INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Sort numbers to the bottom  (Read 1124 times)

ZombieBobie

Sort numbers to the bottom
« on: June 05, 2011, 11:10:13 am »

Hi,

I was just wondering if there's a way to make the sorting sort numbers to the bottom of the lists (filters, playlist, etc).

In example, currently it does:
10cc
A..
Z..

Whereas I would prefer if it did:
A..
Z..
10cc

Might seem like a small thing, but I've used 9999 as a "Unsorted" tag and now it shows up at the top which is a bit unfortunate.

If anyone know if its possible to modify the sorting algorithm, it would be appreciated :)

MrC

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Your life is short. Give me your money.
Re: Sort numbers to the bottom
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2011, 03:41:16 pm »

See if this idea is close enough.

Create yourself an expression column in a panes view, using the following as the first column:

formatrange(left([artist],1),100,0)

Use Descending as the sort order.

Use Artist as the second column, and perhaps Album and Name as the third and fourth columns.

This will group artists that start with A-Z, followed by artists whose first letters are numeric next, followed by anything else last (eg. artists w/punctuation marks as their first letter).
The opinions I express represent my own folly.

ZombieBobie

« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2011, 04:06:58 pm »

Thanks for the reply :) I appreciate it!

I did as you suggested and I believe I got that working (at least it looks like your attached picture). And I suppose its somewhat of a workaround, however, it would have been preferable if it was possible to instead of having to select either A-Z or 0-99 first, to just have the Artists sorted in that way. Any ideas? :)

MrC

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Your life is short. Give me your money.
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2011, 05:17:30 pm »

I don't know that there are any other sort mechanisms.

Sorting seems to be limited to ascending or descending ASCII order (see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ASCII#ASCII_printable_characters if you are not familiar with this order).  This natural order makes it very simple and fast.
The opinions I express represent my own folly.
Pages: [1]   Go Up