INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: The "library" concept when connecting to Library Server as a client  (Read 3352 times)

Vocalpoint

• Citizen of the Universe

So - I am currently experimenting with Library Server and while it has it's plusses...I am finding a number of frustrating things that I hope someone can set me straight on.

1. What is the point of the whole concept of "libraries" within MC when one connects to a "server" library via Library Server?

When I attempted this yesterday - the connection went fine and I was able to see and play the library - and I was under the assumption that if the "Library" server creates a new entry under Library Manager (which it does) it should have it's own unique attributes - or at least "inherit" those of the library being served. But no - when I reached out and connected to the Library spotted via File->Library->Searhc for Library Servers....after a few seconds - Media Center then started IMPORTING everything I had sitting on M:\Music - because that's what was present under Tools->Import->Auto Import.

Now - this directory IS the main target area for my OTHER local library - but why is that path being "introduced" as an Auto Import path into what should be a separate library entity with Library Server?

In my case - since I was testing Library Server with a copy of my local library - after this crap started grinding away - I ended up with a copy of a library with 8000 "dupe" tracks.

Call me crazy - but when a Library Server "library" or location is loaded - shouldn't Media Center all but blank out ALL paths from doing anything locally? I assumed that a MC client instance should act like a "read only" client and not be able to set any paths or do anything in terms of media addition...since the library being server is all that matters.

Essentially - if a library server library has one track in it...as a client -I should be able to connect to that library, see and get one track and ONLY one track and ALL options under Tools that pertain to that "served" library - especially things like File Location and Auto Import should be deactivated and removed from view or at least greyed out. All those key attributes should apply only to the instance of MC that is serving the library...so when I prep an album (tags, ratings) etc and copy it out to the Music Share - the copy of MC on the Server should do the work and refresh the served library accordingly. Which brings me to my next beef...

2. While testing - I am seeing a PITA message every so often that says - Library has changed. Do you want to reload?

What the heck is this? In the testing - when in the "served" library - I am trying things like updating tags, adjusting ratings and so forth and then clicking Library Sync. Sometimes this works...other times I get the message. And if a song is playing and I click Yes on that Message...the song stops...MC stutters and burps while it's presumably trying to "re-serve" the new "changes" and basically my listening is ruined.

I was under the impression that any simple changes - like a tag update or a rating change (as long as the file target is static) would happen instantly and not disrupt the flow. But larger scale things like adding new music to the library? Is that was this message is about? Does this mean that if Library Server is "serving" and I have \\SERVER\Music set as an Auto import location on the server copy of MC and then copy a folder of tracks to the share....the auto import happens but then tells all the clients that the library has changed - do ya wanna reload?

If that's the case - this will never fly here. I am better off just updating my own local library and then copying that around to the workstations at regular intervals.

Appreciate any insight as to how this was thought out...

Cheers!

VP

melkiades

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
Re: The "library" concept when connecting to Library Server as a client
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2011, 11:16:27 pm »

Hi there,

I see here another unanswered thread here and one that should have gotten attention.  JRiver's customer-service-through-a-forum is really a failure at so many levels.

melkiades
Pages: [1]   Go Up