INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Alphabetization---Please Help-about to rip a bunch of cd's!  (Read 959 times)

Robert Nesta

• Recent member
  • racing sailboats, surfing, fishing

I'm about to rip a bunch of cds.  How do you gurus out there handle alphabetizing music??

I want it to be organized like I would on my shelf, by artist.  I'd like to have The Cult under C,  and Bob Marley under M. I started to rip some tracks from Abbey Road and edited the artist name to Beatles, The.  I noticed later that when i clicked on the Artist Info, I had to choose The Beatles to get the page.  Is my alphabetization scheme going to affect anything else?
Also, if i change my mind later, is it relatively easy to do mass edits to the database, rename files, etc??
Thanks in advance for any help...

Listening to: 'Post Modern Sleaze' from 'Becoming X' by 'Sneaker Pimps' on Media Jukebox

RhinoBanga

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Developer
RE:Alphabetization---Please Help-about to rip a bunch of cd's!
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2002, 12:41:04 pm »

Robert,

I was having a think about this and it's something I could add relatively easily to album view.

For example if you just burn and tag as normal I could enhance the overview screen to have an "alphabetized" view where I could strip off the word "The" from the beginning of an artist.   For example "The Who" which is currently found via T would be found be found under W.   The only real issue would be where artists are using their names.   For example "Mike Oldfield" you would want under O.

Since this situation is something that AV can't automagically handle I could provide a facility where you give AV a file that contains a list of forenames and if an artist contains one of these forenames then it is stripped before loaded into the overview screen.   So in my example you would point AV to a file that contained the word Mike and it would then file all Mike Oldfield albums under O.

Would that help you?

Robert Nesta

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2002, 10:42:48 am »

rhino,
yes, that would definitely help.
I was really thinking more of a core MJ component (maybe an additional field in the database?), not something you would have to build into AV.
It would probably need to be specified by a set of rules, and by individual overrides in situations when you have a band named 'The The' or something.
thanks for the reply
nesta

Listening to: 'Easy Skanking' from 'Kaya - The Definitive Remasters' by 'Bob Marley and The Wailers' on Media Jukebox

Lestrade

« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2002, 12:04:31 pm »

I have a suggestion Rhino.

Have you seen how the Outlook Contact database works? Well, I don't like Outlook much, but they did one thing cool -- they have a field in each entry called "File As". Basically it's a drop down list of possible choices to alphabetize the entry. For example, with "The Beatles", you'd might get the choices of "Beatles, The" and "The Beatles". Outlook also lets you add the company name, but you get the idea.

dwex

• World Citizen
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2002, 12:23:52 pm »

I also want this capability in MJ, and it should apply to artists, album titles, and track titles. Only artists need the last-name-first stuff, but all titles should ignore leading a/an/the in sorting...

--dwex

Bob L.

« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2002, 04:23:33 pm »

A big yes vote from me on this one.  

To the wizards at JRiver, would this be hard to do?  And to apply to an existing library?

Yours in anticipation,

Bob L.

Robert Nesta

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2002, 06:53:41 am »

The big question of my original post is:
How difficult is it to change names after ripping? (en masse)
If I rip a bunch of stuff as 'The Beatles', and later want to change all my tracks, etc to 'Beatles, The'??
I guess i could do all the re-naming, then re-import??
Keep in mind that i'm new to MJ and might be missing something obvious to you experienced users...
I just want to start ripping a bunch of cd's this weekend...
jah
nesta

Listening to: 'Deacon Blues' from 'AJA' by 'Steely Dan' on Media Jukebox

claudio

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2002, 10:30:01 am »

Hi Robert,

changing name as you indicate "en masse" is quite simple. Select all the files, than right click Proprieties, and then you can change all the tags either manually, or in a few other ways. Save it back and you are done.

Explore the Proprieties screen and you'll see that there are several very powerful way to handle renaming-retagging etc

Claudio
Pages: [1]   Go Up