INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Media Center And Discrete Video vs. HD2000  (Read 5925 times)

samtheman57

• Junior Woodchuck
Media Center And Discrete Video vs. HD2000
« on: September 26, 2011, 11:13:14 am »

I am doing a modest upgrade, getting a new motherboard and CPU/RAM for my Windows 7 PC.

The new motherboard is based on the Intel Z-68 chipset which features integrated graphics.

I have done my own PC builds for years, and I am debating whether to add in a modest discrete graphics card using Lucid Logix Virtu (load shifted between discrete and integrated GPU) or just go with the Intel chips integrated graphics.

I have been loving playing You Tube and streaming videos inside the J River Media Center, Theater View etc.

What I am wondering is, will there be a loss of quality in MC using integrated vs.a discrete graphics card?

Probably an "outside the box" issue, and I am definitely not a PC gamer, so I am leaning towards trying the Intel integrated graphics.

However, if it degrades the quality of video in MC I definitely want the extra horsepower of a discrete GPU.

By the way, this is the best piece of software for the money I have ever purchased.

CountryBumkin

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Media Center And Discrete Video vs. HD2000
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2011, 11:55:37 am »

I have MB with Z68 chipset and i5-2500K (HD3000 GPU). It is powerful enough to run the "best/highest" JRiver graphics settigns (RO+HQ).
But my other computer is Intel i3-2100 (HD2000 GPU) and it can't handle RO+HQ, so I added an nVidia GT440 (with the DDR5 mem.) and now it runs RO+HQ.

Try the integrated graphics first, you can always add a Video card later. But I would not get anything less than an Intel "i5" if it were me. IMO.

samtheman57

• Junior Woodchuck
Re: Media Center And Discrete Video vs. HD2000
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2011, 01:09:37 pm »

Thanks for the response Country:

I have MB with Z68 chipset and i5-2500K (HD3000 GPU). It is powerful enough to run the "best/highest" JRiver graphics settigns (RO+HQ).

But my other computer is Intel i3-2100 (HD2000 GPU) and it can't handle RO+HQ, so I added an nVidia GT440 (with the DDR5 mem.) and now it runs RO+HQ.

I had to spring for the "budget" i3 2100 choosing an Asus P8Z68 motherboard. The motherboard is a springboard for a better Sandy Bridge down the road. Basically I am just moving from Core 2 Duo circa 2008 and Asus motherboard circa 2007 into 2011. Hopefully saving energy was a goal, but not at the expense of decent performance on a "non gaming" level.

Try the integrated graphics first, you can always add a Video card later. But I would not get anything less than an Intel "i5" if it were me. IMO.

I have read reviews and opinions until my eyes are about to come out of their sockets, with no clear opinion, but streaming video is definitely up there. I probably will try that first. Thanks for your reply.
Pages: [1]   Go Up