INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Remote compatibility with Media Center  (Read 4381 times)

wer

• Citizen of the Universe
Remote compatibility with Media Center
« on: June 08, 2011, 04:08:09 pm »

Thanks for your response, Jim.  I'd rebooted before but tried again just for you, and no change.

No it's not your remote, it's a VRC-1100.  It worked swell in Windows Media Center, XBMC, and all the others I'd tried before I found JRiver.

Embarassing note: I didn't even know all those extra buttons were supposed to work in MC until I saw these release notes.

All the standard arrow, playback, volume, and back keys work just fine in MC though.  Just not the "special" buttons.

Like I said, blue triggers the MUTE function in MC, the others do nothing.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Four remote buttons not working
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2011, 06:14:49 pm »

Thanks for your response, Jim.  I'd rebooted before but tried again just for you, and no change.

No it's not your remote, it's a VRC-1100.  It worked swell in Windows Media Center, XBMC, and all the others I'd tried before I found JRiver.

Embarassing note: I didn't even know all those extra buttons were supposed to work in MC until I saw these release notes.

All the standard arrow, playback, volume, and back keys work just fine in MC though.  Just not the "special" buttons.

Like I said, blue triggers the MUTE function in MC, the others do nothing.
I'll move this discussion to a new thread.  I don't think there is a bug.  In MC's options for Theater View, there is one that allows you to disable Windows Media Center.  Please try it. 

wer

Four remote buttons not working
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2011, 07:29:22 pm »

In MC's options for Theater View, there is one that allows you to disable Windows Media Center.  Please try it. 

Yes, I had already tried that.  Checked or unchecked it made no difference.  Currently it is checked, and Windows Media Center does not start if I use "the green button".

wer

Re: Four remote buttons not working
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2011, 11:48:25 am »

I have found a couple of people posting in other threads about the blue button acting as mute, but they received no response.

I think what may be going on here is with the type of remote.  Someone at JRiver is probably more knowledgeable than me about this, but I understand there are 2 kinds of remotes that were designed for Windows Media Center, "MCE" remotes and "RC6" remotes.

RC6 remotes send "special windows commands" and MCE remotes send keystrokes.

I have found, by using the "Shortcut Key" option in an icon's properties, that my remote is sending keystrokes, as follows:

Yellow: CTRL-SHIFT-T
Blue: CTRL-ALT-M
Green: CTRL-ALT-I  (capital i)
Red: CTRL-ALT-E

MC16 interprets CTRL-ALT-M as mute. 

I have found by using a custom resource file to define global hotkeys for MC16, that I can get it to react to keystrokes sent by these buttons.  For example, I was able to get the Yellow button to perform an action according to the hotkey I defined in the file.  (see here: http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/User_Defined_Global_Keyboard_Shortcuts  )

Unfortunately, for some reason, the global hotkey config resouce file will not allow to define key combinations that contain ALT.

This means I can't use hotkeys as a workaround, because many of the keys on the remote send CTRL-ALT combinations.

There are 4 grey keys under the colored keys (with little icons) that the docs label as follows (I've supplied the keystrokes they send), buttons in order from left to right:

Live TV: CTRL-ALT-O  (capital o)
Guide: CTRL-ALT-G
Recorded TV:  CTRL-ALT-T
DVD Menu: CTRL-SHIFT-M

My understanding is every MCE remote (as opposed to RC6) will be sending these same keystrokes for these buttons.

Does MC16 just not fully support this type of remote, or do I have something configured wrong?  Is there a way I can define MC16 global hotkeys using the ALT key as a workaround?

Thanks!

wer

Re: Four remote buttons not working
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2011, 10:25:07 am »

bump

wer

Re: Problem with MCE remote - colored buttons not recognized
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2011, 12:32:39 pm »

I'd really appreciate it if someone from J River (or someone knowledgable) could respond... I'd like to get my remote working.

Thanks very much!  :)

wer

Re: Remote compatibility with Media Center
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2011, 10:51:40 pm »

Anyone?  :)

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2011, 09:13:23 am »

Sorry, I had missed this thread.

We support MCE remotes out of the box.

I'm not familiar with RC6 remotes.  We'll look at ordering one (any advice?).

But for now, you may be able to just learn custom commands in Options > Remote > Commands.  For example, I setup keyboard shortcuts (tied to specific keyboards since I have a couple on my HTPC) to switch between a monitor and the projector.  I would expect this same type of thing to work for RC6 remotes.

Does that approach work?
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2011, 09:28:13 am »

The Media Center Remote that we sell is an RC6 type.

JohnT

« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2011, 10:13:07 am »

I found a VRC-1100 remote around the office and I'm testing it now.  I will post back with results.
John Thompson, JRiver Media Center

JohnT

« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2011, 10:33:59 am »

Ok, we don't natively support the key combinations being sent by this remote for those special buttons.  However you could use our "button learning" function to assign Media Center commands to those buttons.  I tested this out and it worked fine.  Go to Tools / Options / Commands and select the command you want to assign to a button on the remote (I assigned "Set Mode - Mini View" and "Set Mode - Standard View" to the blue and green buttons for example).  Now click "Start Learning" and then point the remote at the receiver from close range and press the button that you want to use for that command.  Click Ok on the dialog and test it out.
John Thompson, JRiver Media Center

wer

« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2011, 04:27:04 pm »

Thank you all very much for looking at this!

As I said, this is a standard MCE remote that works with other programs, so when Matt mentioned "supported out of the box" he must have meant RC6 and not MCE.

I tried learning the remote commands as you described.  That worked great (except for one thing) and I was able to get most of my buttons working including FF/REW.

The only problem I encountered is that the MCC commands to navigate the view modes ("Theater View: Audio") break if you rename the views.

What I mean is, I wanted my theater view menu to read as "Music" instead of "Audio" just for friendliness. So in the theater view config, in the details for "Audio" I just changed the name to "Music".  Beautifully customizable.  Also changed "Images" to "Pictures".

If I leave it that way, the MCC command doesn't find the view, and just leaves you at the main menu.  If I rename the view back to match the command, the command works perfectly. 

I can't seem to find any way around that, so it seems I have to choose between having things named the way I like or having the buttons work.

Anyway, thank you so much for putting me on the right track! I'm surprised that MCE remotes don't "just work" but I continue to be impressed by the flexibility and customizability of MC16...

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2011, 04:43:32 pm »

As I said, this is a standard MCE remote that works with other programs, so when Matt mentioned "supported out of the box" he must have meant RC6 and not MCE.
RC6 is a type of Media Center Remote.  But they vary quite a bit.
Pages: [1]   Go Up