INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Please help: Ripped DVD's (vob) are not played well with Red October  (Read 2753 times)

4BYE

• Galactic Citizen

I want to upgrade to MC16 to use GIZMO and related options. I have XP SP3 installed on my laptop.
I don't want to mess up my regular computer before I know it will work the way I want.

The biggest problem I now have is that with option "Red October" my movies are cut off on the right hand side off the movie.
Also the subtitles are cut off. The movie is in the center of the screen though. There's "black space" on both sides of the movie.
I guess that's the same width as the "missing" piece of the movie.

Only in "Red October with additional filters" and Playback method: "Windows Media Player engine" I get the right screen.
However I miss several options (with the arrows up/down). I cannot choose or see subtitles. Right clicking gives no more options.

I downloaded and installed the latest CCCP filters. (released last month)

What can be the problem? All help is appreciated!

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Please help: Ripped DVD's (vob) are not played well with Red October
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2011, 06:41:34 am »

It's not clear where you're trying to play.  Gizmo or MC?

What version of MC?

Don't try anything other than Red October until you have it working there.  MC first, then Gizmo.  Try several movies.

You don't need CCCP any more.

Sandy B Ridge

« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2011, 08:07:14 am »

I think some movies have the aspect ratio messed up. I think this is what the OP is saying. On some DVDs, I have found this also. Some movies are placed incorrectly on screen with the right 25% or so missing. A change of aspect ratio brings the whole image back. It just doesn't seem to auto detect the aspect format correctly in all cases.

I haven't had the chance to extensively look into this, but it affected more than a couple of DVDs in my collection. (I cued up a few to test the problem that I was having on seeking which is now gone).

Let me know what you would like from me in terms of data/logs to further test this. I'm very happy to help. 90% of my collection is VIDEO_ TS folders ripped from within jRiverMC. If you need some PAL discs to test, I have a few duplicates in the loft (provided my other half hasn't donated them to charity already!) that I am willing to mail.   Although they may not be ones that are problemmatic. 

SBR

4BYE

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2011, 08:25:25 am »

I'm most concerned about playing movie files on my laptop (and when I got it to work, on my main PC and other PC's in our house). I'm using MC16 build 160. GIZMO also latest.
Problem with GIZMO is different, I made a different topic about that.
GIZMO is working like it should, except for playing my DVD rips, it cannot find the video files. However mkv, mp4 and mov are played well.
Audio is working too, as is WebPlay.

I searched on the forum but cannot find the same problem. With "Red October" a piece of my movie is missing on the right hand side. It is however centered in the middle of the screen.
(see picture below)

Sandy B Ridge

« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2011, 08:29:32 am »

Bingo! A picture says a thousand words! I'm seeing this also.

4BYE

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2011, 08:35:14 am »

A change of aspect ratio brings the whole image back. It just doesn't seem to auto detect the aspect format correctly in all cases.

Can you tell me exactly how you got the screen right again? I went to advanced options in "video" but switching aspect ratio didn't change the screen.

4BYE

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2011, 08:42:10 am »

Playing a mkv movie doesn't give me a subtitle. It says that it's selected but it doesn't show.

Sandy B Ridge

« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2011, 08:46:13 am »

I right clicked and went to the menu option for changing aspect ratio, chose one of the options, can't remember which one. This flipped the movie to full screen in the correct position. I didn't spend a lot of time testing this as I was only flicking through some movies to test another issue. The movie I watched came up correctly so didn't think too much on it until your post!

I'll have another look tonight and see which movies consistently show this, their aspect ratio, black bars, etc. I need to download Mediainfo I think to grab the information from the Vob file.

SBR

gappie

« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2011, 08:54:55 am »

Playing a mkv movie doesn't give me a subtitle. It says that it's selected but it doesn't show.
ive seen the same, also on XP.. there is some in this thread about it: http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=65274.msg440278#msg440278
the solution for me was setting RO to advanced and the default video renderer to 'enhanced video renderer'. since then subs work nicely.. i wonder if it would help for the cutting off of the screen too.

:)
gab

4BYE

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2011, 09:10:07 am »

Hi Gappie! Yes that works for my mkv too!
And it shows the full screen again of my movies (a couple I've quickly tested).

HOWEVER when I want to drag the timeslider (?) on top of the screen further in time the movie hangs and I have to shutdown MC16 with Windows Task Manager.
But we are getting closer to this problem...! ;D

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2011, 09:16:39 am »

Make sure you're testing 16.0.160, because I was hoping this change might help problems like this:
Changed: Video playback has a forced position update two seconds after playback starts to (hopefully) solve black screen issues that can arise with certain file plus renderer combinations.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

Sandy B Ridge

« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2011, 09:18:37 am »

HOWEVER when I want to drag the timeslider (?) on top of the screen further in time the movie hangs and I have to shutdown MC16 with Windows Task Manager.

hmmm. I thought that was unique to my system and I thought it was cured by 160.

Do you also get a program crash with left and right arrow seek? I haven't tried the slider.

SBR

gappie

« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2011, 09:21:22 am »

i too see the video "hang". but pause and resume seems to restart playback. and this is with ifo/vob, with mkv i have no problem. :)
(but im 1 'beta' version higher).

:)
gab

4BYE

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2011, 09:23:46 am »

With Haali Video Renderer I got it right for the vob files (ripped DVD's). But now the mkv doesn't play...

I have to try with individual settings if I can have them both work...

4BYE

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2011, 09:25:41 am »

Make sure you're testing 16.0.160, because I was hoping this change might help problems like this:
Changed: Video playback has a forced position update two seconds after playback starts to (hopefully) solve black screen issues that can arise with certain file plus renderer combinations.

I do have 160...

4BYE

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #15 on: August 26, 2011, 09:38:11 am »

It seems I got vob, ifo and mkv working.

I have "Default video renderer" set to Haali Video Renderer.

With Matroska Video (mkv) I set "Playback method" to JRiver video engine (using directshow filters)
and "Video Renderer" to Enhanced Video Renderer. (Same for mov and mp4)

The DVD Video (vob, ifo): Playback Method: JRiver Video Engine (using DirectShow filters) and "Video Renderer" to Haali Video Renderer or Automatic (which gives me the Haali anyway since it's the default video renderer now.

Maybe there are other (better) combinations but this works at least. :P

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #16 on: August 26, 2011, 10:03:59 am »

The issue with the right-side being cropped off will be fixed in a coming build.  I'm still trying to figure it out, but there's some timing issue where we get notified about a size change but then it doesn't make it to the renderer until some time later _after_ we finished resizing.

Once that's fixed, I'd recommend Red October Standard or HQ.  Haali won't use our subtitle engine, etc.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

4BYE

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #17 on: August 26, 2011, 10:42:17 am »

OK, that would make everything a lot easier, the way you wanted it to work I guess.  ;D
What is the difference exactly in standard or HQ. I mean will it show on my 42" TV?
What is considered a faster PC?

I'll upgrade anytime now to MC16. (edit: I did upgrade)

Thanks,

Theo
Pages: [1]   Go Up