INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MC17 & Stacks (with Handhelds and MCiTS for good measure)  (Read 1112 times)

bspachman

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
MC17 & Stacks (with Handhelds and MCiTS for good measure)
« on: December 02, 2011, 03:51:46 pm »

I apologize in advance for the wall of text. I tried to highlight the biggest problems & questions I've had during this process….

I've nearly finished a project that I've been meaning to do for a long time--consolidate my music library, which for many years has consisted of a hodge-podge of 'master' files and lossy (or lossier) versions. Ever since MJ8, I've been keeping my home playback library in APL/APE files. I do have a couple thousand MP3 and M4A files, as well as a few oddball WAV, AC3, WMA, etc. files. All of these master files have (over the years) been converted into lossy M4A files for use on my now-ancient 3rd Generation iPod, and my slightly-less-ancient iPhone 3GS.

Ever since stacks were introduced with MC12, I wanted to move in that direction. With MC17, I've finally had some time to take the leap. It's been a bit confusing, and I'm still hitting some stumbling blocks…

Because I wanted all of my 'sync-able' files in a separate directory hierarchy, I spent some time moving them to a different directory with "Rename, Move, Copy". I also scoured my library for any other exceptionally high or low bit rate files and converted them into ~128kps AAC/m4a files using the "Convert" tool.

I took a deep breath and activated, "Autostack Files by Artist, Album, Track #, & Name." Everything stacked up fine. Actually, it was a little too aggressive, since my multi-disc sets have APE images with the same filenames and library data, stored in different directories (via Disc #). The multi-disc APE images stacked too (as expected).

REQUEST: It would be great to specify the fields that the Autostack function works with.

Working with the resulting stacks takes a bit of practice. I'm used to using the Rename, Move, Copy tool with impunity, but now I have to remember to expand the stacks if I want to adjust anything (since my lossy files are in a separate directory hierarchy).

QUESTION: Is there a way to make the expand/collapse function more accessible?
REQUEST: Can Stack operation functions be available in all views (including playlists & smartlists) instead of only library views?
REQUEST: As expanded on in another thread, can the R/M/C logic be extended to stacks?

Now I'm at the part where I need some help. I've read a lot of the stack threads and found some very useful information (notably, the ability to search for stacked/unstacked files via [Stack Top]--thanks Marko!) Also, the modifier that allows me to search the library regardless of 'stack-yness' (~d=a or 'Limit Database to')

REQUEST: the ~d=a limiter (or unlimiter) returns EVERYTHING, including deleted files, strange podcast references that have expired, etc. This is as expected. Could a ~d=STACK limiter be created to search only stacked files?

One of my problems is that the smartlist I use to sync with iTunes (via MCiTS) had to be rebuilt. I have a great number of Live albums that I don't want in my iTunes library, and under my old organization method, it was trivial to make a smartlist that found all of the tracks I didn't want synced, then reference that exclusion smartlist in my sync smartlist. Now, since I am using the ~d=a option in my sync list to access the lossy (bottom) members of the stacks, it looks like referencing other playlists fails.

REQUEST: Can playlist criteria be used with database limiting/unlimiting?

I've read through Zxsixs' guide for MCiTS and read jmone's postings (particularly on p.9) in the MCiTS thread, and can't wrap my head around how to make the sync process more simple.

Here's my current Sync Smartlist:
Code: [Select]
[Media Type]=[Audio] [File Type]=[m4a],[mp3] [Bitrate]=<=180 -playlistid==-1003,=405700579 ~d=a ~sort=[Genre],[Album],[Disc #],[Track #]
Note: Playlistid corresponds to my Live Album exclusion smartlist and the built-in MC "Recently Imported" smartlist.

QUESTION: Would I be better served figuring out the AlternativeFileKey option in MCiTS? What about all the handheld options? (FWIW, none of the MC17 options and settings appear to reference stacks or caches any longer (particularly in the handheld settings))

QUESTION: If I start to select my lossy directory base folder as the beginning of a handheld destination, I get the error: "Are you sure you want all the files at this path to be analyzed and managed as a device?" What does this mean?

All advice welcome! Kudos to everyone (anyone?) who made it through all of this! :)

brad

glynor

• MC Beta Team
Re: MC17 & Stacks (with Handhelds and MCiTS for good measure)
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2011, 03:55:08 pm »

REQUEST: It would be great to specify the fields that the Autostack function works with.

YES.  This would make stacking video and image files far less painful.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
Re: MC17 & Stacks (with Handhelds and MCiTS for good measure)
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2012, 12:56:50 am »

My household is going iPhone4s with the exception of myself so I'm also looking at how to refine a simple solution the wife and kids can use without annoying me!  I've not yet settled on which way to go but anyway Brad these ideas may help you.

1) SyncHH.JPG:  This shows the setup of a HandHeld that creates an MP3 Version of my entire Audio Library (mostly FLAC) to a folder called "\\MAIN\Media\MP3Library".  I'm toying with the idea of just having each of their PC's iTunes just point to this folder and let them manage it on their own (would had to add a WatchFolder utility to keep iTunes up to date with any changes to this folder such as http://albumbrowser.klarita.net/itfw.html)

2) SyncView:  This shows a View I have setup that shows all MP3 Versions in MC, including the ones in the STACK but Excludes the ones created for the HH.  You could then use this view with either MCiTS or the MC Native Export to iTunes function.  Alternativly you could build a view that just shows the ones created for the HH (should be the same result)

Unfortunatly the "Build Cache" fuction is long gone else you would not ever need to sync the HH at all and not have yet another version of the tracks on your HDD!
JRiver CEO Elect
Pages: [1]   Go Up