08:51:48 pm »

...Magic_Randy: Can you please post an image of your configuration settings please? Thank you. :)

I'm attaching it here. It is in multiple images.

Other than my views, everything is just set to the defaults.

If you go to Media Network-->Options-->Add or configure DLNA servers-->Add-->Select Playstation 3 from the drop down-->click OK

And as I mentioned before, make sure you set the option "Use Media Network to share this library and enable DNLA"

There are a couple of things in the last image (advanced) that are cut off and don't display on the image, but they are not selected.

Magic_Randy

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2011, 09:01:00 pm »

...I also created a new profile for the Playstation 3. I am confused as to why this is not working. The PS3 is also on the same LAN, so it's not even that...

You had it working before with MC15, but maybe adding the new profile on the PS3 did something.

On the PS3, go to:

Settings-->Network Settings-->Media Server Connection-->make sure it is set to "Enabled"

Magic_Randy

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2011, 09:06:24 pm »

One more thing to check under Media Center Options.

On the first page there is an advanced section. I'm adding another image of my settings.

Sorry my answers are spread across multiple posts.

igzabether

• Recent member
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2011, 10:02:28 pm »

I have a similar problem in that I can't stream via WebPlay to my iPhone or use WebRemote any longer (either over wifi or over the cell network) with MC16.  I had no issues with MC15, but now that I'm using MC16 it stopped working.....

Help!

cubanresourceful

• Recent member
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2011, 10:25:15 pm »

Thanks for the replies Magic_Randy, I figured what the issue is. The issue is that there is a delay when the PS3 is turned on to when it detects the Media Server. I never had this issue before. It takes from 10 to 20 minutes to finally detect it. Also, the last few times it detected the server, only videos in the Video section were shown, there was no Audio nor Pictures, which is also strange. Thanks for all your help!

The Audio is WMA Lossless based on WMA 10 Professional codec and encoded with the 9.2 Lossless profile. Some music is Zune DRM WMA 192kbps, and others are 256 VBR LAME MP3. The lossless files can be 44KHz and 16bit all the way up to 96KHz and 24bit.

Photos are all 8MP JPEGs.

Also, what I meant about profile was that I added the Playstation 3 profile in the Media Center Network settings.

Magic_Randy

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2011, 11:14:30 pm »

Thanks for the replies Magic_Randy, I figured what the issue is. The issue is that there is a delay when the PS3 is turned on to when it detects the Media Server. I never had this issue before. It takes from 10 to 20 minutes to finally detect it. Also, the last few times it detected the server, only videos in the Video section were shown, there was no Audio nor Pictures, which is also strange. Thanks for all your help!

The Audio is WMA Lossless based on WMA 10 Professional codec and encoded with the 9.2 Lossless profile. Some music is Zune DRM WMA 192kbps, and others are 256 VBR LAME MP3. The lossless files can be 44KHz and 16bit all the way up to 96KHz and 24bit.

Photos are all 8MP JPEGs.

Also, what I meant about profile was that I added the Playstation 3 profile in the Media Center Network settings.

Kind of strange. I get no delay. I can turn on the PS3 and open MC16 and it is immediately recognized. If you have a delay you can scroll up on the PS3 from any multi-media area (Music, Pictures, Video) and you will see an option to "Search for Media Servers". It will try to find any media server like MC. This is not a fix for the delay, but it may be a workaround.

I can view pictures with no problem. They are JPEGs.

I have no issue with music. They are 320kbps MP3s.

I don't do much with video. I get a stutter. This is because my network is wireless so it's too slow for video. The videos are mp4.

I don't know if this is relevant, but my PC is a Windows 7 32-bit. I checked and my PS3 is on the current version of firmware. And I'm on the latest version of MC16, although I've not had a problem with any version of MC16.

Magic_Randy

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2011, 11:29:10 pm »

...only videos in the Video section were shown, there was no Audio nor Pictures...

This could be your view setup in MC. Go to Add or configure DLNA servers. The first thing in the list is Customize views. Check those settings. If these are not correct you will not see anything on the PS3. I'm attaching mine as an example. I'll start with some of the Audio. If this helps and you need pictures, I can make images of those as well.

cubanresourceful

• Recent member
« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2011, 11:41:32 pm »

Sorry for the long delay, I also have the latest PS3 firmware and MC version. My views are fine as well, I checked them. I am confused as to the delay, the delay is actually much longer, I left the PS3 on for an hour and it still didn't show. Forcing it to look doesn't help either.

Magic_Randy

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2011, 11:53:56 pm »

Sorry for the long delay, I also have the latest PS3 firmware and MC version. My views are fine as well, I checked them. I am confused as to the delay, the delay is actually much longer, I left the PS3 on for an hour and it still didn't show. Forcing it to look doesn't help either.

Do you still have MC15 installed? As you had that working before, maybe that will lead to some clues.

cubanresourceful

• Recent member
« Reply #15 on: March 15, 2011, 02:04:18 am »

Do you still have MC15 installed? As you had that working before, maybe that will lead to some clues.
No, I do not have it installed anymore, but I may install it just to troubleshoot some things. Thanks for the help. :)

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: March 15, 2011, 09:13:14 am »

Is there a router or wireless AP between your PC and the PS3?
How about the firewall on the PC? Try disabling it temporarily and do the search for servers function on the PS3 again.
You could also try removing and re-adding the server configuration in MC.

jrouss

• Recent member
« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2011, 09:56:11 am »

Mine is working fine now on Win7 64. I missed the  additional selection under advanced "DLNA Server (share your media with other DLNA devices)", this needs to be checked.

cubanresourceful

• Recent member
« Reply #18 on: March 21, 2011, 08:33:58 pm »

Is there a router or wireless AP between your PC and the PS3?
How about the firewall on the PC? Try disabling it temporarily and do the search for servers function on the PS3 again.
You could also try removing and re-adding the server configuration in MC.

Yes, there is a Asus N-16 running DD-WRT. I'll also try removing/adding the server configuration in MC. Also I check out the firewall and see what's going on there. Thanks for the replies guys. :)

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: March 22, 2011, 09:59:06 am »

Yes, there is a Asus N-16 running DD-WRT. I'll also try removing/adding the server configuration in MC. Also I check out the firewall and see what's going on there. Thanks for the replies guys. :)
The multicast device discovery will NOT go through the N-16 if it's being used as a router. OTOH, If your PC is connected to the lan port and the PS3 is wireless (or both are wireless) it SHOULD work unless you are filtering the multicast packets in DD-WRT (I believe this IS a DD-WRT option).

cubanresourceful

• Recent member
« Reply #20 on: March 22, 2011, 03:05:24 pm »

The multicast device discovery will NOT go through the N-16 is it's being used as a router. OTOH, If your PC is connected to the lan port and the PS3 is wireless (or both are wireless) it SHOULD work unless you are filtering the multicast packets in DD-WRT (I believe this IS a DD-WRT option).

I was not aware of this. Before it worked correctly with a Linksys WRT54GS with DD-WRT as well. So, why would the N-16 be any different? My computer is connected to the LAN port on the router, as is my PS3. Actually, my computer is connected to two LAN ports, but that's because I have a dual NIC motherboard. :) I'll go through the DD-WRT options, I guess that's what's been messing up the media server streaming. Thanks again for all the help! :D

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: March 24, 2011, 09:27:56 am »

I was not aware of this. Before it worked correctly with a Linksys WRT54GS with DD-WRT as well. So, why would the N-16 be any different? My computer is connected to the LAN port on the router, as is my PS3. Actually, my computer is connected to two LAN ports, but that's because I have a dual NIC motherboard. :) I'll go through the DD-WRT options, I guess that's what's been messing up the media server streaming. Thanks again for all the help! :D
2 lan ports??
What is your network setup? What are the two LAN ports on the MB connected to??

cubanresourceful

• Recent member
« Reply #22 on: March 25, 2011, 01:48:38 pm »

2 lan ports??
What is your network setup? What are the two LAN ports on the MB connected to??
Haven't been able to do as you suggested, but my network setup is my Asus RT-16, with two cat5e cables going from my computer to ports 1 and 2 on the router, each physical NIC on my computer has a separate IP. The port 3 is connected to my PS3. And lastly, port 4 is free, for the time being. :)

Anything else? I am not a networking guru, so if something is funky, please let me know. :D

MrC

• Your life is short. Give me your money.
« Reply #23 on: March 25, 2011, 01:58:55 pm »

Unless you know what you are doing, there is no point to having two Ethernet cables (and 2 IPs) from your PC going to your router.   What problem are you trying to solve with this?
The opinions I express represent my own folly.

cubanresourceful

• Recent member
« Reply #24 on: March 27, 2011, 03:43:58 pm »

Unless you know what you are doing, there is no point to having two Ethernet cables (and 2 IPs) from your PC going to your router.   What problem are you trying to solve with this?
I was trying to double the throughput of my connections since I have a lot of data traveling from my computer to the server and the internet, so I disabled Automatic Metric on both NICs so that Windows would automatically assign transfers to either one. I guess I was doing it wrong lol? What I was trying to solve was when I was downloading something, streaming something from my server to the same computer would stutter.

Multicasting was disabled by default on my router, so I enabled it and everything is working fine. Thanks guys. :)

Magic_Randy

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #25 on: March 27, 2011, 08:44:24 pm »

Glad it worked out. I've been using the PS3 with MC for a long time, so I knew it worked.
Pages: [1]   Go Up