INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Compilation CD's, Yet Again  (Read 8477 times)

cycler2

• Recent member
Compilation CD's, Yet Again
« on: November 02, 2011, 05:14:10 pm »

Some (but not all) of my compilation CDs appear as multiple albums in "Album" view in MC16.  I searched Interact and found many posts about this, which, in summary, state that "MC thinks songs belong to the same album if they have the same "album title" and "album artist."  Made sense to me, so I invoked the "tag" dialogue for each instance of the compilation album.  I found "artist," "name," and "album" input boxes, but no "album artist" box.  I inserted the same name for "artist" "name" and "album" but the ripped cd still displays as multiple albums.  I am missing something and would appreciate some guidance on how to persuade MC16 to display compilation albums as one.

rick.ca

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Compilation CD's, Yet Again
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2011, 06:14:26 pm »

Clicking on the icon on the left of the Tagging Window header reveals options for what tags to display.

Vincent Kars

« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2011, 06:19:48 pm »

"MC thinks songs belong to the same album if they have the same "album title" and "album artist." 
You need to tag the “album artist”
In the tag panel there is a drop down button in the upper left corner.
Choose “show all tags”

Alternative: choose the album and display all the details (the tracks).
Right click on any column and choose “album artist” to display.
You can use multi line editing to populate it with e.g. “Various Artist”

cycler2

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2011, 02:27:57 pm »

Thanks Rick and Vincent.  I'll give it a try.
Rich

cycler2

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2011, 02:43:26 pm »

It worked!  Thanks, again, guys.
Rich

Dingman

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2015, 07:56:56 am »

OK, I'm going to try one last time before I give up.

How to group various artist compliations into the correct one album without loosing the actual artist name? I've tried several times and am failing.
I've tried changing artist, album artist, album name - I can get them regrouped, but only by making the Album Artist match, which then overwrites the actual Artist name, thus loosing that.

For Example, using the Heavy Metal album pictured above.
Here is a track that is not grouped - Nazareth. (jriver01 pic)
Then change the "Album Artist" - jriver02 pic - notice the artist has automatically updated and wiped out Nazareth.

Dingman

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2015, 07:00:27 am »

Well, I grouped the compilation tracks into a single album following the directions above - but as I mentioned, my artist text was automatically changed to match the Album Artist. I couldn't see how to disable this, as I can go back and change the artist back to the correct text, and the compilation remains intact.

Now, I'll search and see if I can find how to correct the ripping behavior, it would be nice if this were handled automatically (without losing the artist name) when the CD is ripped.

Thanks!

blgentry

« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2015, 12:41:13 pm »

You are posting about MC16, which I've never seen or used.  I've only used MC20 and 21.  In those versions, setting Album Artist does not affect Artist in any way.  They aren't linked and each one can have completely independent values.  It's very odd that you're seeing Artist change when you change Album Artist.

Is this behavior repeatable?

Brian.
Pages: [1]   Go Up