INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: cover arts disappear after being played on clients  (Read 3881 times)

HTPC4ME

• Citizen of the Universe
  • LIFE IS A RADIO... CRANK IT UP TO 11!
cover arts disappear after being played on clients
« on: October 03, 2011, 02:48:12 pm »

having problems with cover arts disappearing on server and clients after they have been watched on clients.
Only way to get them back is to do a qucik find in cover art location. An auto import does not rebuild them.
This only happens after the video has been watched/chosen to watch!
Thanks

wig

• MC Beta Team
Re: cover arts disappear after being played on clients
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2011, 04:10:05 pm »

having problems with cover arts disappearing on server and clients after they have been watched on clients.
Only way to get them back is to do a qucik find in cover art location. An auto import does not rebuild them.
This only happens after the video has been watched/chosen to watch!
Thanks

I'm having the same problems with audio files. The cover art is missing, and when I check the server the entire album will have cover art except for the song currently being played.

I haven't figured out how to reproduce it consistently but something strange is going on.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2011, 05:16:19 pm »

How exactly go you guys have your cover-art stored? I'm assuming that it's in a location which isn't in the same place as the audio file?
Is it on a network share?
Are the clients and servers all on the same LAN?

HTPC4ME

« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2011, 05:19:43 pm »

Wig, just ran test on clients for audio, and yup that cover art disappears on clients and server as well, if i chose auto import it does not rebuild them, i have to find the songs/videos with covers missing then chose to look in cover art location and have jriver rebuild them. but if i play that song vid again then it removes cover from server and clients.

Bob - my cover arts are all in the same folder as the media files as folder.jpg

My library is setup as follows (thanks Jmone)

have all my media hard drives, then i setup network shares of all media harddrives, then i import those network shares into jriver, then clients connect to jriver.

wig

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2011, 07:18:57 pm »

How exactly go you guys have your cover-art stored? I'm assuming that it's in a location which isn't in the same place as the audio file?
Is it on a network share?
Are the clients and servers all on the same LAN?

All files on a NAS. File art embedded in file and stored in the same directory as the audio files. Problem occurs on my LAN.

Happily used the same setup for years with no problems. This issue just started with the last few versions.

HTPC4ME

« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2011, 07:20:49 pm »

same here... last few versions.

The Mastermind

• World Citizen
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2011, 09:28:02 pm »

It's been happening for a while. It creates the secondary problem of figuring out which files have lost cover art. And when that cover art is a scan of an obscure 45rpm single label it's an extra pain to replace.

HTPC4ME

« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2011, 10:21:59 pm »

i tried setting up a smartlist for missing coverarts, but it doesn't find them due to the fact when you goto tags and click on cover art there is text in there, so then the smartlist cant find it because its empty

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2011, 12:18:20 pm »

And what OS are you guys using?

The coverart is lost as far as the database on the server is concerned but it's not actually deleted from either the storage location OR the file tags, correct??

bil1010105

• World Citizen
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2011, 12:57:16 pm »

I have the same problem, detailed here:

http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=66461.0

Not managed to get it working yet, and it's absolutely maddening.  :'(

Both machines on the same LAN, both machines running Windows 7 x64 and a shared library (but with their own sets of thumbnails, pointing at the same location (i.e. local C:\...etc)). I have scripts that synchronise the two clients' thumbnails, which works until they are either played or selected to be played... then they disappear.

wig

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2011, 01:02:32 pm »

And what OS are you guys using?

The coverart is lost as far as the database on the server is concerned but it's not actually deleted from either the storage location OR the file tags, correct??

My server runs on Win7 Home Premium, Clients are XP. All fully patched.

In my case the cover art is still there, but I have to go to the server and choose Quick Find in File/Cover Art directory to re-associate the file.

HTPC4ME

« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2011, 02:32:18 pm »

jriver server running on windows 7 home premium service pack 1 32 bit
Clients are all windows 7 home premium (some 32 bit, some 64 bit) and android gizmo
In my case cover art is gone on server and clients, but when i click on cover art in tag it shows text(it's not empty) so i cannot setup a smartlist for all files of cover art missing.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2011, 05:21:51 pm »

We setup a test of this as follows:

My PC used as library server, setup authentication. All music and cover art stored on a local drive. Removed the cover-art from the tags (my usual method of storing it). Saved the cover art as Folder.jpg in the location of the music file, did the quick find. Music plays properly on the server and with the correct cover art.

Go to second PC, connect to my library server. Cover art is good. Play lots of files, jump around a lot. Cover art still works. Go back to the server, cover art still works.

I'm at a bit of a loss. I'd suspect some sort of temporarily unavailable folder if your media was on a share. Maybe permissions if it's local? A virus scanner locking directories while running??

HTPC4ME

« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2011, 10:08:51 pm »

temporarily unavailable folder if your media was on a share. Maybe permissions if it's local?
it's only if the files are played. They are there until played, load up everytime upon new connection, etc... ive ran tests on recently imported files and files ive had for years - it removes the cover arts from recently imported files and old ones.
filetypes on mine where cover arts are removing  - Yet to run this test, but i will keep an eye on if it's a certain type
I Will also get code for cover art in cover art tag next time ones goes missing.

Yet to try this in standard view (if cover art disappears on client if in standard view or if it is just theaterview) - will give that a go later this eve.

But as Wig said... it's only been recent - last 4-5 versions maybe.

wig

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2011, 07:45:39 am »

I'm at a bit of a loss. I'd suspect some sort of temporarily unavailable folder if your media was on a share. Maybe permissions if it's local? A virus scanner locking directories while running??

It's very confusing to me, too. It only happens occasionally, but often enough to be aggravating. I'll keep trying to figure out the pattern.

I'm using MSE exclusively for virus protection.

Thanks for looking into it.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #15 on: October 06, 2011, 09:56:59 am »

I'll load up MSE on the client and try it in theater view (I was using standard view). Also, my test library is all mp3 and coverart is jpg. If you find it's happening with only certain file/coverart types please let us know...

wig

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #16 on: October 06, 2011, 12:59:56 pm »

I'll load up MSE on the client and try it in theater view (I was using standard view). Also, my test library is all mp3 and coverart is jpg. If you find it's happening with only certain file/coverart types please let us know...

Bob, I think I've found a potential source of my issue.

I've recently replace a lot of my .mp3 files with .flac files. I did this by renaming the .mp3 file with a .flac extension and then overwriting it with the actual .flac file.  I then Update Tags (from library) and the Update Library (from tags).

These files are the ones that are being affected. I have Convert Audio when necessary activated on the library server; I think that in combination with the flac files are causing the art to disappear. I'll do some more investigation when I get a chance.

wig

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #17 on: October 06, 2011, 01:28:21 pm »

Bob, I think I've found a potential source of my issue.

I've recently replace a lot of my .mp3 files with .flac files. I did this by renaming the .mp3 file with a .flac

Just an update, I have new .flac files that were added my library, with no preexisting entries, that are also dropping album art. It's still only happens occasionally; some songs on an album will play and keep their art while others tracks will lose it.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #18 on: October 06, 2011, 01:38:24 pm »

Is there any chance that the server is running two versions of Media Server (MC15 and MC16, for example)?

HTPC4ME

« Reply #19 on: October 06, 2011, 03:02:44 pm »

my setup is all jriver 16 newest version, and i do not have any .flac files (all mp3's) video files (every type imaginable)

wig

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #20 on: October 06, 2011, 03:49:42 pm »

Is there any chance that the server is running two versions of Media Server (MC15 and MC16, for example)?

Nope. It's a new HTPC (Acer Aspire R3700) and my initial install was 16.1.39

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #21 on: October 07, 2011, 05:44:51 am »

Is this an issue with disappearing cover art links (or disappearing embedded cover art) or a thumbnailing issue?

What does the Image File field show on the server before and after the visible thumbnail has been lost? What does it show on the client? Have you allowed the clients to apply changes to the server library?

Do you guys happen to have a copy of the server library also as one of the local libraries on the client(s) -- either restored to "Main Library or as an additional library  -- or are you also accessing the server's library files directly from the client (i.e. using the so called shared library system)?
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

wig

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #22 on: October 07, 2011, 07:16:28 am »

Is this an issue with disappearing cover art links (or disappearing embedded cover art) or a thumbnailing issue

What does the Image File field show on the server before and after the visible thumbnail has been lost? What does it show on the client? Have you allowed the clients to apply changes to the server library?

Do you guys happen to have a copy of the server library also as one of the local libraries on the client(s) -- either restored to "Main Library or as an additional library  -- or are you also accessing the server's library files directly from the client (i.e. using the so called shared library system)?

The cover art and the thumbnail are both lost. Image Field displays Inside File previously, but is blanked out afterwards.

I'm using standard Client-Server system, not shared library.

More info - Since I've started concentrating on this issue, I've noticed another pattern. All the instances of the disappearing Cover art occur where there is no folder.jpg, and the cover art in embedded in the file itself. To repair I choose another track from the album that still has the Inside File
option and click Save Cover Art to External Location Specified in Options, then click the offending track and choose Quick Find in File / Cover Art directory.

bil1010105

• World Citizen
« Reply #23 on: October 07, 2011, 07:20:34 am »

In my case, I'm using a shared library (on a NAS) with locally replicated thumbnails. Both clients using the same MC16 version.

The issue appears to affect both cover art and thumbnails, and only video files in my case. I've also taken to exporting the cover art separately into another folder, just so it can be found (relatively) easily again.

I haven't tried it with Standard View yet.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #24 on: October 07, 2011, 09:43:23 am »

The cover art and the thumbnail are both lost. Image Field displays Inside File previously, but is blanked out afterwards.

I'm using standard Client-Server system, not shared library.

More info - Since I've started concentrating on this issue, I've noticed another pattern. All the instances of the disappearing Cover art occur where there is no folder.jpg, and the cover art in embedded in the file itself. To repair I choose another track from the album that still has the Inside File
option and click Save Cover Art to External Location Specified in Options, then click the offending track and choose Quick Find in File / Cover Art directory.
For this specific setup, on a track that seems broken, can you try right-click on the track then library tools -> update library (from tags) then right-click cover art -> copy to clipboard and then try to view the clipboard in ms paint? Trying to find out if the art is getting corrupted in the tags. It would be weird if it was since nothing has changed in the tagging that I know of. When you do this test, we also need to know the file type and cover art type.

wig

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #25 on: October 07, 2011, 04:31:37 pm »

For this specific setup, on a track that seems broken, can you try right-click on the track then library tools -> update library (from tags) then right-click cover art -> copy to clipboard and then try to view the clipboard in ms paint? Trying to find out if the art is getting corrupted in the tags. It would be weird if it was since nothing has changed in the tagging that I know of. When you do this test, we also need to know the file type and cover art type.

I updated library from tags (0 failures), but the copy to clipboard command was grayed out. Looks like it just gets lost.

I tried changing Audio Conversion settings, and also switching between .flacs that have stack files and those that don't. Still no pattern.
Pages: [1]   Go Up