INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MC-DSP: A utility to export/import Media Center DSP presets to and from file  (Read 4275 times)

terrym@tassie

• MC Beta Team
  • Galactic Citizen

EDIT: MC 27.0.46 (and greater) now allows DSP settings to be saved to file in DSP Studio
Still no selective or partial load of settings however, which this utility supports

I am sharing this utility Powershell script in response to this post here: https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=123362.0

The MC-DSP.ps1 Powershell script enables file based transfer of DSP settings between systems and major versions of Media Center.
It is used in conjunction with Media Center DSP Studio.

MC-DSP exports the registry keys and properties of a DSP preset as Powershell custom objects to an XML format file.
MC-DSP imports the custom objects from the XML file and creates or overwrites DSP preset entries in the registry.
MC-DSP can filter the keys and properties that are imported to give finer control of the DSP settings that are modified when a DSP preset is loaded by DSP Studio.

------- Using MC-DSP with DSP Studio -------

The process is:
1. Use DSP Studio to Save a DSP preset with the settings required.
2. Use MC-DSP to export the saved DSP preset to an XML file.
3. Use MC-DSP to import either all or a subset of the DSP preset from the file and either create a new DSP preset (recommended) or overwrite an existing saved DSP preset.
4. Finally use DSP Studio to Load the DSP preset that has been created or modified in step 3.

------- Suggested uses for MC-DSP: -------

Copying all the settings from a DSP preset on one system and restoring them on another.
Creating a preset that ONLY loads Parametric Equalizer and Parameteric Equalizer 2 (if used) settings and leaves all other settings untouched.
Importing Parametric Equalizer settings to Parametric Equalizer 2: this allows for quick comparison of filter settings.
Creating a preset that ONLY loads a specific DSP setting such as 'Room Correction' and leaves all other settings untouched.
Copying DSP settings between different versions of Media Center, for example from MC25 to MC26.

For full details please read MC-DSP-Overview.txt attached to this post.
For information on installing the script please read MC-DSP-installation.txt

The script and associated files are contained in the attached zip file MC-DSP.zip

I think this is of minority interest but I hope it may useful to some.

Terry
" I like work: it fascinates me. I can sit and look at it for hours." -Jerome K. Jerome

rts100x5

• Recent member

It would be nice if there were some integration with REW

terrym@tassie

• MC Beta Team
  • Galactic Citizen

It would be nice if there were some integration with REW
I will have a look at this when I have some time free, may be possible as REW can export filter settings in various formats.

The MC-DSP script was not designed to generate MC DSP settings, merely to export them from registry to file and vice versa. However it shouldn't be too difficult to edit the MC PEQ xml entries to set up new filters (famous last words).

Why not raise a request in the MC27 forum for a new feature to allow MC to import REW PEQ filter settings?

This script is after all merely 'creative hackery' to get around an issue in MC DSP studio.

Terry
" I like work: it fascinates me. I can sit and look at it for hours." -Jerome K. Jerome

wer

• Citizen of the Universe

Mattkhan just drew my attention to this; I'd never seen it.

Thanks for this Terry. Import/export is functionality MC should have.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!

All of the zone preset settings are here in the registry:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\JRiver\Media Center 27\Zone Presets

What would import / export do that the save / load doesn't already do?

Thanks.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

wer

What would import / export do that the save / load doesn't already do?

Let you move presets to another computer, or share them with someone else.

mattkhan

• MC Beta Team

Using a format that is easy for other applications to generate is also important, common use case is using some other filter design tool after all.

The other key point is the lack of a partial load. Save/load is scoped to the DSP studio as a whole as far as I recall which is not useful at all in my experience.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!

Let you move presets to another computer, or share them with someone else.

Alright, you talked me into it!

It'll take me a bit, but hopefully next build will have save and load of a preset to a file.

Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

terrym@tassie

• MC Beta Team
  • Galactic Citizen

Matt, sorry to be an 'Oliver Twist-Can I have some more, please?' but an API to generate PEQ entries would be really nice.

I have been looking at the request above in this thread to import REW generated filters to MC filters.
I have a working solution but it involves a 'horrible hack' to manipulate the PEQ XML strings in the registry presets (and is a Windows only solution).

If there were either MCWS or core commands to set the values in the PEQ of Slope, Gain, Filter type and Q then this could create the opportunity for folks to create some useful 'helper apps' for MC using the excellent filter engine you have created.

Terry

mattkhan

• MC Beta Team

Matt, sorry to be an 'Oliver Twist-Can I have some more, please?' but an API to generate PEQ entries would be really nice.

Some discussion around the previous request for this in https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/topic,124236.0.html
Pages: [1]   Go Up