INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Soundcard audio decoding (Dobly digital and DTS)?  (Read 1709 times)

Mikkel

• Galactic Citizen
Soundcard audio decoding (Dobly digital and DTS)?
« on: November 28, 2011, 02:08:22 am »

Hello everyone (again),

first of all, I apologize for these many questions. JRiver is somewhat too complicated (and straight answers are hard to find in the documentation/wiki/forums) for me. So hope you don't mind being flooded by my many questions.

Now, my question is if JRiver will let my audiocard decode AC3/Dolby Digital and DTS audio-streams?

The audiocard is an Asus Xonar HDAV1.3 Deluxe.

If possible, how can I achieve it?

You may ask why I want this: To reduce heat on my CPU (I use passive cooling).

Best regards,
Mikkel

Mikkel

• Galactic Citizen
Re: Hardware audio decoding (Dobly digital and DTS)
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2011, 02:22:07 am »

I tiny correction:
I'm aware that bitstreaming is possible via HDMI or SPDIF.

What I'm looking at is letting my soundcard decode the multichannel audio (and outputting it via the analog out connections)

Best regards,
Mikkel

mbagge

• Galactic Citizen
Re: Soundcard audio decoding (Dobly digital and DTS)?
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2011, 10:10:50 am »

You have all you need in Tools, Options, Audio.
In there you select what output format on which device you wish to use. Be aware that these settings are zone specific. But if you still use the default zone, that is no problem.

(I have a hard time understanding your reason  :))

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2011, 10:27:15 am »

Media Center allows you to bitstream these formats to an external decoder.  Does the Asus driver accept an AC3, DTS, etc. bitstream and offer to convert it to analog?

However, I wouldn't use that approach even if you could because it'll disable useful signal processing like volume, VideoClock, Room Correction, etc.  Decoding using the CPU doesn't take very much processing power and should provide reference / perfect output, while retaining the ability to do other processing you might want.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

mojave

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Requires "iTunes or better" so I installed JRiver
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2011, 10:37:07 am »

Mikkel, you were already told in this thread that you can't use the hardware decoding of your soundcard. Just let JRiver decode. There won't be any noticeable difference in CPU use or temperature.

Mikkel

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2011, 12:31:49 pm »

Mikkel, you were already told in this thread that you can't use the hardware decoding of your soundcard. Just let JRiver decode. There won't be any noticeable difference in CPU use or temperature.

Hi Mojave,

Thank you for your reply but no, I was told that I could not use the hardware decoding of HD-audio formats.

Since I do benefit hugely from room-correction I'll take the advice on not using the hardware for decoding.

Best regards,
Mikkel

Mikkel

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2011, 01:17:28 pm »

You have all you need in Tools, Options, Audio.
In there you select what output format on which device you wish to use. Be aware that these settings are zone specific. But if you still use the default zone, that is no problem.

(I have a hard time understanding your reason  :))

Hi mbagge,

Haha, yes I can see Matt also challenge me on that one. As mentioned it was to prevent heat building up on the cpu, since I use passive cooling to reduce noise (although using a few case fans to ensure proper air circulation).

But I can understand I would lose room correction, which I use extensively, so Matt (and you) have given me a good reason to keep using software decoding and processing.

Best regards,

Mikkel
Pages: [1]   Go Up