INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: OFF to Harry The Hipster  (Read 1021 times)

zevele1

OFF to Harry The Hipster
« on: June 01, 2002, 02:07:04 am »

Shabbat shalom

You may know the name of a book i want to read again

The writter is a jazz musicien,Mezz Mezzrow?A name like it
In french the title was like'fury to live'
story of jazz musiciens in New York[i think,not sure].
Here you have a lot of very precise hints.............

gvag

RE:OFF to Harry The Hipster
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2002, 03:36:14 am »

Don't mean to butt in, but...

There is a book "Really the Blues" by Bernard Wolf which is the biography of Milton "Mezz" Mezzrow, if I remember correctly it was co-authored with Mezz.

zevele1

« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2002, 04:35:21 am »

Look like you are right

Will buy this one anyway...it cannot make me any bad

Harry|PLS|The|PLS|Hipster

« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2002, 09:27:33 am »

Z:

Mezzrow wasn't much of a musician if at all, mostly a drug connection. Read his book very skeptically. This from All Music Guide:

"...While Norman Mailer probably didn't have M.M. in mind when he wrote his famous essay "The White Negro" (referring to white people who so identified with black culture they considered themselves black), Mezzrow was filling that bill for many years before Mailer wrote the essay. Either the ultimate hipster or a complete fraud, depending on yur perspective, M.M. rivaled Eddie Condon as a jazz advocate, personality, insider, and confidant, and was also one of the all-time greatest drug connections. All these things can't completely compensate for the fact that he was marginally talented; his clarinet solos were often hideous and, at best, were barely listenable. Probably no one realized this more than he did; therefore, he worked intensely on behalf of genuinely gifted musicians, and organized many vital sessions, including a number that were integrated...(the book purports) to tell the real jazz story, but was fleshed out with embellished yarns and outright myths."

Some good books about jazz musicians, if you're interested -

Straight Life - Art Pepper; Beneath the Underdog - Mingus; Celebrating Bird - Gary Giddins

Da Capo Press is a specialty house that publishes numerous books on blues, jazz and early r&b. http://www.perseusbooksgroup.com/perseus-cgi-bin/search

Shabbat shalom back at you.

HTH

zevele1

« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2002, 10:28:28 am »

I think it is this book,it was full of drug stories
I toke this book from one of my uncle when i was a kid
I remember that he speaks about to be stoned with grass in the tube,and-because you do not have the same notion of the time-missing the station where you want to leave because you wake up from your seat to late
Of cause ,few years later i had to try to see.....yes you miss the station....

The link is not working

I understand now why you go out to run:because your wife cooks fantastic cakes....

Harry The Hipster

« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2002, 12:07:42 pm »

Z:

Try http://www.dacapopress.com/.

She also makes a smashing Concord Grape pie...

HTH

zevele1

« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2002, 01:03:21 pm »

I had a look.Few books i want.You cannot imagine how much money i spent since on this forum....
Records,books.
Anyway not a complain,quite the opposite

Give my computer for total check tomorrow.May not mess around on interact for few days
Pages: [1]   Go Up