INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Zone Alarm  (Read 1242 times)

lazy

• Junior Woodchuck
Zone Alarm
« on: October 03, 2011, 08:38:14 am »

Since the MC crew are so productive  :) I wondered if someone could help me with an annoying problem: Each time I upgrade the version of MC, ie, 16.0.xxx, Zone Alarm treats this version as a "new application" that I have to clear for internet connection etc. This means that when I upgrade to 16.0.xxx, and sitting on my server I have to connect from the outside to the Library Server so that I can verify in ZA that this is a legitimate request. I have coped with this for a long time, but every now and then I forget, and then when I'm out traveling, I'm without access to my music.  >:(

Does anyone have a workaround ?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Zone Alarm
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2011, 10:30:16 am »

I think that's a Zone Alarm issue, but if you're uninstalling each time, don't.  Just install.

Sandy B Ridge

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2011, 10:41:36 am »

You could set MC to only do manual updates so that you're not caught out accidentally without music whilst travelling.

Could you arrange a 'remote desktop' into the server from outside? I have splashtop remote on my ipad that I believe can 'remote' into my PC from outside my home subnet. I've never had a cause to try it so can't vouch for it working!

Sounds like zonealarm detects a new version or date for the exe and insists on verification. Any help on their forums?

SBR

mbagge

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2011, 10:50:18 am »

McAfee also wants permission to allow for internet access each time MC upgrades.

I think it treats the new build as a new unknown application each time. Maybe it creates some kind of fingerprint of the .exe file and that changes with every upgrade.

I guess I have to live with it as long as I use McAfee.
Pages: [1]   Go Up