INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Unassigned even if correctly tagged  (Read 10068 times)

frob

• Recent member
Unassigned even if correctly tagged
« on: May 16, 2011, 09:43:58 pm »

Hi,

there are many songs in my library that remain unassigned even though they appear to be correctly tagged. I see no illegal characters.

I have check some of these albums song by song and I can't find the problem. Artist, album, genre, year and more are tagged.

This question might have been asked before, but my searches brought up nothing relevant.

None of my music has been ripped via MC, by the way, but the problem only affects a small percentage of my library, so I don't see what's different about these 500-1000 songs.

Thanks in advance for any hint.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Unassigned even if correctly tagged
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2011, 07:09:27 am »

What format are the files?

frob

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2011, 08:24:28 am »

I think the files that have this problem are all MP3.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2011, 09:05:49 am »

Select one file, right click and try using Library Tools, Update Library from Tags.

frob

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2011, 06:58:10 pm »

It doesn't work, but I realized that wiping all the tags and entering them all again manually works.

It's tedious work, though.

I'm trying to figure out if the problem can be pinned down to one specific field or character...

frob

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2011, 10:07:39 pm »

I found some songs that had a period in the Editor field. For example : "Warner Bros."

Removing the period allowed MC to digest the tags and file the songs properly.

What's unfortunate is that a single problematic character in one field prevents MC from importing any field from a file.

Is there a ressource listing all the unallowed characters?
Are the unallowed characters the same for every field?

kensn

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2011, 10:37:40 pm »

I don't think the "." was the problem, rather that some files were tagged Bros. and others Bros (no period). That would result in not combining them into an album if it was in the Album Name tag.

"a single problematic character in one field prevents MC from importing any field from a file"

If you look at the tags for a song all the tags are there correct...

Just thinking out loud....

Ken
If(IsEmpty([Coffee Cup]), Coffee, Drink)

frob

• Recent member
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2011, 11:15:07 pm »

Ken,

what's going on is stranger than that : it looks like something fishy is going on with the "Label" field (I'm not sure if it's "Editor" or "Label", my MC is in french : "Editeur").

I just tested your hypothesis on an album for which all songs but two were "unassigned". All the unassigned" songs showed no Artist, Album, or Year info in MC, even though these fields were filled-in in the the song files.

I checked the "Label" tag on some correctly imported songs and on some "unassigned" songs also. All songs had "Grand Royal" as the label (no period). I deleted the Label field for all songs, updated the library and all songs were now classified correctlyl! Not only were the songs correctly comingled as an album, but all the previously blank fields were suddenly filled.

The only thing I did is deleted the "Label" Field.

I then tried to fill the "Label" field again with "Grand Royal" and this did not destroy anything. The whole album still shows as an album and all fields (Artist, Album, Year, etc.) are still showing.

Doesn't this look like a bug?

kensn

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2011, 12:17:19 am »

I have neither Label or Editor in the US version of MC as a default tag that shows up when I select "Show all tags". I do have Publisher. I am a fairly new user so I do not know if the two tags you mention transfer over to MC or they were specific to the Tag editor you were using. This could be a clue to the problem you are having though...

Ken
If(IsEmpty([Coffee Cup]), Coffee, Drink)
Pages: [1]   Go Up