INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Gizmo: Any chance of Replay Gain?  (Read 1189 times)

Vocalpoint

• Citizen of the Universe
Gizmo: Any chance of Replay Gain?
« on: December 08, 2011, 03:48:53 pm »

I asked this back in v16 cycle but got no answer. Using Gizmo with my Samsung Galaxy S is great  - until I decide to load a playlist with track volumes all over the map. I spend more time cranking the volume knob on the phone up, down and sideways than I do listening to the music.....

Comments?

VP

yonkiman

• World Citizen
Re: Gizmo: Any chance of Replay Gain?
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2012, 07:15:18 pm »

JRiver is not interested in supporting ReplayGain in a way that is compatible with most portable devices.  It would be a very, very simple addition to their software (just need to change the names of 2 tags - or add the option to).  I have tried for years (search for yonkiman and ReplayGain) to get them to add support, but it hasn't happened yet.

My only disappointment (but it's a big one) in backing MC for so many years...

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2012, 10:08:28 pm »

@Vocalpoint, it's a good idea with Gizmo.  One little trick is that sometimes there's not quite enough volume on a phone, so anything that might turn lots of songs down could be objectionable.

@yonkiman, please start a thread if you have an issue.  Media Center saves Replay Gain in the standard format for all known tag formats.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

MusicHawk

« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2012, 11:17:08 pm »

For Gizmo (or any remote MC feed) to be useful to me, it must use the entire DSP output chain, so the remote audio is identical to what I'd hear locally from MC.

My DSP chain uses format conversion, ReplayGain, a compressor plug-in, and sometimes an EQ plug-in (or a combo dynamic EQ+compressor). The output of this is "MY MC" sound -- what I want to hear no matter how I'm accessing MC's output.

sometimes there's not quite enough volume on a phone, so anything that might turn lots of songs down could be objectionable.

In my early days with ReplayGain (years ago) I was having this problem, traced it to a few "bad" tracks that were way too loud. I edited the tracks (used an audio editor to "normalize", which seemed to work without detriment). It was definitely better to fix the too-loud tracks rather than have the entire library's average volume dragged down. I found the oddball tracks via a view sorted by ReplayGain.

Managing my media with JRiver since Media Jukebox 8 (maybe earlier), currently use Media Center for Audio/Music and Photos/Videos.
My career in media spans Radio, TV, Print, Photography, Music, Film, Online, Live, Advertising, as producer, director, writer, performer, editor, engineer, executive, owner. An exhausting but amazing ride.

Vocalpoint

« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2012, 08:43:57 am »

@Vocalpoint, it's a good idea with Gizmo.  One little trick is that sometimes there's not quite enough volume on a phone, so anything that might turn lots of songs down could be objectionable.

Matt,

Thanks for the thought - but I do not understand this response. Objectionable to who? If someone doesn't like RG in their feed - they should be able to just turn it off.

Gizmo is totally unusable to me because of this - and also now that I found out it's basically transcoding my lossless tracks to MP3 (Correct me if I am wrong on this)...I may as well just stick with the iPod since I can control the entire environment and volume via replay gain.

VP

yonkiman

• World Citizen
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2012, 09:18:55 am »

@yonkiman, please start a thread if you have an issue.  Media Center saves Replay Gain in the standard format for all known tag formats.

Hi Matt,

It's important enough to me that (when I'm not at my iPad) I'll open up a new thread and try again.  But if you go through the archives you'll see that I've been doing exactly that about once a year since at least 2006.  It would be great if it's working now!

Fred

Pages: [1]   Go Up