INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Sort by track number  (Read 8128 times)

chuckly

• Recent member
Sort by track number
« on: March 18, 2011, 09:57:12 pm »

Some of my recently modified files are showing up in incorrect order. I can sort by track number and see several files in correct numerical order, then there are other files listed below them in incorrect order. E.g. track numbers 1111223333344455556667771344455. I tried renaming all of the files, hoping that would rearrange them, but they stay in that order. Any thoughts? Thanks, Chuck

MrC

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Your life is short. Give me your money.
Re: Sort by track number
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2011, 01:07:38 am »

Change the track # tag, not the file name.  You can then rename the file according to the tags.
The opinions I express represent my own folly.

chuckly

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2011, 10:19:00 pm »

I’ve tried that, still keeps odd order!

Thanks again, Chuck

MrC

« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2011, 10:38:29 pm »

Can you show a screenshot of the particular album view that shows the problem?

chuckly

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2011, 02:44:30 pm »

How do I create a screenshot?

- Chuck

MrC

chuckly

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2011, 04:30:43 pm »

So, I figured out how to take a screenshot, but not how to upload or attach it!

- Chuck

MrC

« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2011, 04:36:46 pm »

Until you've been a member of Interact for a sufficient amount of time (eg. # of posts), uploading is disabled.  You can use JRiver's own Pix01 or any other image sharing site.  Just include the URL in your post.  If you want the image to appear, surround by [ img ] [ /img ] tags (removing the spaces I added to allow the tags to appear here.

http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Pix01

chuckly

• Recent member
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2011, 05:08:37 pm »

I took this screenshot:

http://www.pix01.com/gallery/F5F49CC5-2999-4818-ACF2-9409E7881630/capture/bigpage.html?image=322917938_orig0.jpg

of  files by Freddie Mercury & Queen. Above this are other files listed correctly by track order, from 1 to  32, then there are several unnumbered tracks, then incorrectly ordered tracks, which should have been displayed on the top (unseen) portion of the screen. The correctly listed ones are also shown in the filenames as 01,02,03 etc. I’ve tried renaming all the files, deleting and re-entering track numbers, and everything else I could think of. This problem only seems to affect files which were added recently, but date created, date modified, and date imported are now the same for most of the files. Thanks again!

- Chuck

MrC

« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2011, 05:17:20 pm »

Ok, so it appears that there are a number of files w/out the [track # tags].  Since all your file names appear to have the track number included, select the tracks that are missing tag information (eg. empty track and album columns), right click and select Library Tools->Fill properties from filename, and enter the setting for Filename to [Artist] - [Album] - [Name] - [Track #].  This should pull the info from the file names, populating the tags.

chuckly

• Recent member
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2011, 03:41:59 pm »

O.K. I did that, but I included [name] in the filename field ([Artist] - [Name] - [Album] - [Track #]). Still having the same problem. If I don’t use the [name] field, will my filenames still be correct, or will I lose that info? Thanks again,

- Chuck

MrC

« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2011, 04:03:31 pm »

There are a number of ways to accomplish what I think you are trying to accomplish.  Which one is easiest for you, or the best method to use, really depends on your long term goals.  Once the learning curve is behind you, this will all become clearer.

For now, probably the simplest method to start with, for a single album, is to add track numbers manually into the [track #] field.  Then, when things look correct, rename your files according to your personal naming scheme, using the tool I mentioned earlier.

The MC internal database contains the track meta-information, so you can rename the files w/out concern.  If the renamed files are not as you desire, just rename them again.

Keep in mind - the data MC shows in the views, the meta data in the tags, and the names of audio files are *independent*.   The MC tools available allow you to coordinate this data to your personal needs.

chuckly

• Recent member
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2011, 10:58:32 pm »

I’ve done that, renamed all the files by a particular artist, then “renamed, moved and copied” with the correct track numbers, but when I sort by track number, several are still in the wrong place! This problem only recently began, I have about 45,000 files and all of the older ones are in the right order. I can’t figure out what the difference between the older and newer ones is!

- Chuck

chuckly

• Recent member
« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2011, 11:17:47 pm »

Wait! Wait! Wait! I just discovered that there was information imported into an expression column called “Disc Number”, which I never use, that showed the erroneously ordered track as higher numbered discs. I cleared that field and now it seems to arrange the files correctly. Thank you again for all of your help,

- Chuck
Pages: [1]   Go Up