INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Video Playback And FLAC Decoding  (Read 742 times)

Bad_Wolf_Online

• Recent member
Video Playback And FLAC Decoding
« on: July 17, 2011, 02:00:14 am »

How good is the video playback engine of version 16. I currently use Media Player Classic and VLC to playback very large ~30GB m2ts and mkv files and want to change to using media center for  everything. Is the playback quality as good and does media center support features such as switching audio and subtitle tracks?

Is the mathematical algorithm used to decode FLAC audio identical to that released by the codec developers and what does FLAC quality level mean?

Thank you

MrC

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Your life is short. Give me your money.
Re: Video Playback And FLAC Decoding
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2011, 02:40:04 am »

MC16 offers a new video auto-configuration system called Red October.  The folks who have been developing and contributing to the direction of this are top notch.  Review the Red October threads here in this forum for more info.

I believe the FLAC decoder comes from the official flac sources at sourceforge.  You'll see references to Media Center and Media Jukebox here.

The quality level essentially means "how hard should the encoder try to compress the flac data".  This is a tradeoff between time and space.  Larger numbers mean Try Harder.  The space difference is not great.
The opinions I express represent my own folly.
Pages: [1]   Go Up