INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Auto Refresh Rate Change  (Read 1524 times)

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Auto Refresh Rate Change
« on: July 27, 2011, 12:10:23 am »

Thanks very much for this!

Yes, I'm late to the party, only being able to test this last week or the week before. In any case, it works beautifully on the one system I have that is capable of accepting 24, 25, 29 and 60Hz signals. It's an HTPC connected by HDMI to an Epson 8350 1080p projector via an Onkyo TX-NR5007 receiver and a 22" 1080p Acer touchscreen monitor via VGA. They're in clone mode. Both display devices can handle all those refresh rates.

I've tried sample videos of all the major fps formats and confirmed with my AVR that the refresh rate was indeed changing. It's so nice to have this done automatically.

The desktop is at 24 Hz, which is a bit slow for the monitor, but fine for the projector. Since most of the material I watch is 23-24 Hz this works well, with minimal delays due to a refresh rate change. Also, some of the thousands of video files I have haven't had their refresh rate field filled yet with an "update library from tags command". A 24 Hz default usually works well for these if they're movies or US TV shows, more of which seem to be made at 23.976 fps these days. The projector also seems to have some issue with MC Standard View at 60Hz, so this was a workaround.
Unfortunately, the setup is not yet ideal since I'm using Intel's Clarkdale graphics so I do get a repeated frame every 42 seconds in 23.976 fps material. I'll soon be upgrading to an nVidia solution and LAV CUVID goodness though!

BTW Theater View and MC in general looks great at 120" diagonal from 10 ft away! I'll post pics one day. Here's a sample:

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/405/jrmcvis.jpg/

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
Re: Auto Refresh Rate Change
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2011, 12:13:50 am »

Unfortunately, the setup is not yet ideal since I'm using Intel's Clarkdale graphics so I do get a repeated frame every 42 seconds in 23.976 fps material. I'll soon be upgrading to an nVidia solution and LAV CUVID goodness though!

Check the Videoclock option and if you are decoding the audio (eg NOT bitstreaming) then it should be resampled slightly to help prevent video frame drops.
JRiver CEO Elect

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2011, 12:30:51 am »

Check the Videoclock option and if you are decoding the audio (eg NOT bitstreaming) then it should be resampled slightly to help prevent video frame drops.

Ah... thanks for that snippet of info. I wondered whether that would fix it. Unfortunately, I do bitstream currently. When I get around to reinstalling the Arcsoft decoder for DTS-HD MA again, I'll give non-bitstreaming a go.

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2011, 01:02:04 am »

The "evils" of bitstreaming and DirectShow slaving video to the audio clock.  Your only other option (apart from living with it), is to try to tune you refresh rate closer to 23.976.....Good luck with that one on Intel!
JRiver CEO Elect

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2011, 01:20:22 pm »

The "evils" of bitstreaming and DirectShow slaving video to the audio clock.  Your only other option (apart from living with it), is to try to tune you refresh rate closer to 23.976.....Good luck with that one on Intel!

Yeah, understood. That's why I'm going the nVidia route eventually.
Pages: [1]   Go Up