INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Directv DVR(s)- How can I make these to work.?  (Read 5023 times)

Ekpen

• Citizen of the Universe
Directv DVR(s)- How can I make these to work.?
« on: July 19, 2011, 12:05:35 pm »

Greetings All:

With all the excitements and joy regarding MC16 and Madvr, lav?? and "RO", I am yet to experience it.
I have written a few months back regarding Directv integration with MC, but the answer was "we do not know much about Directv".
Directv has over 10 million users, for those that have these boxes, not to be able to fully configur these boxes with our MC, is not good.
For me I have 3 dvr(s) HR 22/HR24 and 5 non dvr boxes.
My MC 16 128.. does see the three boxes, but can not play anything at all. There are recordings, I was hoping I would be able to play something. I have tried various settings in the set up in an attempt to even get Video on screen- my computer. Audio is no probem.
(I do have whole -house)  Directv setup with "Swim".

Why is Directv boxes not directly supported?
Why should it be using generic dLNA?
I have tried to use various settings to get video to work, no success. Directv uses MPEG-4. For me I am only interested in HD(s), not SD movies.

I have also used Cyberlink (old version) to make it work, still I get nothing, though I hope to buy PVD11 very soon.
I really want to test and experiment with any of the "RO" settings with Directv boxes.

Also, writing about Directv boxes, I am yet to see Pioneer (Elite) or non Elite receivers supported. I have a Pioneer Elite SC-09 receiver, hoping to see it listed or any of the Pioneer receiver included.

I am really anxious about the video part of MC 16. The reason is my HTPC server is almost 90% ready, and by August, Mitsubishi will be replacing my current  82837 with 92840 DLP.
JIM and company-- You see why I want to experience the "DIVINE" in Audio and Video.
Keep up the excitement, but do not leave me out of it.

Thanks.
Ekpen

horse

• World Citizen
Re: Directv DVR(s)- How can I make these to work.?
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2011, 06:24:46 pm »

Ekpen,

What exactly are you trying to do? Use the DirectTV DVR's as DLNA clients and stream movies from the MC16 server?
What format are your movies in and does any other DLNA client work?

Personally I have the following clients working with MC16

Denon 4806CI Receiver (Audio Only)
LG ST 600 SMart Upgrader (Video to 1080P)
Western Digital TV Live Plus ((Video to 1080P)
Media Connect for iPad, iPhone iTouch

In the past I've also used XBMC and Plex 8.5 on Windows and OS X

Most of my content is SD and HD H.264 in MKV's, but I also have a mixture of older stuff in DIVX, XVID, MPEG2 in AVI containers

Ekpen

« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2011, 09:37:30 am »

Thanks for your immediate feedback.

I am trying to set up a theater system. The HTPC is almost ready, I am only waiting for 8 2TB hard drives and a Windows 7 64 bit OS.
The HTPC componenets on hand for the Gamer/MC Media center will be fitted with Core i-7 Intel 980X, Nvidia gtx 9800 X2,,,, Quad  24 gig memory.
The TV currently is a Mitsu 82837, but will be replaced - 92840 by August or September.
The Directv boxes-DVR are 3 with 5 non dvrs.
At this point, I just want to test if movies HD -Mpeg-4 will show up on my Acer Aspire 9810 notebook, which I am using temporarily. I only watch HD/3D programs and movies. I have no interest whatsoever in SD movies.
The Directv dvr shows up. I have selected DLNA with mpeg-2 medium bandwith or high bandwith several times, I am yet to  even see any picture on the screen.
I have my house wired with cat 6 ethernet several years ago, so I am ok with both wireless N and wired.s

I am also anxious to try this new "RO"  .

Besides TV, I hope to have disk based Blueray mega changes- Sony- 400 disks BDP CX7000ES. in the chain of equipments.
In the past, I used to have 4 Kenwood DVD 400 disk changer, Sony CDs, mega changers, and 2 Pioneer PDF 1007. My set up in the past was entirely mega changer based, and I hope it will still be that way.
I want to wrap everything up by Thanksgiving, Gamer/MC server ready, TV in the house, and at least one Sony DVP 7000ES in the house. Because of this, I will be purchasing the anydvd and Cyberlink pvd11 very soon.
Thanks again.
Ekpen.

bspachman

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2011, 10:05:39 pm »

Your DirecTV boxes will only work as DLNA renderers & controllers (ie, they will only play content) with MC16.

I believe the DLNA server section of MC needs to be configured to send either uncompressed WAV or MP3 audio data. Pictures can only be in JPG format. Video must be sent to the boxes as MPEG2.

The only way to reverse the data flow and use your DirecTV boxes as 'servers' is to use the DIRECTV2PC application that you can download from DirectTV.

Hope this clarifies the situation (for now)...

brad

Ekpen

« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2011, 07:26:42 am »

Greetings:

Thanks for your input. Audio wise, I have no problem playing music. Directv boxes blends very well with MC. I can play music from any of the 8 directv boxes.
But Video, this is another story. We only record HD movies and shows. MC 16 does not support MPEG 4. I have not seen any indication that it works with MPEG 4.

I guess, all the RO fun will be missed by me.
I do have directv2PC, but I can not get it to load up any movies or shows either. Maybe my Acer Aspire 9810 dual core 2.1 cpu can not handle the workload.
I will know in details when my server with  Intel Core I-7, - 990X cpu is ready.

Thanks again.
Ekpen
Pages: [1]   Go Up