INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MC Library & Folders, Import does not see my network  (Read 1659 times)

CountryBumkin

• Citizen of the Universe
MC Library & Folders, Import does not see my network
« on: September 26, 2011, 09:17:48 am »

I am setting up a couple of my computers (MC version 176) to import media/data using the Library & Folders > Auto Import settings. When I click on the "add" button in Configure auto-import, the only network computer shown is the computer I'm using (none of my network shows). But if I go to Windows Computer > Network (on the same computer), I see all of my networked computers. I checked my Home Group settings and Firewall settings between the other computers I use, and I see no difference. I think the cause of this is somethong within MC program. I have four computers on my (hard-wired) network running MC and only one is having this problem.
Any suggestions what I should check?
Thanks.

Vocalpoint

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: MC Library & Folders, Import does not see my network
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2011, 09:50:54 am »

I am setting up a couple of my computers (MC version 176) to import media/data using the Library & Folders > Auto Import settings. When I click on the "add" button in Configure auto-import, then only network computer shown is the computer I'm using (none of my network shows). But if I go to Windows Computer > Network (on the same computer), I see all of my networked computers. I checked my Home Group settings and Firewall settings between the other computers I use, and I see no difference. I think the cause of this is somethong within MC program. I have four computers on my (hard-wired) network running MC and only one is having this problem.
Any suggestions what I should check?
Thanks.

One tip I can pass along right away is to ditch the whole "homegroup" thing as provided by Windows 7. I am well aware that any Windows 7 station tries as it might to connect you to an existing group or relentlessly prompts you to create a new one...but if you want much better networking in general and nice speed with no hiccups - change ALL your workstations to use "Work" as their network type.

Of course you can still use "workgroup" as your "network" but unless you REALLY need/use use this functionality like Windows Media Center is your thing (which I doubt it is since you use MC) - just get rid of it.

I have had problems like you described in the past and then recently - when I was rebuilding my workstation - I stumbled across an article out on the Web that went into this in mucho detail...essentially dumping all the Homegroup stuff reverts a Windows workstation back to what you would see in a typical corporate network environment...you will need to share things manually and so on - but you see none of these weird security and "disappearing" workstation stuff.

In the last few weeks (since I shut this crap off every workstation in the house - even my Windows Home Server)...I have seen much more robust networking speeds and have never had an issue (with MC or anything else) making the right connections or "seeing" the entire infrastructure from any given station.

VP
Pages: [1]   Go Up