INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: iPod support MC17?  (Read 9408 times)

duesy

• World Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
iPod support MC17?
« on: November 11, 2011, 09:32:30 am »

Will MC 17 support latest versions iPod? To my amazement, I just discovered that my newly acquired 6th Gen Nano won't work with MC15, so I upgraded to 16 and still getting error messages. Please advise, thanks.

Lasse_Lus

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: iPod support MC17?
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2011, 09:47:01 am »

apple changed the database key from firmware 2.0, so the ipods that works with MC has to be lower or equal to 1.4, you can read abot it in the ipod board
MT5FR

duesy

• World Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2011, 09:54:19 am »

I did check out that area of the forum. However, once an iPod's firmware is upgraded beyond 1.4, can it be reversed (or in the case of new gen iPods, modified back) to firmware compatible with MC?

Lasse_Lus

« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2011, 09:59:03 am »

can it be reversed (or in the case of new gen iPods, modified back) to firmware compatible with MC?

you have to check apple forum to do that, but with new ipods, i doubt that you can go back..
MT5FR

duesy

• World Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2011, 11:36:59 am »

After reading other forum postings, it seems that MC is not supporting new versions of the most popular mobile player on the planet? In my humble opinion, I'd suggest that MC reconsider future investments in nonessential apps and focus entirely on ensuring MC is the most capable and comprehensive AUDIO player on the market! Lack of iPod support is a death sentence for MC and its customers!

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2011, 01:01:03 pm »

Lack of iPod support is a death sentence for MC and its customers!

I've been dying for a number of years and didn't even know it!

BartMan01

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2011, 01:27:18 pm »

After reading other forum postings, it seems that MC is not supporting new versions of the most popular mobile player on the planet? In my humble opinion, I'd suggest that MC reconsider future investments in nonessential apps and focus entirely on ensuring MC is the most capable and comprehensive AUDIO player on the market! Lack of iPod support is a death sentence for MC and its customers!

Sorry, but this NOT an MC issue, it is an Apple issue.  Apple is the one locking down their devices and refusing to allow third parties access to sync data directly to them.  The only Apple supported method for getting data on your i-device is iTunes.  JRiver tried very hard for years to keep working around Apple's lock outs before they finally decided the cost of doing so was greater than the cost of not doing so (there is only so much software development budget available at any given time).

If you want to get your MC library on your Apple device, I suggest you check out MC iTunes Syncronizer as a tool to keep an iTunes and MC library in sync.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2011, 01:29:46 pm »

IF Apple were open, we would support iPods.  We put a lot money into support that they broke, and I'm not eager to do it again.

Oddly, not supporting new ipods hasn't affected our business.  It's been steadily better.

So you have a couple of choices.

1.  Use iTunes
2.  Buy a different device.   Android based phones are great.

duesy

• World Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2011, 03:35:56 pm »

After investing in MC for ten years, successfully using MC to sync five iPods (earlier generation) for family members, purchasing three hardwired iPod car connectors and a half dozen iPod home docking stations, and, like many MC users, having a disdain for iTunes... you're basically telling me that my rather sizable investment is now obsolete. Switching to a droid player or going with iTunes is not a game plan. MC gets fatter with each release, much that includes app's unrelated to a superior audio experience. If you must resort to pointing the finger at Apple rather than hunkering down with clever engineering to support the world's dominant mp3 player then it's only a question of time before many of us who were drawn to the fundamentals of MC are indeed forced to move on.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2011, 04:26:27 pm »

We spent on the order of $100,000 to be one of the first companies to support the iPods.  After the first few generations, Apple made that investment useless.

I'm not eager to help Apple sell more iPods.  This has been the status for about three years.

I'm sorry you didn't know.

audunth

« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2011, 06:46:12 am »

I HATE companies like Apple and I hope locking their devices like this helps all other companies sell more of their players. Stuff like this is the main reason I've never bought an Apple product in my life, and I probably never will.

I'm sorry for all of you with iPods that don't work with MC, but it's Apple who screwed you over, not JRiver.
Cheers,
Audun

My system:
ASUS  P8Z68 V-PRO/GEN3, 8GB RAM, Core i5-2500K
EVGA Nvidia GTX 970 SSC, 4GB RAM
Antec P180 case w/Seasonic X460 fanless PSU, water cooled by Zalman Reserator 1+ w/extra DDC pump
Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit
Sony VPL-HW30ES 3D projector
Yamaha RX-V3900 receiver and custom built 2Ch power amp for front/stereo speakers
Klipsch Reference/SVS 7.1 speaker system
Always running the latest available version of MC

Magic_Randy

• MC Beta Team
  • I used to be indecisive, but now I'm not so sure..
« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2011, 08:49:50 am »

Will MC 17 support latest versions iPod? To my amazement, I just discovered that my newly acquired 6th Gen Nano won't work with MC15, so I upgraded to 16 and still getting error messages. Please advise, thanks.
I use MC for everything except syncing my apple devices (iPods, iPhones, iPads..).  I use    MC iTunes Synchronizer (MCiS) listed in the Third Party Plug-ins, Programs, and Skins section to sync my MC data with iTunes so I can use iTunes for the device syncing.
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=51734.0

PollyQ

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2011, 09:39:29 pm »

check out MC iTunes Syncronizer as a tool to keep an iTunes and MC library in sync.
So, does this work with MC17 and iTunes 10.5?

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2011, 06:52:34 am »

Please use the thread for M2is.

Severian

• Junior Woodchuck
  • Data Stylist
« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2011, 07:12:05 pm »

I find myself sharing duesy's feeling.  I'd like to take a few minutes to explain my own customer case in the hopes that you might A) find it helpful and B) perhaps reshuffle or reword some information you're currently putting out to avoid situations like duesy's and mine.

A quick lookup of yours on my forum login and account will reveal to you just how long I've been buying MC, and MJ before that. I stopped using MC for a few years because, after having converted and cataloged my collection, I found that what I needed was not more cataloging and organizing and ripping. What I needed was software that was going to be good at changing the contents of my handheld, particularly when that handheld's capacity was smaller than the size of the collection.

MC was great at what it did back in the day(the early 2000s), producing and organizing my entire 500+  physical CD collection as digital. But the world changed. More and more it became about the handheld, and playing music through my PC didn't matter as much anymore--neither did ripping or burning discs. A lot of what I considered that MC was really good at didn't matter much anymore.

I made the mistake, if you will, of throwing my lot in with the Zune player, and owned just about every version of it right up until it got discontinued recently. Regardless of how you personally may feel about MS and Zune, I thought it was a great device, and was sad to see it go. I felt it was the better player than the iPod, and until it got discontinued I really didn't regret that decision.

So I went away from being a regular MC user and upgrader because MC couldn't sync to the Zune. And the same reason was given then as you're giving here now--the evil company's sync software is proprietary and they won't allow us to sync to their device, go beg them to let us. And that was fine, no hard feelings; I'm a .NET dev myself and I get it (which is one of the reasons I'm heavily invested in MS devices).

I kept hoping that things would change, though; I occasionally came back here to check if anything had. But in the main, I became a Zune software user--and still am, because I'm still a Zune Pass subscriber, and I'm still drinking that kool-aid through the use of an Xbox and a Windows Phone.

It eventually got to the point where I just didn't even reinstall MC, because the world has changed to the point where buying and ripping discs isn't the main channel by which I acquire owned music anymore. MC could neither manage nor sync my subscribed music in the ways that I needed it to.

However, with the death of the physical Zune standalone player, after weeks of contemplation I decided to go back into iPod-land. And one of the reasons that i did was, and I can't emphasize this point enough, I told myself that as much as I hate iTunes, it's going to be OK because I know that I can use MC to sync the device.

So, you can imagine my surprise when, after buying my new 64GB iPod touch today, and immediately, instinctively, reflexively also dropping $50 on you this same day for an accessory purchase of a shiny new MC license because I had that much faith in it--that no, MC now in fact does NOT sync to THE FLAGSHIP LATEST MODELS OF IPOD.

Jim, I get it. I get that you were burned by them; I get that it's a nightmare to try to do and provide; I get that you're not in any way anxious for a repeat of the experience; I get that your business continues to grow despite it. And I equally get that a whole forum full of whinging about it isn't going to change the situation either, whether that whinging happens at Apple or JRiver.

But what you need to change is your very public statement that MC does sync to iPod--this statement is, in fact, on the very opening page of MC. "Upload to iPods and Windows Media PlaysForSure Devices". You need to stop saying that because it is only technically true at best, and at worst it's totally deceptive. It uploads to SOME, OLDER iPods at this point. It does not upload to iPods across the board as a flat statement. That is a lie.

And, in fact, discovering that it doesn't sync to the newer iPods was quite an adventure. The first "notice" that you get is from clicking on the "iPod setup" link in the main window after clicking on the Drives and Devices node, which resolves to this poorly-worded and formatted wiki page: http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Sync, as you know. Poorly worded because it at best waffles on the issue as well with its asterisked disclaimer. "may not be supported", "contact Apple", indeed.

Furthermore, to get the real story one has to delve into these forums, which I only know how to do because I'm a previous and longtime registrant. I seriously doubt a newb would get here anytime soon.

And the real story is, I'm sad to say, found in the form of a lot of snippy and poorly spelled statements from you and from devs, of which this thread is only one example. It's a good thing you're running this company, Jim, because if you were a support professional at MY company who said things like "Use Rockbox", "Contact Apple and complain to them", and other such responses as I've read out of you here...that support professional would be out of a job instantly.

Jim, I may indeed contact Apple to tell them for the umpteenth time what proprietary boobs they are, but I'm contacting YOU right here and now to tell you your software isn't doing what you're advertising it to do. So as a dev I don't have any illusions about getting the software to do that because I understand the issues, but as a consumer, I'm more than a little annoyed about the deceptive advertising. That I would ask you to stop, because it's in your best interest to do so.

I feel I have solid grounds to ask for a refund of today's purchase of MC due to all of the above, but I'm not going to ask that. You got me, my bad, lesson learned, you get to keep my money. Don't go spending it all in one place, now. And MC's still got enough occasional value to where I can still rationalize that it was OK that I spent that money. The money just didn't go toward the uses I expected it to.

However, not only will you not ever be getting any more of my favorite dollars, you won't be getting my endorsement for MC, which I used to hand out like candy. I've recommended you countless times over the years. Just last week I responded to a Facebook-posted question looking for alternatives to iTunes to use to sync up an iPod. And I of course pointed them at you, not knowing at the time that I was sending them (and whoever read that post) to get burned like I just got.

That annoys me to no end. I feel like I should apologize to the guy. I might just.

This kind of practice is hurting you--the deceptive wording, the bad help system, the poor forum responses. I would urge you not to underestimate how much it's hurting you. It's hurting you not in the growth and fandom that you see but the growth and fandom that you both don't and won't.

I'm now headed off to explore MediaMonkey to see whether or not THEY are playing word-games with their iPod support like you are, or whether I really am stuck with iTunes.

Thanks for listening. I hope you're able to see the constructive suggestions where they're made here, because I really did love your product back in the day and I really wanted you succeed. I'm still on your spam lists for announcements of your latest MC versions. I'll continue to read them when I get them, but unless you fix these matters, I won't be back. Fool me once, shame on you and so forth.
Severian

pcstockton

« Reply #15 on: December 18, 2011, 07:19:26 pm »

After investing in MC for ten years, successfully using MC to sync five iPods (earlier generation) for family members, purchasing three hardwired iPod car connectors and a half dozen iPod home docking stations, and, like many MC users, having a disdain for iTunes... you're basically telling me that my rather sizable investment is now obsolete. Switching to a droid player or going with iTunes is not a game plan. MC gets fatter with each release, much that includes app's unrelated to a superior audio experience. If you must resort to pointing the finger at Apple rather than hunkering down with clever engineering to support the world's dominant mp3 player then it's only a question of time before many of us who were drawn to the fundamentals of MC are indeed forced to move on.

Ooooooooo.  Threats of leaving MC...  That's how you get a feature implemented  ::)

What is the big problem with using iTunes solely for loading up your iPods?

Regarding your last point, what are you going to move onto?  iTunes?
HTPC (ASRock Mini PC 252B: i5 2520M Sandy Bridge/HD3000 - 2.5 GHz - 8GB RAM - 256GB Intel SSD - Win7 Home) > MF V-Link 192 > Wireworld Ultraviolet > Naim DAC > Naim NAC 102/NAPSC/HiCap (PSU) > Naim NAP 180 Amp > Naim NACA-5 Speaker Cables > Naim Ariva

jeh14

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2012, 02:45:29 am »

I came here via a search for info on tag mapping. I just have to say though.. this is typical Apple and I don't blame JRiver a bit for their decision. Just another brick in the Apple garden wall.

sunfire7

« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2012, 12:01:48 am »

I really think the export to itunes feature it's great and have a lot of potential, actually I have been using it since last months without major issues.  It only needs some refinements and improvements.  JRiver please work on export to itunes feature!
Happy licensed MC 15-19 User :)
Mac version early bird
My english is not perfect! My native lang is spanish

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2012, 06:29:49 am »

I really think the export to itunes feature it's great and have a lot of potential, actually I have been using it since last months without major issues.  It only needs some refinements and improvements.  JRiver please work on export to itunes feature!
What's missing?

sunfire7

« Reply #19 on: January 18, 2012, 11:26:21 am »

Thank you for your response Jim, here are my thoughts of what needs to be done:

* Support for lossless files:
An option to export lossless files "As is" or use stacked mp3's (if stack doesn't exist, could be created in the air, just as handheld).
* Option to send a group of playlist in the same process
* Automatic export without user interaction and in the background (this would be great, together with the ios5's automatic wifi feature)

What I'm basically asking, is to convert "export to itunes" feature in something similar in interface and options to sync to handheld.  I know it's not a simple job and that there are more important things in JRiver scope, but if done right would be a huge thing for the average user (like my girlfriend and some of my friends) who doesn't use MC because its not compatible with apple's devices.

If you need testing I'm here to test  :)
Mac version early bird

ToGr

• Recent member
« Reply #20 on: January 28, 2012, 03:10:38 am »

I've been using MC since 2006. At that time I had bought a brand new Ipod Nano 1st generation. I found out that  iTunes sucked. Yet I still needed to manage my music for my, at that time. I have used and loved MC ever since.

Recently Apple has recalled the Ipod Nano 1GEN, a product almost six years old, because of battery issues and replaced them with a latest model. It must have cost them a lot of money but that is what excellent custom care is all about. Now I find out my MC17 is almost useless.
I read that you, Jim, are very hesitant in trying to figure out how to support it in MC. You state Apple turned your $100.000 investment useless. But what about *MY* investment? As your customer I have purchased over the years many upgrades of MC, totalling to $150 or maybe more. Apple exceeded my expectations with their recall action. I expect you to care for us. Don't condemn your loyal customers to iTunes. You have a moral obligation to them.

For now I am condemned to iTunes. As soon as MC supports my iPod I will come back. Till then: farewell.

Ton.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: January 28, 2012, 07:30:14 am »

Sorry, Ton.  I hope you enjoy iTunes.

pcstockton

« Reply #22 on: January 28, 2012, 01:18:50 pm »

Ooooooooo.  Threats of leaving MC...  That's how you get a feature implemented  ::)

What is the big problem with using iTunes solely for loading up your iPods?

Regarding your last point, what are you going to move onto?  iTunes?

Ill say it all again.
HTPC (ASRock Mini PC 252B: i5 2520M Sandy Bridge/HD3000 - 2.5 GHz - 8GB RAM - 256GB Intel SSD - Win7 Home) > MF V-Link 192 > Wireworld Ultraviolet > Naim DAC > Naim NAC 102/NAPSC/HiCap (PSU) > Naim NAP 180 Amp > Naim NACA-5 Speaker Cables > Naim Ariva

sunfire7

« Reply #23 on: February 02, 2012, 03:22:58 am »

Jim, did you read my post about suggested improvements to export to itunes feature?
Mac version early bird

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #24 on: February 02, 2012, 06:46:10 am »

I read pretty much everything.  I don't always reply.

kaczor47

• Recent member
« Reply #25 on: February 05, 2012, 04:24:49 pm »

Hi,

I find myself in the same situation as Ton, in that my wife just got the latest generation iPod Nano as a result of the recall. While I will continue to use MC+XBMC as the main setup for audio and video, I find it disappointing that I must install iTunes (which I greatly dislike) just so that my wife can manage the music on the Nano. I hope JimH et al reconsider  and that iPod support returns to MC.

Cheers,
Pawel

Bill Kearney

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #26 on: February 15, 2012, 08:39:12 pm »

You do realize the problem here is Apple's deliberate decision and effort to make sure that iTunes is the only way to setup and manage newer iDevices.  It's not a matter for 3rd parties to correct as Apple chooses to prevent their efforts.  If you want to complain, complain to Apple.  But much like their choice to go with chinese slave labor, they clearly do not care about what users want.  They want users to do it their way, screw everyone else.

ToGr

• Recent member
« Reply #27 on: February 16, 2012, 10:16:36 am »

Sorry, Ton.  I hope you enjoy iTunes.
As much as I would enjoy spending summer holidays with the Taliban  ;)

CahuamoJGA

« Reply #28 on: September 25, 2012, 12:08:18 pm »

I just bought an iPod Nano 6Th 16GB to use it as watch and listen to music while excercising. I've foend a solution to sync my favorite playlists. It works just fine!

Media Monkey 4.0.6.1501 FREE! can read perfectly both: MC Playlists and iPod Nano. And make the sync troubleless. Regards!

http://www.mediamonkey.com/   
Pages: [1]   Go Up