INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Bluray/DVD streaming issue - The data is corrupt  (Read 2460 times)

jdewoody

• Recent member
Bluray/DVD streaming issue - The data is corrupt
« on: November 19, 2011, 05:13:18 pm »

I searched the forum and didn't find this addressed anywhere.

For convenient viewing, I've ripped a few blurays and several DVDs. They all play on my PC fine by dragging/dropping them into NeroShowTime. However, with my TV, I try watching them via PS3 since its the only DLNA device I have. Sometimes they play, most of the time they do not. When they do not, I get the error "The Data Is Corrput". How can I fix this issue?

Thanks,
Jamie

jdewoody

• Recent member
Re: Bluray/DVD streaming issue - The data is corrupt
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2011, 12:41:43 pm »

Bump

Hendrik

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2011, 12:44:25 pm »

Its been just a few hours on a Sunday, be patient and I am sure someone will answer.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2011, 12:52:06 pm »

jdewoody

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2011, 01:17:49 pm »

This might help:
http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/PS3

Thanks for the quick response Jim. None of that information was directly related to my issue. From what I read, it was mostly basic PS3 and DLNA info. I even followed two threads that came from that link.

I've noticed that this problem has become progressively worse with the last 3 versions of Media Center. It worked fine when introduced in 14 but I was only streaming AVI & DVDs then. In 15 it started, got worse with 16 and with 17 it's the worst it's been. This is a fresh install of both Windows and MC so I'm almost 100% positive a reinstall would not be the answer. I just upgraded media PCs because I thought it might be that the old PC was a Pentium IV but it doesn't seem to have helped, plus I had a chance to upgrade for free and couldn't pass ;D. I'm wired with Cat 6, so I know it's not due to streaming over wireless. As I stated before, I use Nero ShowTime 3 on my main PC and it will play all of them without hesitation. Since "The Data Is Corrupt" doesn't tell my why the play failed, I'm not sure which direction to go and find it truly baffling when it's videos that have played before.

All the DVD files are ifo/vob/bup and the BR are mkv. It does play AVI & MP4 files fine. MP3s have always streamed without issue.

Thanks again for the help,
Jamie

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2011, 01:22:59 pm »

I thought you were trying to play on a PS3.  Please describe exactly what you have and how you try to play it.

jdewoody

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2011, 01:45:08 pm »

I'm not sure why I confused you but I apologize. I was just elaborating on what was stated in my original post.

I am streaming from a PC to PS3 via DLNA. I have 2 different computers - one is the MC PC, one my regular desktop. The regular desktop can access the videos and play them fine via Nero. The issues is when I stream the same files to PS3 from the MC PC. Hope that helps. I thought maybe if I told you that Nero will open them across the network from the same MC PC it would help. Maybe not since MC is streaming them to a device and Nero is playing them directly. 

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2011, 01:46:49 pm »

On the Media Network board, please take a look at Bob's comments on PS3.

Conversion settings may matter.

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2011, 01:52:35 pm »

Actually, MC's stream is much better than it has ever been.  To stream to the PS/3 make sure you:
1) Tools--> Options--> Media Network--> ... Add or configure DLNA servers --> Add --> Playstation 3
2) When playing from the PS3 make sure you select the Playstation 3 (Not Generic DLNA or other listings from MC).

Enjoy.  FYI - The PS3 only supports a very narrow set of formats for streaming and MKV is not one of them so you need to use the correct transcoding settings as provided by the Playstation 3 settings above.
JRiver CEO Elect

jdewoody

• Recent member
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2011, 03:23:19 pm »

Thanks for the info. I've been using the Playstation 3 settings for DLNA since they added it. However, I didn't know the PS3 didn't support MKV streaming directly and that it had to be converted. I may look into the possibility of another container type and see if that works.

I will tinker and report back if I get it working.

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2011, 03:30:38 pm »

MC will convert it for you on the fly - just check the Playstation 3 DLNA settings to make sure that Convert Video is on and not off (convert if unsupported should be fine).
JRiver CEO Elect
Pages: [1]   Go Up