INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: DLNA "Local" file playback  (Read 15295 times)

Mr. Tuesdays

• Recent member
DLNA "Local" file playback
« on: October 16, 2011, 04:21:39 pm »

By local, I mean on the playback device.

Here is the question:  If using a DLNA device such as Squeezebox Touch or WD TV Live Plus with an attached USB drive, will files be pulled directly off the USB drive into the DLNA device for playback?  Or will they transit the network and pass thru the instance of MC that you are using as a controller?

At present I use MC16 to control another copy of MC running on the HTPC.  The HTPC is seen as a Zone.  As far as I can tell, the files on a USB drive are played back directly by the HTPC, the copy of MC on my laptop is only a controller. Works great.
But, will it work that way with a simpler device like the Touch or WD?  The idea is to prevent MC on my laptop from doing the actual playback, it needs to be just a controller.  It works that way with the HTPC running MC as a zone, but will it do the same with other devices?

Thanks.  I've been reading the DLNA threads, but could not figure this out.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: DLNA "Local" file playback
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2011, 06:36:01 pm »

By local, I mean on the playback device.

Here is the question:  If using a DLNA device such as Squeezebox Touch or WD TV Live Plus with an attached USB drive, will files be pulled directly off the USB drive into the DLNA device for playback?   
Yes.

Mr. Tuesdays

• Recent member
Re: DLNA "Local" file playback
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2011, 10:04:40 pm »

Great!  Thanks Jim. 
And thanks for moving this to the right section.
Pages: [1]   Go Up