INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: WHS2011 Client Install Issues & MC?  (Read 4117 times)

jmone

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • I won! I won!
WHS2011 Client Install Issues & MC?
« on: October 06, 2011, 06:25:41 am »

Anyone having issues with the WHS2011 Client SW not installing on MC boxs?  It worked on most of mine but fails to complete the install on my main PC (has MC running as a server) and on my HTPC (MC as a client).
JRiver CEO Elect

lhwidget

• World Citizen
Re: WHS2011 Client Install Issues & MC?
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2011, 07:08:26 am »

I'm sorry I'm only running WHS v1 and I'm only pulling data off the server with MC16 on clients (not running anything on the server).

I've never experienced any problems on my HTPCs running WHS client software after many MC15 & 16 installs though.

Maybe try un-installing WHS client, installing MC, then re-installing the WHS client?

Vocalpoint

« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2011, 10:50:52 am »

Anyone having issues with the WHS2011 Client SW not installing on MC boxs?  It worked on most of mine but fails to complete the install on my main PC (has MC running as a server) and on my HTPC (MC as a client).

I have mucho experience in this area - and there are several key reasons why the client won't install:

The big things that MUST be done prior to attempting this are :

1. Time Zone. You need to ensure your machine time zone matches that on the server. If they do but you still have issues - you may have to roll both WHS server and client over to PST. After a successful install - switch them back to wherever you live.

2. Windows Media Services - everything must be correctly installed - even if you do not use these (HUGE pet peeve of mine). These include Windows Media Player, Windows Media Center etc etc. Use the Add/Remove Windows Features applet to put these back in place if you removed them at some point in the past.

3. .NET 4 - again - another complete PITA - but this must be correctly installed as well. If it's already installed and you continue to have issues - you may need to remove and reinstall .NET 4 on the server AND your client.

Let us know how it goes :)

VP

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2011, 01:52:59 pm »

Thanks - I'll have another go today, and the reason I posted here was that I read alot of issue regarding MS media services not running - and I know that MC does turn some of this off to stop MCE gaining green button control....
JRiver CEO Elect

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2011, 05:55:10 pm »

I hate WHS2011 at this point...
4 x Laptop = Fine

On the two PC's with issues, I've enable/disabled WMC, uninstalled/reinstalled .NET 4, done all the updates from MS and so far all I have
1 x HTPC = Got the Connector Installed but backups fail at 1% with "An error prevented backup from running"
1 x Main PC = The Connector Install fails right at the very end with "The Windows Home Server 2011 Connector has encountered an unexpected error...."

All my PC's are Win7 (a mix of 32 and 64-bit).  The only think I can think off is I have run MC16 as a server at various times and have suppressed WMC.....
JRiver CEO Elect

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2011, 03:56:34 am »

You are not going to belive it but I got the connector to install on my main PC (and a backup is underway) by disabling all the MS Media options in Windows Control Panel --> Programs and Features --> Turn Windows features on or off --> Unchecked "Media Features" (Windows DVD maker, Media Centre, Media Player).

Now just down to the HTPC which looks like a VSS permission error but it looks like a rebuild is comming very quickly for this PC!
JRiver CEO Elect

Vocalpoint

« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2011, 08:01:49 am »

You are not going to believe it but I got the connector to install on my main PC (and a backup is underway) by disabling all the MS Media options in Windows Control Panel --> Programs and Features --> Turn Windows features on or off --> Unchecked "Media Features" (Windows DVD maker, Media Centre, Media Player).

Actually - by "unchecking" them - you are in fact "enabling" them. So good one!.

VP
Pages: [1]   Go Up