INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Can any streaming media be used with zones?  (Read 4604 times)

Jonathan DA

• Junior Woodchuck
Can any streaming media be used with zones?
« on: August 03, 2011, 11:20:50 pm »

Searched, but couldn't find an answer to this one...  Can any form of streaming media or connected media be sent to different zones in MC, or is it always just played through the PC's default primary device?  I'd love for there to be a way to route Last.fm, Pandora, Slacker, etc. through MC's zones.

thx,

Jonathan

kensn

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Can any streaming media be used with zones?
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2011, 12:04:37 am »

I have not tried this, but if you first select the Zone, then select the stream it should play in that Zone....

Ken
If(IsEmpty([Coffee Cup]), Coffee, Drink)

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2011, 04:30:22 pm »

YouTube and Last.fm subscriber radio are played native.  You can route them to any zone, perform Room Correction, etc.

Netflix and a few others play inside a browser, so the audio is routed to Windows.

I want a way to make the JRiver Audio Engine appear as a sound device in Windows, but I don't think it will happen soon.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

JustinChase

• MC Beta Team
  • Getting older every day
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2011, 04:45:53 pm »

so, can I correctly assume that there is no way currently to send pandora.com stream to my patio zone?

How about the "main" zone?  I can't get pandora streaming anywhere currently.
pretend this is something funny

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2011, 04:53:51 pm »

Please ask Pandora to provide an SDK.  Or take a look at Last.fm, which has a really nice SDK that Media Center natively supports.

JustinChase

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2011, 12:42:09 pm »

Please ask Pandora to provide an SDK.  Or take a look at Last.fm, which has a really nice SDK that Media Center natively supports.

Here is a snip from an email I sent them in January, somewhat related to this, and their response.

Also, I’m going to purchase a new receiver, with network access, which will allow me to set 40 internet radio stations, and I will want to set up one for each of us on this receiver also (Yamaha RX-V867).

Unfortunately, that device is not yet supported.  Due to the interactive nature of Pandora, we do not stream audio using playlist files like many other online radio/shoutcast streams.  As a result, it doesn't work without some additional development on the part of the hardware manufacturer.

Currently, the only home streaming devices that support Pandora natively are listed here: http://pandora.com/in-the-home

We hope to make Pandora available everywhere, so stay tuned on that.

I just replied with this...

Hi again.

Is there any SDK available for Pandora, or any plans for one?

The Media Player I use (J River Media Center) could better integrate Pandora with a SDK, but without it, I cannot really use Pandora from my music player, which I require to send the audio to a second zone in my home.

I hope this is either available now, or very soon.

If not, I’m afraid I can’t continue to be a paying customer of Pandora, as I really need to run everything thru this software to get the full features of all of my media and the player’s capabilities.

Thanks again for your feedback!!  Other than this issue, I’m still enjoying Pandora, but hope for even more :)

it sounds like it ain't happenin, but who knows.  maybe if others request a SDK it might happen??

Jonathan DA

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2011, 09:10:54 am »

Ok, I signed up for Last.fm and can now play Last.fm radio through zones from the main app.  Awesome.  Two new questions though:

1.  Can this be done with Gizmo?  Once I start playing radio, I can see what's playing and skip tracks, pause, etc. but I can't find a way in Gizmo to start the streaming.   Would really like to do that since Gizmo is my main method for controlling MC.

2.  When I create a station using the Fan: or Tag: commands in MC, I seem to get a very different mix of music than if I go to Last.fm's website and create a station.  Any idea why that might be?

Thx,

Jonathan

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2011, 10:25:53 am »

1.  Can this be done with Gizmo?  Once I start playing radio, I can see what's playing and skip tracks, pause, etc. but I can't find a way in Gizmo to start the streaming.   Would really like to do that since Gizmo is my main method for controlling MC.

Sorry, but it's not currently possible with Gizmo.  It would be a nice addition.

2.  When I create a station using the Fan: or Tag: commands in MC, I seem to get a very different mix of music than if I go to Last.fm's website and create a station.  Any idea why that might be?

Do you think it's ignoring what you type?  Or what do you mean by "different"?

Thanks.

JustinChase

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2011, 11:00:50 am »

not surprisingly...

Hello Again:

Thanks for writing - We don't offer SDKs at this time - We will keep it in mind as our company evolves.  Again, we appreciate your feedback.  Thanks for listening!

Best Regards,

Josh M
Listener Support
PANDORA® internet radio

GadgetBoy

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2011, 05:35:29 pm »

Anyone else have any luck here? I can save streams from SOMA.fm and they add them to playlists. Then each playlist can be played in a zone.

Does any one have any other methods? Also, I'm looking for a place to find more streaming urls - any suggestions?

Thanks in advance,
GB
LazyAutomtion
www.lazyautomation.com

la·zy [ley-zee] - Resistant to work or exertion; disposed to idleness.
au·to·ma·tion [aw-tuh-mey-shuh n] - The automatic operation or control of equipment, a process, or a system.

MrC

• Your life is short. Give me your money.
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2011, 05:48:28 pm »

You can select the zone you want under Playing Now, and that will set it as the zone to be used for playback.  Then, go start playback of the internet station you want to stream.  Of course this works only for those stations that don't require a browser (see Matt's response above).

Have you looked through the stations under Connected Media under the Audio section in the tree?
The opinions I express represent my own folly.

RSleith

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2011, 11:50:57 am »

Also, I'm looking for a place to find more streaming urls - any suggestions?

I stream Radio Paradise...took me a few tries to figure this out, but I copied the URL for, say, OGG streaming and paste it into Open URL from the File command (I think...typing this from memory...). I then saved it as a playlist.

Extra bonus...I then open Radio Paradise HD in theatre view for the eye candy...but the audio stream is native, having been launched from Playing Now

Matt, thanks for answering a question that's been haunting me about Netflix audio...sure would be nice for that to be native within MC.
Pages: [1]   Go Up