INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Theatre View usability issues and suggestions (many)  (Read 1450 times)

deskmate

• Recent member
Theatre View usability issues and suggestions (many)
« on: June 12, 2011, 12:11:55 am »

Hi,

1. Any ways to disable the slight turning of the album when playing music under the threatre view, it is very very annoying.

2. Also possible to implement a Apple iTune style status/progress bar, the current little dot is not very pretty/professional, nor tell us how much time left in a given song.

3. Any way to remove unuse menu items in the Theatre View, for example, as I have disabled the volume control in the MC, I want to remove the "Volume Up" and "Volume Down" button in the Theatre View too, how can I do it?

4. Can I lock the Theatre View down so no one can mess up the default view?  Every time I come home the Theatre View is messed up and I have to reset everything.

5. I have already strip down the Theatre View to Audio and CD only (no video etc.), however, is there any way to strip down the menu options under the "Audio" sub-menu?

6.  When I put a CD into the the drive, and MC starting ripping, is there any ripping progress indicator available under the Theatre View?

7. Also after ripping, I don't see any indicator.  It would be nice to have a wizard popping up and ask the user a few essential questions:

a. confirming tag info
b. confirming cover art

and then a simple ripping report.

Otherwise the user has to escape to normal view for those for each CD ripped.

8. I have demo the MC to many of my friend and they were impressd, but at the end they still said this is no iTune, iTune is better.  I asked them why, they all give me the same answer, there is no "COVER FLOW", can we please implement this, please.

Many thanks,

DM

MrHaugen

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Theatre View usability issues and suggestions (many)
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2011, 12:16:05 pm »

1. No, I do not think so.

2. This have been changed not so very long ago. I think it's minimalistic and it gives you a hint on how far it is. I do however agree that some sort of unintrusive background color or something would help.

3. No. Unfortunately not. I've wanted to remove some of the items for a long time my  self. Like the Play all option, that new users always use, and messes up the playing now.

4. Yes. But it would require that you run a server/client environment. If you use the clients as a dumb client and connect to the server, the client will use the views from the server et every time you restart MC.

5. Again, no. I do not think so. If you're talking about the different views under Audio, this can be customized as much as you want to. But if it's other options you talk about, no.

6. No

7. This would sort of break the illusion of a clean theater view with no popups. Would it not be better to just make a view to to look at the newly ripped content? You could verify pretty much everything there I think.

8. There is a cover flow in MC. It's called 3D wall. Itunes' cover flow is crap imo. It looks nice, but it is far from ideal to use. This friends of yours just have to be shown what can be done in MC.

That's my thought anyway. Have a good day!
- I may not always believe what I'm saying

deskmate

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2011, 01:55:50 pm »

>4. Yes. But it would require that you run a server/client environment. If you use the clients as a dumb client and connect to the server, the client will use the views from the server et every time you restart MC.

This is a very convoluted way to achieve a must have feature - if for MC to take off, MCs should be in the living room and used by all the family members ...

>7. This would sort of break the illusion of a clean theater view with no popups. Would it not be better to just make a view to to look at the newly ripped content? You could verify pretty much everything there I think.

Sure, the point was when people wanted to rip a disc they need to know the progress and the tag info.  Media Portal does that excellently.

>8. There is a cover flow in MC. It's called 3D wall. Itunes' cover flow is crap imo. It looks nice, but it is far from ideal to use. This friends of yours just have to be shown what can be done in MC.

Yes the 3D wall is nice, but it is not quite useable when one have a lot of CDs (say > 500s).  That's why a CoverFlow for each Genre is a must and easy to use. 

Also how to SLOW down the scroll speed in the Theatre View with using a touch screen? the speed it too fast and difficult to control.

Thanks

DM

MrHaugen

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2011, 03:33:25 am »

>4. Yes. But it would require that you run a server/client environment. If you use the clients as a dumb client and connect to the server, the client will use the views from the server et every time you restart MC.

This is a very convoluted way to achieve a must have feature - if for MC to take off, MCs should be in the living room and used by all the family members ...
A client/server setup would not change this. You'd still have a client, just like you have today. There are many advantages of having a server controlling multiple clients. You can however try the Party function to lock down MC, and you can try to run MC with the read only command. I'm not sure if this will do you much good though. I think it only prevents writing to the library tags.

>7. This would sort of break the illusion of a clean theater view with no popups. Would it not be better to just make a view to to look at the newly ripped content? You could verify pretty much everything there I think.

Sure, the point was when people wanted to rip a disc they need to know the progress and the tag info.  Media Portal does that excellently.
Why does people need a progress bar? It's not enough to just know that it's done in 10 minutes, and you can find it in that view? If you're going to rip lots of discs I would use standard view anyway. It gives you far more control. I do not disagree that this features could be nice to have i Theater View, but to be honest, I do not think that J River will use much more time on ripping features. There is just not very many of those disk users left I'm afraid.

>8. There is a cover flow in MC. It's called 3D wall. Itunes' cover flow is crap imo. It looks nice, but it is far from ideal to use. This friends of yours just have to be shown what can be done in MC.

Yes the 3D wall is nice, but it is not quite usable when one have a lot of CDs (say > 500s).  That's why a CoverFlow for each Genre is a must and easy to use. 

Also how to SLOW down the scroll speed in the Theatre View with using a touch screen? the speed it too fast and difficult to control.
You should be able to make 3D Wall view style in any view you create. So, if you want this view style for each genre, there should be nothing stopping you. I do agree that the speed of this 3D Wall is ridiculously fast though! It's hard to control, even with a remote. There should be a sensitivity setting for this.
- I may not always believe what I'm saying
Pages: [1]   Go Up