INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: transferring only part of a library  (Read 1982 times)

Z0001

• Citizen of the Universe
transferring only part of a library
« on: November 04, 2011, 04:02:42 am »

Hi

I have my audio on MC15 and my video on MC16, and I now want to transfer my audio library to MC16 without losing all the video tagging I have done. How do I go about this? Is it as simple as doing a library backup in MC15 and then restoring my MC16 library from this backup? or will that delete all my tagged video in MC16? Its a funny setup that arose because I was hesitant on using MC16 in early days because we relied on reliable MC15 for audio, and just never got around to it, but now I'm comfortable with MC16 I want to consolidate everything there.

Really appreciate any help
Zeno

Z0001

Re: transferring only part of a library
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2011, 05:34:30 am »

Anyone?

Lasse_Lus

« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2011, 05:59:34 am »

you can't merge libraries..but you can merge the data...if you want to keep your video library as it is and also include your audio..then

1) export all audio files from MC 15 lib to an .mpl file
2) if you have custom fields in your audio lib you have to recreate those in the "video lib"
  • if you have a lot of views in you audio lib, you can export them and import them into video lib
  • playlists can be exported and then imported
  • smartlists can be exported to textfiles and then recreated

3) then import your (audio) .mpl file into your video lib twice to keep "date imported" intact

you may also want to move your audio coverart to the new location, if you have external image files

FIRST, make backups and maybe a test library so you see what happens..

GL
MT5FR

Z0001

« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2011, 06:37:11 am »

Thanks. Is this .mpl file just a database file? I guess I need to import the actual audio first and then do this .mpl process so there is something to point the tags to?

Lasse_Lus

« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2011, 06:45:59 am »

Is this .mpl file just a database file?

nope, it's a (xml, somewhat similair to a csv) export file containing your files tags/data

I guess I need to import the actual audio first and then do this .mpl process so there is something to point the tags to?

if you have not changed the physical location of your audiofiles, there is no need of that..in the mpl file you see the filename and where it's pointing..you can open it up in a texteditor
MT5FR

Lasse_Lus

« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2011, 06:48:44 am »

...and maybe a test library so you see what happens..

always the best thing to to first if you are not familiar with the process, create a new lib called test, restore you video lib..then follow the above instructions
MT5FR

Z0001

« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2011, 09:54:25 pm »

Wonderful! It's worked a treat! Music library imported from MC 15 to 16 without affecting existing MC16 library items. Thanks very much for your advice.
Pages: [1]   Go Up