INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 24p playback - what do you need in a monitor?  (Read 3039 times)

stottle

• Junior Woodchuck
24p playback - what do you need in a monitor?
« on: November 15, 2011, 06:59:37 pm »

I've got a 32" phillips 1080p tv that I've been using as a monitor.  It just died.  When playing back blu-ray rips, I often notice jerkiness in the motion.  My guess is that this is the 3:2 correction from 24 hz to the screens 60 hz native refresh rate.  I've read that a lot of people don't see this, but I'm not sure what else it could be.

So I'd like to get a monitor that will work better with 24p content, but not break the bank.

I'm pretty sure 120Hz would be fine (since 24 goes evenly into 120, but not 60), but those are expensive.  Would a 27" monitor that supports 72 hz vsync work?

Anyone have any 24p success stories or recommendations?  I'm really not sure what to look for and would appreciate some advice.

Thanks!

jmone

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • I won! I won!
Re: 24p playback - what do you need in a monitor?
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2011, 01:55:03 pm »

Ideally you just want a monitor that supports 24, 50, and 60hz then use MC to automatically swith between these refresh rates pending of the frame rate of these.  (72hz as a multiple of 24hz may also be OK)
JRiver CEO Elect

mbagge

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2011, 02:56:13 pm »

I did this setting in the Tools, Options, Video, Display Settings section.
When playing a video that has the FPS tag set correctly, the "automatic display setting changer" switches to the native resolution with a refreshrate of 24Hz that I configured.
Then the video plays smoothly and enjoyable.

jmone

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2011, 03:03:52 pm »

It works really well but like the OP on one PC my monitor only support 50 and 60, so for 24hz you are best to set it to 60 and live with 3:2 Pulldown or get a better monitor.
JRiver CEO Elect
Pages: [1]   Go Up