INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Album View v2: Another test version available  (Read 6612 times)

nila

RE:Album View v2: Another test version available
« Reply #50 on: June 12, 2002, 03:03:43 am »

Damn!!
I was hoping it was the doughnuts and hot chocolate Next Page

Cant wait to test the new release.
Hopefully it'll have fixed that sync error I get each time.

nila

« Reply #51 on: June 12, 2002, 02:10:11 pm »

Aww, no new test version Next Page

zevele1

« Reply #52 on: June 12, 2002, 03:56:02 pm »

Neander...

Concerning your next computer,you may have a look at a  'tower'
I got one since few days.Not that big,58 centimeter hight

I have room for cddvd-cdwritter-2 hard drives |PLS| 5 other spots for more hard drive
At this time i have only one 160 on the 5 other spots.If you have such a tower ,you can put extra hard drive when you want without changing your computer.
You will have hard drives with only music on it,i am sure.In this case you do not need to buy the most performant drives

30|PLS|40|PLS|160 now,next 160 in november..........

RhinoBanga

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Developer
« Reply #53 on: June 13, 2002, 12:10:30 am »

I have identified the problem.

I am using the Infragistics treeview control for speed and to provide the skin colour support ... unfortunately there seems to be a licensing issue when using the tvw within a usercontrol.

I am awaiting feedback from them on this problem.

If I don't hear anything back from them bu the weekend then I will strip it out and put back the MS tvw.

Neanderthaler

« Reply #54 on: June 13, 2002, 10:48:15 am »

Thanks Zevele, I do think about a tower, and I like the real big once
I have a desktop now, but that is because it is from the office,
It is limited in all expantions,
As you probably know there are so many choices, but  do think that I will assemble one myself
That way thee are no limitations what so ever, and I by the components were they are the cheapest!

zevele1

« Reply #55 on: June 13, 2002, 11:54:59 am »

If you are ready to spend money to get what you want,in this case a big tower is the thing to do:you spend money once,and before it is full...........
And if you are good enought -i'am not- to built the inside
,it is even better

The price of the tower i got was only a third more that an 'eternal box' for one drive and usb 1-mind you-
For a third of the price more i have room for 5 drives

Another funny[?] thing.When i got fast connection,the company sold me an external erthernet card.Inside the tower i put an internal one.It was so cheap that i gave a try.I get the same result with the internal than with the external
But...i can buy FIVE internal for the price i paid the external............

So if you can built on your own,you are on the good side of the fence

nila

« Reply #56 on: June 13, 2002, 05:05:53 pm »

Good luck fixing it Rhino,

Did u have any luck working out the sync problem?
I'm hoping that this version will work for me so I can start using it Next Page

Frank

« Reply #57 on: June 18, 2002, 04:44:22 am »

Quiet before the storm?

RhinoBanga

• Developer
« Reply #58 on: June 18, 2002, 05:37:32 am »

LOL!

It's quiet as I have been busy doing other projects that earn me £££ ... but I will be working on AV a bit tonight.

The good news is that I now have something that is actually usable, i.e. it can play music, and I have stripped out the infragistics stuff.
Also I gave Nila a version to try a few days ago and it worked Next Page

When you see the next test version, which should be either tonight or tomorrow, I think you'll be impressed with the way it looks/works.

By the way if people are wondering why it's taking so long over my initial estimation it's becuase I have decided to go the whole hog and totally revamp the UI.

shelly

« Reply #59 on: June 18, 2002, 06:19:53 am »

I can't wait to try it! I hope it's tonight Next Page

RhinoBanga

• Developer
« Reply #60 on: June 18, 2002, 12:46:52 pm »

Friends,

I have uploaded the latest test version for you to look at.

Things to look out for:

1)  MJ skin/font support ... you may have to enable this is the options
2)  MS Outlook XP style
3)  Treeview is simplier and matches the XP theme correctly, e.g. the |PLS|/- buttons
4)  When hilighting incomplete items in the treeview the icons change
5)  Progress now reports actual time spent
6)  In the album details screen there is now an option to sort the entries by Name/Rank/Year.   It's not working just yet but it will be soon.
7)  The overview screen isn't working yet ... I'll get around to that eventually.
8)  Since mu thumbnail control has been replaced with a listview MS wheel mouse is nativly supported ... but the nice look'n'feel of my control has gone ... for now Next Page

Remember it's a test version and there is lots of bugs still.

nila

« Reply #61 on: June 18, 2002, 01:47:58 pm »

Nice job,
it's coming along nicely.
Lots more working now than in the last test version I had.

Couple of things:
1. After you select the AV plugin it shows the activity log as it's first processing everything. This then just goes grey when it's finished and all the info disappears. It should either: Still show the info or it should go to a different screen automatically. A blank grey screen isn't too interesting Next Page
2. The tabs in the overview screen - it's nice that they're clear, but I think I prefered having all the letters on the screen without having to scroll left and right. This could just be me personally though so maybe worth asking other people's opinions.
3. Album details screen: The thumbnails here seem to be the same size as they are going to be in the overview screen. I'd personally rather them smaller here as it's a much smaller space - dont know if making an option to display them smaller might however bring back the old image problems.
4. When selecting an album in the Album details screen it'd be nice if the appropriate album thumbnail for that artist was shown highlighted on the right.
5. Track listing in Album details doesn't seem to be by track # and I cant seem to get it too either.
6. Album details - when browsing by Genre/Artist/Album, Clicking on an artist inside a genre does not update the thumbnails on the right.
7. Managed to get a runtime error: 0 when playing with 'Options' next to track Listing in the Album Details screen then it was dead.

8. For this options screen, how come it's labeled: Options then has View screen inside of that as a sub menu - add's an extra click to the process which for the moment at least seems unnecessary.
9. If I choose thumbnail for the View screen it's not showing the thumbnail.
10. The wizard is being wierd. When I try to manually enter data it's becoming corrupted. This is a screen shot when I tried to select the destination for the database. This is what it drew instead of the correct path (all the other screens seem to be doing this too)

After this happens it seems to be freezing although it recovers again but still has dodgy data.
I'll try restarting my computer later and see if it still happens.

Not sure how much of this you knew as it was a test version and so it was meant to have things not working/bugs etc but I just thought I'd let you know all the ones I could find.

This plugin is REALLY developing nice.
v1 was nice and did it's job.
v2 is V. NICE and does it's job well and is starting to look darn good too. Once you've finished it I think you should definitely consider charging $5 for it. It's not alot to ask each person but it should give you a nice hefty amount over time, especially as MJ starts succeeding in it's plans for world domination.

Ilmar

• World Citizen
  • JOATYou mean besides music?
« Reply #62 on: June 18, 2002, 01:56:34 pm »

Hi

Installed great! Won't give you all the niggles, I am sure you have your own task list!!

Stats:
Artists       542
Albums       1556
Track Array 23919
Thumbnails    832

Total time to create 14:26
Total Time to reload 00:40

Brilliant!

Ilmar
Ilmar

"We make a living by what we get,
But we make a life by what we give"
     Sir WInston Churchill

shelly

« Reply #63 on: June 18, 2002, 05:30:49 pm »

Hi Rhino,

Dont' seem to be having much luck with the new version.  It gets as far as adding treeview entries, opens to the treeview, but there are no entries and both the menubar and icons are greyed out. What now?

Shelly

JaredH

• Superfluously Articulate
« Reply #64 on: June 18, 2002, 07:01:12 pm »

Rhino,

You were talking about having a few days with Neaderthalers computer and the amount of songs he had. If i remember correctly there was a thread not too long ago where someone, MachineHead ,if i remember correctly (please forgive me Machine if im wrong), posted that he had over 720GB of hd space and over 133000 songs in his database. Now i would like to get my hands on that for a few days. Its hard to imagine what kind of wonderful collection he has.
J. A. Hayslett

Blog & Gallery - http://www.bgracetfaith.net

RhinoBanga

• Developer
« Reply #65 on: June 18, 2002, 10:32:17 pm »

Nila:
1)  I've seen that a couple of times but I haven't located the issue yet.   I think it's to do with the remembering the last screen position.
2)  Totally forget about the overview screen.  The version you have is not how it's going to eventually look.
3)  That is something I can do but not just now.
4)  That's not implemented yet.
5)  Can you show me a screenshot please.
6)  That's not implemented yet.
7)  I'll see if I can reproduce it.
8)  Because there will be other items in there eventually.
9)  That's not implemented yet.
10) Your screenshots didn't appear.

Ilmar:
Excellent ... I'm glad to hear it's more usable now.   Out of interest how long did v1 take to load?

Shelly:
Can you email me a trace file please.   Full instructions are in the README.

Jared:
I think the problem with having that many items is that you would never get round to listening to them all!

nila

« Reply #66 on: June 18, 2002, 11:57:46 pm »

5. - No need for a screen shot.
It seems to have fixed itself (haven't done anything to the computer, not even restarted it. Just opened up MJ and it was working??
Cant wait till this is finished Next Page.

Good luck with it.

RhinoBanga

• Developer
« Reply #67 on: June 19, 2002, 12:22:14 am »

Nila,

I have a sneaky suspicion this is an MJ issue as I have noticed it as well.   After I have created the AV database all tracks are fine, then after a while of opening/closing MJ (without doing any adds/deletes/updates) suddenly all the track information is wrong.   For an album all I store in my database is index offsets within the MJ search list ... and if this is returned differently from when I first created the AV database that would explain what is happening.

I tried to verify this last night but I couldn't reproduce it ... I will spend more time on it tonight.

But if this is the case then I will have to abandon AV Next Page

Let's hope it's not!

dave

« Reply #68 on: June 19, 2002, 05:01:31 am »

Hi I just downloade dthe new version and it is workingg very well.

Any thoughts on adding a right click menu, so if you highlight and album there could be a play choice, add to playing now, etc...  also a list such as play track #x on right click would be cool.

thank

RhinoBanga

• Developer
« Reply #69 on: June 19, 2002, 05:08:55 am »

Dave,

Thats sort of stuff is in the released version (v1) and will be in v2 when it gets to alpha/beta stage.

bobS

« Reply #70 on: June 19, 2002, 05:16:09 am »

> have a sneaky suspicion this is an MJ issue as I have noticed it as well. After I have created the AV database all tracks are fine, then after a while of opening/closing MJ (without doing any adds/deletes/updates) suddenly all the track information is wrong. For an album all I store in my database is index offsets within the MJ search list ... and if this is returned differently from when I first created the AV database that would explain what is happening.

It would seem that a clean API to a playback engine would be the simplest part of your brilliant album-view-centric efforts.  Why not drop MJ entirely, avoid its 'mysteries', and produce a stand alone product? Seems like some users enjoy participating and contributing to a pure technical approach.  Why not go for it?

nila

« Reply #71 on: June 19, 2002, 05:36:39 am »

Hmm, I personally would like it if you stuck with MJ just cause of it's additional features (burning etc).
If there was a problem I'm sure you could speak to Matt or one of the other programmers and they'd be willing to help you sort it out by tweaking a few lines of code so that MJ worked with AV. I'm pretty sure I remember a few of them saying they use it.

shelly

« Reply #72 on: June 19, 2002, 06:30:35 am »

I agree with Nila, completely.  The beauty of AV is it's integration with MJ, even if that integration is somewhat limited. Why reinvent the wheel, when we have an awesome product in MJ?  I think we'd all be better served by improving the AV/MJ integration. Just my 2 cents worth.

Shelly

RhinoBanga

• Developer
« Reply #73 on: June 19, 2002, 09:12:51 am »

Friends,

I have proved that MJ is returning a random sequence of tracks from it's database when using the Search function Next Page

I have notified J River of the issue and am awaiting their response.

henry

« Reply #74 on: June 19, 2002, 10:49:22 am »

>I have proved that MJ is returning a random sequence of tracks from it's database when using the Search function

Software is VERY hard to test and fully debug.
The only method ever proven to work is intensive peer review and open code.
I'll wager JRiver has spent as much time attemping to write, and re-write, bug-proof buy, license, and license restore code as the core jukebox code!
Wish someone could figure out a better way to compensate those like JRiver and RhinoBanga for their efforts.
Any ideas?
I had three. 1- Donations, 2- Limited embedded advertisements/promotions, 3- Subscritions to online help and tutorials (maybe $5 per month).  The last is particularly interesting for those who enjoy the technical learning/enabling process as much as the actual playing of music.

JMHO ... flame away!!

sekim

« Reply #75 on: June 23, 2002, 03:06:30 am »

RhinoBanga,

Have you made any headway into this problem? I've kind of stayed away from the use of the plug-in until further progress has been made. But, I am certainly looking forward to the finished product as much as I did of MJ 8.

Jared,

I think you must have meant KingSparta. He is the reigning 'King' of file mongership. I too would like to have collection that large some day.

henry,

Options 1 & 3 may be plausible. But the advertising is ICKY at best. People go to a lot of trouble to keep ads off of their computers.

RhinoBanga

• Developer
« Reply #76 on: June 23, 2002, 03:37:14 am »

MachineHead,

Yes ... the issue has been worked around thanks to Matt with little (or no) loss of performance Next Page

I will be back onto AV starting next week ... this weekend I have being adding more stuff to a program I wrote for a friend.

Also since people seem so keen to send me money I am going to setup a PayPal account and people can donate whatever they want.   Hopefully I can get enough to get myself nice big HDD to keep all my MP3's on Next Page

sekim

« Reply #77 on: June 23, 2002, 03:50:31 am »

>>>> Yes ... the issue has been worked around thanks to Matt with little (or no) loss of performance <<<<

This being the case, is the current link at the top of the page good to go as far as latest mule?

RhinoBanga

• Developer
« Reply #78 on: June 23, 2002, 03:52:58 am »

Wait till tomorrow evening ... I'll put another one up then with the sorting fix in it.

sekim

« Reply #79 on: June 23, 2002, 04:12:24 am »

Will do. Thanks Rhino. Next Page

nila

« Reply #80 on: June 23, 2002, 02:50:43 pm »

Wahey, cant wait for a new build.
I was just gonna post a message asking what was happening with it.
Small favour - can you start a new thread for your new build. This one is getting a bit long winded to put it mildly.
Plus, it'll be easier to keep track of the bugs etc in the latest build if you start a new thread for it.

Good luck proggin.
Gotta say, Matt is a bit of a Gem. Gotta love the guy. Next Page

RhinoBanga

• Developer
« Reply #81 on: June 24, 2002, 01:41:15 am »

I agree Nila ... I'll start a new thread.

Don't expect anything different from the version you have with the exception of the sorting issue ... but I am working on it this week so should have the Overview screen done by the weekend.

nila

« Reply #82 on: June 24, 2002, 07:47:12 am »

Good good,
any ETA for the working version of 2?

RhinoBanga

• Developer
« Reply #83 on: June 24, 2002, 09:08:17 am »

Well it's "working" now ... but it'll be "finished" in a month or so.

I am only getting 2 hrs an evening and 10hrs at the weekend to work on it.

RhinoBanga

• Developer
« Reply #84 on: June 24, 2002, 11:52:32 am »

Friends,

I have just uploaded another test version for you to play with.

It fixes the sort issue as well as implements more stuff in the Album Details screen.

I will start a new thread when I upload something more substantial.

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #85 on: June 24, 2002, 11:58:16 am »

>> I am only getting 2 hrs an evening and 10hrs at the weekend to work on it.
You Don't Need To Spend Time With the Wife And Kids Do You?

That Should Be Optional.

Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA

RhinoBanga

• Developer
« Reply #86 on: June 24, 2002, 12:16:32 pm »

LOL ... I wish!!!

shelly

« Reply #87 on: June 24, 2002, 07:11:07 pm »

Rhino,

I was hoping for a miracle!  But, the thumbnails still don't display and the menus continue to be greyed out.  I tried uninstalling and reinstalling but no luck.  

Shelly

RhinoBanga

• Developer
« Reply #88 on: June 25, 2002, 01:18:19 am »

Shelly,

I am totally bamboozled ... I tried your DB here and everything was fine.

What OS you running?

Can you post a small screenshot of what AV looks like with the menu's greyed out.

I saw a similar problem once on my W2K server machine but I fixed it.

shelly

« Reply #89 on: June 25, 2002, 03:01:53 am »

Rhino,

I posted the screenshot in the new thread.

Shelly
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up