INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Normalize Audio On CD  (Read 2185 times)

nwboater

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Normalize Audio On CD
« on: July 09, 2011, 09:18:40 am »

I am going to be preparing some CD music compilations for a relatives large party. I had planned to burn them using MC.

I have never used Analyze audio or replay gain in MC so please correct me if I misunderstand their operation. It appears that to use these features in MC the audio tracks must first be 'Analyzed'. The data from that analysis is stored in the database with the track information. During playback if 'Replay Gain' is enabled the volume of the tracks will be equalized.

Now in our case we want to burn music to a cd so it can be used on a standalone CD player with the volume normalized. If we don't play the music back in MC it seems that the volume will not be normalized.

So if my above assumptions are valid can someone suggest another way for me to get the volume normalized on the CDs I will burn? There is considerable variations in volume between tracks so this is a necessity. I guess I will have to use some other software to normalize and burn.

Thanks for any suggestions you may have.

Rod

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
Re: Normalize Audio On CD
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2011, 09:47:31 am »

First analyze the files and when burning use the "Apply Cross-fade and DSP effects" option and enable DSP Studio > Volume Leveling (aka Replay Gain) in the burning DSP options (the playback options are not effective when burning).

You can use the "Adjustment > Automatic based on current playlist" Volume Leveling option to make each disc as loud as possible without causing clipping (Replay Gain will usually reduce the volume level - more or less, depending on the source material).

You may want to prepare a playlist for each audio CD. For example, make each list less than 80 minutes if you have such discs (= 700 MB in data use).

EDIT

Attached a screenshot.

The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

Vocalpoint

« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2011, 10:13:25 am »

First analyze the files and when burning use the "Apply Cross-fade and DSP effects" option and enable DSP Studio > Volume Leveling (aka Replay Gain) in the burning DSP options (the playback options are not effective when burning).

I have tried this several times in the past and it simply does not seem to work. I have everything set as above...but when I play the disc in the car - the volume is still all over the map...what am I missing?

VP

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2011, 10:15:49 am »

See my edit above. The settings in the screenshot work for me.

Did you actually analyze the files before burning? The Replay Gain DSP cannot work if the files do not have correct values in the Replay Gain library field.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

nwboater

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2011, 10:58:18 am »

Alex B,

Thanks so much for your very prompt and detailed response. When we return from our trip I will try out your procedures. It's great to know that it can all be done in MC.

Thanks again,
Rod

Vocalpoint

« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2011, 11:07:46 am »

See my edit above. The settings in the screenshot work for me.

Did you actually analyze the files before burning? The Replay Gain DSP cannot work if the files do not have correct values in the Replay Gain library field.

Over here - every single file MUST be analyzed before it's even allowed for inclusion into my main library. Absolute brute force volume control is paramount and an extremely key process for me. Yet - even fully analyzed - my resulting disc still has me reaching for the volume knob in the car. Will try your screen capped settings and reply back.

Note: My settings differ from yours in only one respect - my "adjustment" area is set to +6 Fixed. I find this is optimum for playback on all in house machines. Perhaps it's this that is making my discs act strange?

VP
Pages: [1]   Go Up