INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: A Good Money maker for you guys  (Read 1614 times)

skylarplane

• Galactic Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
A Good Money maker for you guys
« on: March 21, 2011, 04:15:09 pm »

I know I'm not the only one who has problems with MCx from time to time.  It would be a good option to have
you be able to remote connect our our PC and help us fix our problems.  Of course there would
be a hopefully reasonable charge.  One would need to have an account setup that you could
charge to but I think it would serve two purposes, it helps all of us alot and you could make extra
money along the road.

What does everyone else think of this idea.

MrC

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Your life is short. Give me your money.
Re: A Good Money make for your guys
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2011, 04:19:50 pm »

Support generally costs more than customers are ever willing to pay.  It is time consuming affair.

But it is a nice idea.  I'm sure there are plenty of people in the forums here (Interact) that will be happy to offer assistance.  TeamViewer is a good option.
The opinions I express represent my own folly.

MrHaugen

« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2011, 04:04:47 am »

To have it's own support staff for this things would probably cost way more than it pays. We have a very helpful community here, and most people get the help they need here. Other options for remote control have been discussed though. I would not mind a built in remote function in MC, where you can sign up as a tutor with your special field of knowledge, and people can ask for help. If you have the time, then you can help out.
- I may not always believe what I'm saying

skylarplane

• Galactic Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2011, 11:23:38 am »

Yes, I think remote help would be really great if MC could set it up.  Most problems probably could be solved
in just a couple of minutes with someone who is extremely good with MC would help enhance the use
of MC software to more folks.  For some reason when major changes comes through it doesn't always
copy everything over as it once was and makes it hard to correct some changes.

Thanks, Skylar

rick.ca

Re: A Good Money maker for you guys
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2011, 04:01:09 pm »

Most problems probably could be solved in just a couple of minutes with someone who is extremely good with MC...

I think this expectation dooms the service—especially if a fee is involved. If a helper needs to connect to your computer to solve a problem, it's likely they don't know exactly what the problem is. If they did, they would just tell you how to fix it. Yes, it might be easier for both if the helper fixed the problem directly, but most issues require the user to understand what is being done—or they'll just run into the same problem again. So, in most cases, the helper connecting to your computer knows the problem will be solved in a few minutes, an hour, or not at all. They know you'll probably be happy to pay a nominal fee for a few minutes, but you'll probably not be happy paying for an hour—especially if the problem is not solved. And you'll be really unhappy if the problem is made worse...

There is a place for this, but probably only after other methods (like discussing it here) have narrowed things down. Both the user and the helper need to have a clear understanding of and expectation about what the helper is going to do. It can be a effective way to demonstrate how something is done, or to troubleshoot something difficult to explain to an inexperience user. The TeamViewer solution mentioned by MrC appears to be easy to use, effective and free. There's no need for MC to set anything up or JRiver to be involved in any way—if this is the method a user and willing helper deem to be most effective in the circumstances. I'm sure a TeamViewer session can be recorded, so that might provide an effective way to share a solution with a wider audience.
Pages: [1]   Go Up