INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: DSP: Headphone setting (what does it do?)  (Read 6541 times)

jmone

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • I won! I won!
DSP: Headphone setting (what does it do?)
« on: May 08, 2011, 06:08:03 am »

Test disk with the eagles Blu-ray using the 2ch PCM track and I was playing with various DSP settings listening on headphones.  While most DSP effects had a noticeable the headphone settings seemed to make nil difference to me.  Am I getting old or am I missing something?
Thanks
Nathan
JRiver CEO Elect

Frobozz

• Citizen of the Universe
  • There is a small mailbox here.
Re: DSP: Headphone setting (what does it do?)
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2011, 12:31:44 pm »

The crossfeed effect is subtle.  The amount of the effect it has depends on the headphones used, the quality of the headphone amp used, and the nature of the recording.

A high quality headphone is going to let you hear the effect better than a lower quality headphone.  A fully closed headphone is going to be different than a fully open headphone in terms of how the crossfeed effect sounds.

A recording that already has a very good and very natural stereo typically doesn't gain as much as a studio recording where the stereo is all created on a mixing board.  So try a variety of different recordings.  Older stereo recordings where hard panned to the left or right can benefit greatly (in relative terms) from some headphone crossfeed.  For example, Grateful Dead "American Beauty" or "Workingman's Dead", some Queen songs, etc.

I don't know what sort of processing the J River crossfeed effect is doing.  There are various models and methods for doing headphone crossfeed.  HeadRoom and Meier-Audio have some info on headphone crossfeed implementation and theory.  Both HeadRoom and Meier-Audio offer headphone amps with a crossfeed circuit.  The HeadRoom and Meier crossfeeds are built with circuits so are rather simple in what they do.  Computer DSP effects can do a lot more and can do more sophisticated modeling (head-related transfer function) and processing.
Pages: [1]   Go Up