INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Help: New iPod nano is not recognized by MC16  (Read 14762 times)

rsinyard

Help: New iPod nano is not recognized by MC16
« on: October 06, 2011, 09:05:10 am »

My MC error message tells me that it does not recognize my iPod and to look for a newer version of MC.  I have the latest version.  Is this a common problem?  All my other iPods sync flawlessly?  Is there a fix for this?

bob

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Help: New iPod nano is not recognized by MC16
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2011, 10:09:38 am »

My MC error message tells me that it does not recognize my iPod and to look for a newer version of MC.  I have the latest version.  Is this a common problem?  All my other iPods sync flawlessly?  Is there a fix for this?
When Apple started encrypting the ipod database we lost the ability to sync directly to it. This includes all iPhones, iPod touch models, nano's newer than the 4th gen (the 4th gen was the first landscape model, the one without a camera). As far as I know, even the latest classics still work.

There are several workarounds. There is a simple playlist sync feature in MC that will use an installed iTunes API to push playlists to the device (file->export to itunes and iphone). There are also third party solutions referenced here that do more comprehensive file transfer.

contium

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2011, 11:24:39 am »

As far as I know, even the latest classics still work.

This is correct. My G1 160GB classic was on perpetual loan to my girlfriend so I just bought a new G2 160GB Classic last week and it works perfect with MC. The newer one sounds much better too for some reason.

Bob007

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2011, 07:14:56 am »

contium, which version of MC are you using with the latest iPod classic?  

I ask as I have MC14 and a 5th edition of the iPod range (2005).  Both work great in compatibility terms and I've never had the need to upgrade MC (I don't need the newer features) so I've been happy to leave the working configuration as is (esp. given the removal of iPod support).

I now want to go upgrade the the 160Gb classic.  If that means updating MC to a newer or indeed the latest version, that's fine; I'm happy to do so.  Appreciate there's some risk given the lack of iPod support but I'm happy to work off other users' experiences.

contium

• World Citizen
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2011, 01:18:27 pm »

I'm using MC16. I think I might still have MC14 installed. If so, I will see if it works.

Bob007

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2011, 02:58:43 pm »

I'm using MC16. I think I might still have MC14 installed. If so, I will see if it works.

Thanks - that's useful.  Don't worry if you can't test against MC14 - like I said, I'm happy to upgrade  :)

Bob007

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2013, 01:55:52 pm »

Apologies.  For the benefit of others, I should have updated this thread with my findings for anyone who should stumble across this via a search.

I did purchase an iPod Classic as a result of this thread.  At the time, it didn't work with my existing version of MC (v14) but I downloaded a trial of MC17 and that sync'd perfectly once I had initialised the iPod within MC.  I had no issues; it was so smooth you wouldn't think that J River no longer supported.  Licence purchased, needless to say.

More than a year on, it's still working fine.  My music collection is now 90% FLAC and sync'ing still works like a dream.  No significant issues - the only major pain point has been when I've forgotten to prevent iTunes running which has then corrupted the iPod db which then requires a re-initialise and a re-sync.

I'm a happy chappy  :)

Dreading the next the upgrade of my player but it's likely to be a hardware choice i.e. a player that works with J River rather than me trying to find software that works with an iPod.   
Pages: [1]   Go Up