INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Sidecar Files for DVD ISO Files?  (Read 989 times)

SmoothJimB

• Recent member
Sidecar Files for DVD ISO Files?
« on: September 16, 2011, 11:18:42 pm »

My system does not seem to create sidecar files for my dvd iso files like it does for other video types.

Most of my video library are rips of my large dvd collection.  When importing them I am tagging them as "Video" files in the Media Type field, if that matters with respect to sidecar generation. 

When I select these files and choose: Tools, Library Tools, Update Tags (from library) it seems to be updating something with respect to these ISO's but I don't see the jriver sidecar files I see for other video types in the same directory as the files.  What is it updating then?

If MC16 does not support sidecar files for ISO video, can it in the future, if not why not?

Is there an option in MC16 to have ISO files default as a "Video" Media type instead of "Data"?

BTW I absolutely love the "Get Movie info..." feature and recent additions of TMDb and Rotten Tomatoes. 

Thanks for a tremendous product.

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • The Cosmic Bird
Re: Sidecar Files for DVD ISO Files?
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2011, 02:01:52 am »

When tags are applied to ISO files in library views the files are probably treated as documents (despite the media type tag). MC does not use sidecar files with document files.

When you tag a mounted ISO DVD disc in Playing Now MC cannot save the sidecar file in the VIDEO_TS folder because the mounted DVD file structure is read-only.

If you are not willing to extract the ISO files to disk folders you can back the metadata up by exporting MPL playlists which contain all metada. Of course, the primary backup system should be based on library backup files (MC creates automatic backup files periodically and you can use the Back Up Library tool for creating backup files to a safe location at specific moments), but if you want to import metadata to other MC instances and/or libraries you can use MPL playlists.

The Export Playlist tool has a "relative paths" option. This option will make the playlist drive letter and network path independent (you can export one playlist to each root folder if you have files on several logical drives or network shares).
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755
Pages: [1]   Go Up