INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Songs slightly overlap when ripping from CD.  (Read 14801 times)

icee_smooth

Songs slightly overlap when ripping from CD.
« on: September 21, 2011, 09:53:08 pm »

As the subject says, whenever I rip from a CD (homemade or commercially pressed) there seems to be a slight overlapping from the end of one track to the beginning of the next.  Lets say anywhere between .1 to .5 of a second.  As a result there's a clicking or popping noise (that can be somewhat loud at times) at the end of one track while a small piece of the next track is missing at the beginning because it was ripped on the first track.  I'm ripping in .mp3 format and I've tried changing the gap timing on the DSP settings, going gapless, not using DSP settings at all and all I'm getting is the same result.  Is there anyway I can fix this? Is there something else I should tinker with in the burn settings to correct this?

remixedcat

• Junior Woodchuck
Re: Songs slightly overlap when ripping from CD.
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2011, 10:23:10 pm »

have you tried re-burning the discs?? also do any other ripper software does this?

icee_smooth

« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2011, 11:22:39 pm »

I have tried several times re-ripping the disc and have also ripped the same disc through Windows Media Player (which I despise) and Roxio CD program that came preinstalled on my computer.  Both of those ripped the disc fine without any overlap.  I'm not sure why MJ can't do the same thing.  Could it possibly be the .mp3 encoder?  I had to buy a LAME encoder specific to MJ in order to rip to .mp3 format with their program so I'm pretty sure Roxio and WMP aren't ripping under the same software or encoder that MJ uses.

remixedcat

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2011, 05:00:46 am »

try ripping in wma and then using dBPoweramp to convert the media....

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2011, 05:22:40 am »

In my experience ripping with MC14 works fine. MJ14 is based on the same program code (I don't have the MP3 license for MJ). MC14 and MJ14 do not have any ripping or encoding settings that could cause a problem like you described.

Perhaps your problem is actually caused by the playback settings. Have you tried to play the problem files with WMP or some other player?

I would first check the "Do not play silence (leading and trailing)" playback option. It is intended to be used with Cross-fade. If you want to play the files gaplessly (i.e. exactly as they are on the CD) you should select "Switch tracks: Gapless" and uncheck the "Do not play silence (leading and trailing)" option.  (you can access the options from the top menu: Player > Playback Options > Playback Options... > Track Change...)

try ripping in wma and then using dBPoweramp to convert the media...

Generally speaking transcoding from WMA (lossy) to MP3 is not a good idea (it reduces quality), but as a test, you can rip in any other format than MP3 (uncompressed wave would be fine) to exclude a possible problem with the ripping engine. There is no need to use dBPoweramp. Just play the ripped files with some other player to verify that they are OK.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755
Pages: [1]   Go Up