INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Managing podcast  (Read 2510 times)

chew.isaac

• Recent member
Managing podcast
« on: May 26, 2011, 12:18:45 am »

Hi,

I am migrating to jriver from itunes.

I have trouble managing my existing audio and video podcasts which are all residing in the itunes folder in my laptop in their proper folders managed by itunes and is now monitored by MC.

1) when I subscribe to an audio podcast in MC only some existing episodes in the itunes folder belonging to that podcast are shown under MC/podcast/podcast name. Many existing audio episodes in the itunes folder are not discovered. Though all existing episodes are discovered under MC/audio.

2) when I subscribe to a video podcast in MC, none of the existing podcast episodes in the itunes folder is discovered. The video podcasts shown in MC/podcast/podcast name are all waiting to be downloaded.

I would appreciate any advice on how to get MC to discover all my existing podcast episodes in the itunes folder when I start to download podcasts from MC and stop using itunes. Thank you.

MrC

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Your life is short. Give me your money.
Re: Managing podcast
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2011, 12:48:24 am »

It might be best not to try to manage them in both at the same time.

Setup your podcast schedules within MC, so that all your future podcasts will download as expected.

For your existing recordings, you can either move them into MC's folders, either some audio folder or a specific podcast folder you want.

I believe a podcast is designated by the Media Sub Type field, so after you import these into MC, you can simply change the Sub Type and MC will recognize them as podcasts.  Select one of your files under Audio, and use the Tag section in the Action window to change the field.  Or you can add a Sub Type column to an audio pane and make the change there.  Once you see how this works, you can change the rest in one shot.
The opinions I express represent my own folly.

chew.isaac

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2011, 01:54:29 am »

I realized I need to set MC to also recognize video when monitoring the music folder for the video podcasts to be discovered.

In MC usage say I have audio podcasts. Do I listen to them on the MC/Audio menu or do I listen to them using the MC/Podcast menu? I suspect you will suggest the former? I am asking as MC/Podcast menu is not discovering my existing podcast well for a certain subscribed podcast. Some existing episodes are found, many are not found. Though the existing podcasts are all in the same folder and I have verified all their media sub-field have all be set to "podcast".

MrC

« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2011, 12:07:53 pm »

In MC usage say I have audio podcasts. Do I listen to them on the MC/Audio menu or do I listen to them using the MC/Podcast menu? I suspect you will suggest the former?

I am asking as MC/Podcast menu is not discovering my existing podcast well for a certain subscribed podcast. Some existing episodes are found, many are not found. Though the existing podcasts are all in the same folder and I have verified all their media sub-field have all be set to "podcast".

MC uses two tags within the file, that won't exist in your existing podcasts, to determine if a file is a podcast.  These are:

Feed URL
Episode URL

When these fields are present, MC will show the entry under the Downloaded Podcasts area within the Podcasts view.

But these fields are read-only within MC.  You can use an external tool (eg. mp3tag) to create and save these populated tags into the audio files, and then run MC's auto-import.  Henceforth, they should appear under Downloaded postcasts; they will appear as Orphans (unless the Feed and Episode URLs are correct).  See also:

http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=45475.0

If you don't want to take the extra one-time step to add the tags, then you can create your own View that shows files with Media Sub Type=podcast and they will show up there.  I have one, for example, under Audio called Downloaded Streams, which is more flexible, in that I can change the view to my liking.

chew.isaac

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2011, 07:24:46 am »

Hi MrC,

Thanks for your response! I really struggled for a few days. Finally decided to go back to itunes for my podcast. I will only use J river for my audio. Had read that j river organizes podcast well. For me it isn't true.

I really just needed to have each type of podcast in their own separate folder under MC/Podcast. In J river it is too cumbersome.

- my audio podcast appear in MC/audio under proper album. And all are discovered. That's good.
- However, in MC/podcast where I feel it really matters, somehow not all podcasts are discovered. For some feeds all available podcasts are discovered. In some feeds some are discovered and some are not. I took the advice of shifting all the available podcasts to the podcast folder MC uses. Still to no avail. If I took your advice of amending the tags, then the available podcasts would appear in download folder, all different type of podcast in one download folder is hard to manage as I have hundreds of different type of podcasts.
- another inconvenience is that all video podcasts appear in MC/video and they are not sorted into albums like MC/audio. So I am looking at tens of video podcasts in individual episodes. I would rather just have them in MC/podcast under their proper feed directory.

But for bit accuracy, wave and aiff tagging, good sound, J river is unchallenged :)

rjm

« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2011, 01:00:57 pm »

Feed URL
Episode URL

You can use an external tool (eg. mp3tag) to create and save these populated tags into the audio files, and then run MC's auto-import.

Interesting. I was unable to find a 3rd party tag editor that would see and edit the Feed URL and Episode URL tags, including I think mp3tag. Maybe its been enhanced or maybe I did something wrong.

I think Feed URL and Episode URL should be made editable in MC to solve this problem.

MrC

« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2011, 01:56:26 pm »

Interesting. I was unable to find a 3rd party tag editor that would see and edit the Feed URL and Episode URL tags, including I think mp3tag. Maybe its been enhanced or maybe I did something wrong.

I think Feed URL and Episode URL should be made editable in MC to solve this problem.

Right click, Extended tags.

rjm

« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2011, 02:02:43 pm »

Thank you.
Pages: [1]   Go Up