INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: YouTube HD Maxing CPU with Red October  (Read 937 times)

imugli

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
YouTube HD Maxing CPU with Red October
« on: June 24, 2011, 06:52:41 pm »

Hi Guys,

I'm running an Intel Atom with NVidia GPU. Not the most powerful system but enough to play HD IF the video processing is done by the GPU.

Since running Red October, however, HD YouTube video processing seems to be getting done by the CPU, which is causing it to max out.

I can change the settings to Windows Merit Based, but isn't the point of Red October that I shouldn't have to? 

Cheers,

J.

Daydream

Re: YouTube HD Maxing CPU with Red October
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2011, 10:10:56 pm »

Well, that didn't take long for somebody to hit this problem... :P

I guess the easiest approach would be to choose "RO with additional filters", configure your filter of choice for hardware acceleration with MP4 (best educated guess for the HD YouTube files) and see what happens. I picked ffdshow DXVA just to give it a shot. Try not to overlay any OSD from the filter side or things will go haywire (at least in my case). It may still be hit & miss depending whether the input is consistent (I don't know what YouTube does with their HQ files, if they get encoded with different profiles that may confuse your chosen filters).

MC does other things in the bkg, like downloading the file being played and whatnot, so in my case I get ~10% CPU usage (but on a normal desktop config).  Hope this helps.

imugli

• MC Beta Team
Re: YouTube HD Maxing CPU with Red October
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2011, 10:45:26 pm »

Thanks Daydream,

I've had a play with various filters previously and got it to work, but I'm pretty good with these things.

My point is more that RO is supposed to make things "easy" for the "average" user. Having to play with filters isn't easy for anyone, especially the "average" user...

Pages: [1]   Go Up