INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MC Remote Control While Travelling  (Read 739 times)

elprice7345

• World Citizen
MC Remote Control While Travelling
« on: August 31, 2011, 04:19:09 pm »

I would like to be able to remotely control MC running on my laptop (Win7) while travelling. I'd like to be able to send the video out through HDMI to the hotel TV and start, stop, and pause video remotely.

I can use Webremote to do it when I'm on my home network or open a port and control my home PC from a hotel, but I can't figure out how to make it happen when my laptop is connected to the hotel WiFi (or any other location where I don't control the network ports).

Ideally, I could use my iPhone as the remote, but I'd even be willing to buy specialized HW, if it were reasonably priced.

It seems like bluetooth might be the answer, but I haven't found a solution yet.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Ed

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: MC Remote Control While Travelling
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2011, 05:19:32 pm »

I'm not an expert at this, but a situation I was in recently led me tot he following course of action. It may or may not work for you. Can you create a new network in the hotel room, using the ad-hoc (?) option, so that it's just between your computer and the iPhone? I did this on a train recently and was able to use Air Video to send video to my iPhone from my laptop. I only had bluetooth headphones but no BT on the laptop, so by transcoding video on the fly to my iPhone I was able to watch movies on a smaller screen, but without disturbing anyone.
Pages: [1]   Go Up