INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Where is MP3 data stored say 'genre' vs 'comment' data!  (Read 1450 times)

InGearX

Where is MP3 data stored say 'genre' vs 'comment' data!
« on: May 30, 2002, 12:03:12 pm »

For all the VERY good songs I heard I added 'qqq' to their 'comment' field, so that I could just search for 'qqq' and have them all...

1) But is that comment stored inside the .mp3 file or only in MJ database?!

2) Which fields are stored on the MP3?

3) right click and in 'media file properties' it has "* denotes fields stored in the file tag only" what dose that mean?

4) Can someone explain ID3v1 VS ID3v2

Doof

RE:Where is MP3 data stored say 'genre' vs 'comment' data!
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2002, 12:27:01 pm »

1. Not sure off the top of my head but see my answer for #3.

2. See my answer for #1

3. If it says that that field is only stored in the tag, then it's only stored in the ID3 tag. It's not stored in MJ's database.

4. Id3v1 vs. Id3v2 : basically, Id3v2 can store more information about the track, but it takes up more space, and some people (KingSparta) absolutely hate id3v2 for reasons that I'm still unclear on. I use v2 and only v2 and it works fine for me.

Trelane

• World Citizen
  • Destroy him, my robots.
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2002, 05:09:40 pm »

One good reason not to like ID3v2 is that it writes the tag data at the beginning the file. If you're adding an ID3v2 tag to a virgin MP3 file, the entire file must be rewritten. This is very time consuming and in King's case... better grab a Snickers.

My advice: if you're going to use ID3v2, use it from the get go. Converting later will be more trouble than it's worth.

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Farm Animal Stupid
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2002, 09:17:00 am »

Maybe that's why I haven't had any problems with it... I've been using them since day 1.

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2002, 10:15:43 am »

I think the creators of ID3v2 should be hog tied, and then ____________________ (Fill it in)

>> If you're adding an ID3v2 tag to a virgin MP3 file, the entire file must be rewritten.
true but this may always be the case if the program does not allow for padding of the ID3v2 area, and then understand it when it goes and does a re-write of the tag. there are many programs that do not pad the id3v2 area for faster rewrites, and will do a complete re-write of the file. this is a very slow way of editing tags.

Using ID3v1.1 allways renders a fast edit, with MJ i can still have cover art using the external cover art option (i don't keep the cover art).

most tags are less than 30chrs and id3v1.1 fills that need. i do wish they were a bit longer however.

and this could be done by using the last 256bytes of the file, keeping the id3v1.1 format at the last 128 bytes and then adding bytes to the other 128bytes to make the fields larger. it would be simple.

to write code to handle id3v2 tags is a large under taking.

many programs do not handle id3v2.4 to include MJ and id3v2.4 has been out more than a year. this new version screws up about 5-10 or so id3v2 tags so they are not compatable. so now you need to program for id3v2.3 and now id3v2.4.
Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
https://centercitybbs.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA

Badger

« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2002, 10:25:38 am »

So, to answer his original question, both the genre and comment field are stored in the file (the id3v1 tag), not just the MJ database...correct?...King?

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2002, 11:29:38 am »

>> So, to answer his original question, both the genre and comment field
>> are stored in the file (the id3v1 tag), not just the MJ database...correct?...King?
Question 1: Yes
Question 2: Most Of Them Are Saved To Id3v2, ID3v1.1 Only Song Title, Album, Artist, Comment, Track#, And Genre
Question 3: Not Sure I Never Tested But The Statement May Not Be Correct If It Is Stored In The DataBase Only
you can test this by putting something in the field, save, then remove from the file list, re-import. if it is there it was saved to the id3v2 tag.
Question 4: already answered
Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
https://centercitybbs.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA
Pages: [1]   Go Up