INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Tagging problems  (Read 2090 times)

Chadwigg

Tagging problems
« on: October 24, 2011, 01:58:17 pm »

I apologize if this is answered elsewhere; couldn't find it if it is.

On MC 16, I have multiple artists showing two entries, even though their tag entries are exactly the same. Some won't allow me to change the spelling of a name, e.g., addling the umlaut to Bjork's name, even if I copy and paste the correct format.  Another, related, problem is that certain artist's have albums showing up in other areas, or listing the artist's name as [varies]. It seems that there is some sort of embedded "master tag" that won't allow these files to go join their friends no matter how I tag them.  I never had this problem with MC 15, but it's driving me nuts.

I'd really appreciate any help.  Thanks.

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • The Cosmic Bird
Re: Tagging problems
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2011, 02:17:09 pm »

Check also the Album Artist tag. Some default views are set to show the Album Artist (auto) field even though the displayed header is simply "Artist" (I think this was made to lessen confusion, but in some cases the effect may be the opposite).

Album Artist (auto) gets its value automatically as the name implies. For "single artist" albums it is the same as the Artist value, but if the album has various artists the automatic value is (Multiple Artists). In any case a value in the separate Album Artist field overrides the automatic value and the Album Artist (auto) field shows the Album Artist value.

You can display all thee "artist" columns side by side in a list view for inspecting the tag values.

Still confused with all these artist tags? Here is a link to an old thread that might help: http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=59513.msg402038#msg402038 , Topic: Album Artist (auto)/Album (need basic explanation)
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

Chadwigg

Re: Tagging problems
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2011, 02:49:14 pm »

Yes, that would be the problem. I haven't needed more tags than the default tagging window provides, and didn't realize that I could expand it. I've gone through and resolved some of the more glaring issues, and so far so good.  Thanks!
Pages: [1]   Go Up