INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Strange issues with year tag  (Read 1127 times)

james_smith1976

• Recent member
Strange issues with year tag
« on: June 02, 2011, 12:56:46 pm »

Just had a strange problem with the year tag in virtually all my albums. It used to be fine – showed up in all without a problem. Went into MC a couple of days ago and noticed that all but a couple of alums were listed ‘Unknown Year’ and the year tag was empty. Tried running a library update – no change. Checked my backups and there had been no changes to the files themselves….

So I deleted all albums from the library and ran an update – hey presto they were all back again.

So basically, the library had been fine for months, with no change to the files, suddenly the year tag stopped showing up and the only remedy was to 'clean' the library and start again....

I'll update if anything hapens to suggest the cause...

james_smith1976

• Recent member
Re: Strange issues with year tag
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2011, 02:14:29 pm »

Now hit anther problem having deleted all files in the library...

I cannot get MC to import files in my "Classical" sub-folder. Pop, Rock, Jazz are all fine.

BUT if rename the "Classical" subfolder to something else ("Classical2" "Classical3"...whatever), it successfully imports my files!

Rename it back to "Classical", and it fails to import them! Very bizzarre. Must be some strange corruption somewhere. :(

Again, it used to be fine.

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2011, 02:36:49 pm »

Just had a strange problem with the year tag in virtually all my albums. It used to be fine – showed up in all without a problem. Went into MC a couple of days ago and noticed that all but a couple of alums were listed ‘Unknown Year’ and the year tag was empty. Tried running a library update – no change. Checked my backups and there had been no changes to the files themselves…

Perhaps the Date library field got corrupted for some reason. Maybe a system crash occurred at a very unfortunate moment or something like that happened. Though, usually the library survives just fine from a crash, perhaps missing only some very recent edits.

Did you actually try the "Update library from tags" Library Tool? It should be able the read whatever info you have in the file tags.

I cannot get MC to import files in my "Classical" sub-folder. Pop, Rock, Jazz are all fine.

BUT if rename the "Classical" subfolder to something else ("Classical2" "Classical3"...whatever), it successfully imports my files!...

Do you have the "Ignore files previously removed from library" auto-import option checked? Each listed folder has this option. (Select a listed folder and click "Edit..." to access the folder settings from the "Configure auto-import" window.)

You can remove the old library files files completely by creating a smartlist that lists the normally hidden "deleted files" and deleting the files once again from that list. Take care that you select the option to remove the files only from the library if you intend to keep the disk files. The smartlist rule is ~d=r ( =  Modify Results: Limit database to: Removed in the smartlist wizard.)
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

james_smith1976

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2011, 03:15:36 pm »

Regarding the tag issue - I didn't think to try “update tags” but I will bear than one in mind for future....

In auto import I always have "Ignore previously deleted…" disabled, so it *should* have been importing everything again.

Anyway, I created the smartlist and it did of course list my previously deleted files. I deleted them, reimported and all is well.

And it's now working properly for that folder again (i.e. delete from libray followed by import brings albums back again). So something must have got corrupted along the way, but thankfully it's not persistant.

That smartlist is definetely a keeper! :) Thanks for the help.
Pages: [1]   Go Up