INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Gizmo for Android questions/usage (unpause after call, playlist not advancing)  (Read 2007 times)

stanger89

• MC Beta Team
  • Junior Woodchuck

So, in addition to playing with MC16 recently, I just got a Thunderbolt :D, so I've been playing with Gizmo too.  So far I like it, but I've got a couple questions, maybe feature requests.

First thing, in my playing I've found that it quite nicely pauses playback when a phone call occurs.  Now I've got some nice Audio Technica's or Etymotic's that I listen with, and I like both very much.  The "problem" is if you're using these, or any mic-less cans, you've got to unplug them when you take a phone call, which isn't an issue until you end the call, at which point whatever you were listening to resumes but blaring out the phone's speaker.  Is there a setting to make Gizmo not unpause automatically at the end of a call?

The other thing I've noticed is that I've got a pretty short timeout on my phone and while the current song keeps playing when the phone times out, it fails to start playing the next song in the playlist, I have to wake the phone, unlock it, and hit play again for each track.  Is there a setting or option I'm missing (maybe buried in Android if not in Gizmo) to change this?

Thanks again, and sorry for the semi-spam today, just having some fun playing with my new toys and running into questions.

Chad

audunth

• Citizen of the Universe

Why do you have to unplug the headset to take a call? All phones I've ever tried lets you talk through the mic on the phone while listening through a micless headset.
Cheers,
Audun

My system:
ASUS  P8Z68 V-PRO/GEN3, 8GB RAM, Core i5-2500K
EVGA Nvidia GTX 970 SSC, 4GB RAM
Antec P180 case w/Seasonic X460 fanless PSU, water cooled by Zalman Reserator 1+ w/extra DDC pump
Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit
Sony VPL-HW30ES 3D projector
Yamaha RX-V3900 receiver and custom built 2Ch power amp for front/stereo speakers
Klipsch Reference/SVS 7.1 speaker system
Always running the latest available version of MC

stanger89

• MC Beta Team
  • Junior Woodchuck

It's rather hard to wear something like AT900's (large over-ear) or ER6's (highly isolating in-ear) while talking on the phone, well much more so the AT900s than the ER6's.  Truthfully, I haven't played that much yet, but the people I know with similar phone ended up getting cans with built in microphones, but there's no way I'm replacing my cans for worse ones with a microphone.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!

The other thing I've noticed is that I've got a pretty short timeout on my phone and while the current song keeps playing when the phone times out, it fails to start playing the next song in the playlist, I have to wake the phone, unlock it, and hit play again for each track.  Is there a setting or option I'm missing (maybe buried in Android if not in Gizmo) to change this?

Are you playing with a data connection (3G, etc.)?

While Gizmo is playing, it should prevent Wifi and the CPU from sleeping.  But Gizmo does not have explicit code to keep the data connection alive during playback.

This would be a nice enhancement.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

stanger89

• MC Beta Team
  • Junior Woodchuck

Yup playing over 3G. It's weird it plays fine for one song, but when it ends it doesn't continue on to the next song.  I have to "wake" the phone and hit the resume button to start the next song.

--edit

Actually, let me amend this, it's actually got nothing to do with the sleepyness of the phone, I set the screen to not time out, and it still stops between songs, and I have to hit the "Resume Playback" button between each song.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!

Yup playing over 3G. It's weird it plays fine for one song, but when it ends it doesn't continue on to the next song.  I have to "wake" the phone and hit the resume button to start the next song.

--edit

Actually, let me amend this, it's actually got nothing to do with the sleepyness of the phone, I set the screen to not time out, and it still stops between songs, and I have to hit the "Resume Playback" button between each song.

Does it matter how you start playback?  Does the playlist show that it has a list of songs (click left-most list icon in Playing Now to see playlist)?

Does it matter what types of files you play?  For example, if you play an mp3 from the server does it do something different than playing a different format?

Thanks.

stanger89

• MC Beta Team
  • Junior Woodchuck

I tried a few things, and it appears to be limited to my custom smartlist.  If I play a predefined one, like "Top Hits", the playlist advances fine, but the smartlists I defined don't, they'll display "Preparing..." and then stop.    And yes more than one file shows up in the playlist.  Looking at the Media Network log, it appears to send a small amount of data, oddly seems to be 64.3kB every time. 

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!

I tried a few things, and it appears to be limited to my custom smartlist.  If I play a predefined one, like "Top Hits", the playlist advances fine, but the smartlists I defined don't, they'll display "Preparing..." and then stop.    And yes more than one file shows up in the playlist.  Looking at the Media Network log, it appears to send a small amount of data, oddly seems to be 64.3kB every time. 

Strange.  Once Gizmo gets a list of files, it shouldn't matter where they came from.

I'm wondering if this is the same problem as this: http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=63341

Something like the server being borderline too slow for some reason.

stanger89

• MC Beta Team
  • Junior Woodchuck

Yeah, they do seem likely related.  I was playing with Gizmo last night at home (but connected to 3G not WiFi, so over the Internet), while watching the Media Network log in MC on the server, and MC seemed to get and respond to the requests right away, regardless of whether playback worked or not.

Unfortunately I can't do the same sort of test at work with MC.
Pages: [1]   Go Up