INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Zone numbering and DLNA  (Read 1005 times)

MrC

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Your life is short. Give me your money.
Zone numbering and DLNA
« on: July 24, 2011, 12:15:39 am »

When using DLNA, devices can come and go, which leads to zone numbers changing.  This makes using MCC commands which can target zones a little challenging.  For example, if a device which is currently at Zone 3 disappears, this makes the Zone 4 device suddenly become Zone 3.

How do we learn of the mapping of zone numbers to zones (eg. names) so that a correct zone specifier can be used in an MCC command ?

Would it make sense to either retain the zone number to device mappings, or allow zone names (which are static) instead of zone numbers (which are dynamic)?
The opinions I express represent my own folly.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: Zone numbering and DLNA
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2011, 09:52:08 am »

When using DLNA, devices can come and go, which leads to zone numbers changing.  This makes using MCC commands which can target zones a little challenging.  For example, if a device which is currently at Zone 3 disappears, this makes the Zone 4 device suddenly become Zone 3.

How do we learn of the mapping of zone numbers to zones (eg. names) so that a correct zone specifier can be used in an MCC command ?

Would it make sense to either retain the zone number to device mappings, or allow zone names (which are static) instead of zone numbers (which are dynamic)?

Internally we always use a zone ID.  This does not change when zones come and go, and it's consistent between runs.

But for MCC commands, we still use zone index.  This is mostly done so that we don't break legacy scripts, and also because zone IDs are hidden from the user.

I'm not sure the solution.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

MrC

• Your life is short. Give me your money.
Re: Zone numbering and DLNA
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2011, 11:26:54 am »

A couple of thoughts..

If MC can do a Name to Zone ID mapping, then perhaps the new :zone specifier could be extended so that zone could be a case-insensitive zone name.  Eg: /mcc 10001:"some named zone".  This gives an avenue to eventually obsolete the Zone index and internal Zone IDs from external use.

The same thing could apply to MC command line zone specifiers.  For example:

C:\music.mp3|Zone=2

could be:

C:\music.mp3|Zone="some named zone"

A distant second best would be to have an enumeration function that returned a list of Zone ID / Name mapping pairs and users could maintain the Name <--> Zone ID mapping.  Index is no good as it shifts.  Of course, this option makes scripting more difficult for users.

I realize this requires maintaining an internal Name < -- > Zone ID table, and doing a search at MCC command and primary command line time.
The opinions I express represent my own folly.
Pages: [1]   Go Up