INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: My Fault for Liking Red October--Still My Fault!  (Read 2421 times)

jgreen

• Citizen of the Universe
My Fault for Liking Red October--Still My Fault!
« on: October 18, 2011, 02:30:01 pm »

. . . It doesn't work anymore.  I switched from Zone Alarm firewall to using Windows Firewall with the Windows Firewall Controller (Sphinx).  Now I can't get audio when playing SOME avi files (but others work fine) and RO won't load at all.  I see pedestrian-grade video and NO AUDIO.  No MadVR icon in the tray.

I'm dead certain I'm blocking something in MC, but what?  MC isn't asking for any access or priviledges, and hasn't even tried to update codecs yet, nor even complained about it.  

Started yesterday, running v16.0.179, still does it with 16.0.180.

AAARGH!  

mbagge

• Galactic Citizen
Re: My Fault for Liking Red October
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2011, 02:34:46 pm »

Windows Firewall Controller (Sphinx) has a log of what it blocks. Any hints in there ?

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: My Fault for Liking Red October
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2011, 02:51:52 pm »

Try Red October Standard, and a reboot.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

jgreen

Re: My Fault for Liking Red October--Still My Fault!
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2011, 03:34:08 pm »

Okay, here is what I can report:

--The AVI's whose audio was playing correctly were reporting "mp3" under Stream Selection.

--The AVI's whose audio was NOT playing correctly (silent) were reporting "AC3" under Stream Selection.

--IFO's were playing correctly.

I believe at no time during this was MadVR being called, although I cannot be sure.

----NOW FOR THE UPDATE----

I fiddled a bit under "Red OCtober HQ With Filters" and got the screen to sputter and cough, and then went back to Red October HQ", and found that madVR was being called successfully, AND NOW THERE IS NO VIDEO, ALTHOUGH THERE IS AUDIO.  There is no audio for either AC3 or MP3 streams.

--Under Red October (Standard), I get audio+video, but MadVR is not being called--there is no MadVR otion available under "Direct Show Selection".

IFO still play properly, although MadVR is not involved in IFO playback, if I understand correctly.

Ideas?  Commiseration?

Thanks in advance for your pity!

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2011, 04:24:55 pm »

I think what you're saying is that Red October Standard is working fine.  Is that true?

The main difference between Standard and HQ is madVR, and it's possible your hardware doesn't like madVR.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

jgreen

« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2011, 05:05:58 pm »

Okay, Matt, I didn't understand that about RO Standard.  Yes, in that case I think "working fine" describes it.  However, it pales in comparison to the magnificent HQ, which ISN'T.

Hardware-wise, I have a Radeon 6770m 2gb graphics card, which by golly ought to like HQ.  I've got another 8gb of mobo ram, and an intel quad proc.  So I think it's my software, most likely my Sphinx windows firewall controller, which by the way isn't blocking anything there that I can find in the log file.

AAARGH!! 

jgreen

« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2011, 05:28:49 pm »

Okay, based on Matt's last little nudge, I believe I'm now on the way to clarity, video and otherwise.

I went into ROHQ with filters, and then messed around with the acquire filter.  Setting it to "AVI/WAV"  did the trick, and setting it back to "automatic" did not destroy it.  So it's possibl it was set on seomthing else, although at this point I'm done goofing with it.  With this in mind, I suspect it is not my OS firewall, but competing video handlers.  I have an Intel mobo graphics chip which has a color controller, and then the Radeon graphics card has its own color controller.  And then there is ROHQ.  Plenty of opportunity there to bump elbows.

But for now it's working fine, and I have a direction to investigate if ROHQ disconnects again.  Thank you JRiver!

jgreen

« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2011, 05:38:02 pm »

Stepping back to take the broad view here, this thread should serve to reinforce how truly useless I was as a beta tester, if there were any lingering questions.

Thanks again Matt!

CountryBumkin

« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2011, 06:21:07 pm »

Sometimes these mad scientists need an average guy like me or you to beta test so they can see what kind of stuff trips us up.

This was MC1 ...

Then they tried this ....

Hoping to get to this (MC20?) ....

jgreen

« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2011, 12:55:22 pm »

Excellent point, CB, that's the kind of sense I try to make!

Regarding my difficulties with ROHQ, I believe I'm getting warmer here, and it really IS my fault (my fault for buying a hifalutin graphics subsystem).

It turns out the Radeon 6770m 2gb card is set by default to be switchable between it and the onboard intel gfx chip.  The default mode is "automatic", with user-configurable modes on a per-application basis.  This convoluted setup was apparently intended to achieve power savings--meaningless when the laptop is plugged in.  Moreover, there are many reports of a long-standing issue with EVER getting the Radeon to switch to high-powered graphics. 

But thanks to the in-ter-net, I learned how to configure the BIOS so that none of that switching nonsense occurs when plugged in.  Forget per-application graphics, I have a graphics card now, and the darn thing seems to work.

Since I made this change my screen no longer jumps around from low- to high-resolution when I'm configuring Red October.  It appears each new application (MadVR, for example) was defaulting on startup to low-power gfx, and then getting upgraded a half-second later to hi-res, by which time MadVR had thrown up its arms and given up--as I almost did.

CONCLUSION:

There's just no way to get a fair shake in this world.  Switchable graphics?  Graphics systems have worked fine for two decades, and did everything they needed to do.  So it took them 20 years to figure out how to break that?

Pages: [1]   Go Up