INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 ... 20   Go Down

Author Topic: JRemote, a new native iOS remote for JRiver Media Center  (Read 279507 times)

rjm

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: JRemote, a new native iOS remote for JRiver Media Center
« Reply #50 on: December 27, 2011, 12:57:16 am »

Just finished experimenting with iTunes remote and the Apple TV. The killer feature for me is Airplay which permits me to browse an iTunes library with my iPad and then play audio and video on my TV via the Apple TV over a mediocre wireless network.

JRiver is far superior to iTunes so I am hoping to not have to import all of my media into iTunes.

Are you planning to support Airplay in a future version of JRemote?

Lespaul

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #51 on: December 27, 2011, 05:33:04 am »

hdplex, wow, thats some nice work there.
I`ll be sure to use your suggestions as inspiration for future updates. But please be aware that the webservice i use to access information does not provide the whole JRiver Media Center functionality. In some areas its quite limited.

The next version soon ready for the app store will be a small update and includes the following functionality:

- View and add ratings
- Clear current playlist from the play options popup
- Browse, artist and album tab replaced with audio tab

I will now start to work on better iPad specific features starting with a new layout. I have though a lot about this already, and the iTunes remote for iPad seems to be a good source of inspiration.

After that, i will work on cover art browsing.

I do read all your suggestions, and i will try to incorporate everything in future updates, but i feel i need to finish the UI and basic browsing before starting to work on other features.

BillT

• World Citizen
« Reply #52 on: December 28, 2011, 05:24:04 am »

Downloaded this to my ipod touch; although it navigates quite well it crashes when switching to the nowplaying page, which rather renders it useless!

Media centre 17.0.60

8G ipod touch ios 4.2.1

Mishamag

• Recent member
« Reply #53 on: December 28, 2011, 07:49:49 pm »

Downloaded this to my ipod touch; although it navigates quite well it crashes when switching to the nowplaying page, which rather renders it useless!

Same issue on my Ipad. Any ideas?

MC 17.0.60

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #54 on: December 29, 2011, 11:53:07 pm »

I just saw this thread, purchased your app, and am downloading now.  I'm very interested.  Thank you!
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

BrianD

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #55 on: December 30, 2011, 08:14:46 am »

Correct.  When I am in display view the remote allows me to flick up/down & left/right to utilize the ff & rewind volume, change visualisations etc.  All of the buttons (on the ipad remote screen) to go between the main menu items work (I.e. audio, video, playing now etc. but when I get to that location I am stuck and the flick/swipe functionality just simply doesn't move the selection on the TV.  I assume it should.
Bump!

Anyone with similar experiences or suggestions?

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #56 on: December 30, 2011, 09:50:22 am »

I'm a little bummed out.  I bought this app yesterday after excitedly seeing this thread, but I can't use it at all.

I need to add my server using a URL:port format.  I have a real fqdn for my server that works both inside and outside my network, and I don't need JRiver to look up a dynamic IP address for me.  I tried using the Access Key last night to get this app to work, but it kept giving me a connection error (suggesting something about the authentication, but I know the info I was using was correct).

So...  I can't even get it to open.  :(

We really need the ability to add a server using a <IP/FQDN>:<PORT> style in addition to the existing Access Key method, or it will be useless for some users.

pcstockton

« Reply #57 on: December 30, 2011, 07:57:04 pm »

Glynor,

Stupid question but.... do you have authentication enabled in MC Library/Network settings?

-Patrick
HTPC (ASRock Mini PC 252B: i5 2520M Sandy Bridge/HD3000 - 2.5 GHz - 8GB RAM - 256GB Intel SSD - Win7 Home) > MF V-Link 192 > Wireworld Ultraviolet > Naim DAC > Naim NAC 102/NAPSC/HiCap (PSU) > Naim NAP 180 Amp > Naim NACA-5 Speaker Cables > Naim Ariva

pcstockton

« Reply #58 on: December 30, 2011, 08:11:47 pm »

great update.  Cheers!

Curious.... when in Artist view, ALL of the Bands stating with "The" are lumped together before "A".  any thoughts?  this is strange.

Thanks in advance!
Patrick
HTPC (ASRock Mini PC 252B: i5 2520M Sandy Bridge/HD3000 - 2.5 GHz - 8GB RAM - 256GB Intel SSD - Win7 Home) > MF V-Link 192 > Wireworld Ultraviolet > Naim DAC > Naim NAC 102/NAPSC/HiCap (PSU) > Naim NAP 180 Amp > Naim NACA-5 Speaker Cables > Naim Ariva

wickesy

« Reply #59 on: December 31, 2011, 07:59:30 am »

I'm having a similar problem to Glynor in that I can't get the app to connect.  The Access Key is recognised with no problem but authentication fails whether I have authentication enabled or disabled in MC.

If I turn authentication off in MC and leave the credentials boxes blank in JRemote I get - "Found your computer but authentication failed. If you have a username and password, please enter them and try again."

If I turn authentication on and enter the same details in JRemote I get - "Found your computer but authentication failed. Make sure all values are correct".

I've tried on my iPad and iPod Touch and get the same problem on both but I can connect through Gizmo on my Android phone.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #60 on: December 31, 2011, 08:03:25 am »

If you run Media Server, you may have to restart it as well as MC.

Lespaul

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #61 on: January 01, 2012, 08:37:04 am »

Hi guys, the IOS4 crash bug is fixed in the new release, I`m really sorry about that one.
I will try to squeeze in a manual connection option as well, for those having problems with access keys.

A new feature that is also ready is an option to preload all images in a view. You can do this by pulling down and releasing a table.

mantis07

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #62 on: January 01, 2012, 10:30:23 am »

Hi, how do I get JRemote to display bit/sample rate on the now playing screen as shown in the screen shots? I'm using an IPad.

Thanks

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #63 on: January 02, 2012, 11:13:49 am »

Stupid question but.... do you have authentication enabled in MC Library/Network settings?

Yes.  And it works properly with both WebRemote/WebPlay/WebGizmo and using other copies of MC in client mode.

hdplex

• Recent member
« Reply #64 on: January 02, 2012, 11:27:04 am »

Yes.  And it works properly with both WebRemote/WebPlay/WebGizmo and using other copies of MC in client mode.

If I enable both wirelesss and wired connection on my PC, JRemote will show key is confirmed but connection failed. Once I disabled one of the connection and restart, it connects fine.

Hope this helps.

rjm

« Reply #65 on: January 02, 2012, 12:28:50 pm »

Watching developments with much interest and hope. I will buy this the same day that you introduce AirPlay support.

pcstockton

« Reply #66 on: January 02, 2012, 12:54:22 pm »

I was traveling over the holidays and am now able to sit down and play with this app more thoroughly.

A few [unrequested] observations:

- The "T" in the jump letters in "Artist" is placed between the Numerals and "A".   ?
- When using the "mouse pad" in Theater View hitting "Next" only restarts the current track.  But using the real mouse on the same button produces the correct effect.

Feature request.....  Biography View from Last FM or Wikipedia?

Cheers!  Thanks for the great app.

Patrick

InflatableMouse

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #67 on: January 02, 2012, 01:54:45 pm »

Hey,

I'm having a few issues with your app, some of which have already been mentioned.

- Swipe is not working *at all*
- App crashes when switching to playing now
- App shows entries from both the local and remote library. Im connected to a remote library, but Im seeing double entries for tracks that are also in my local (main) library. Preferably give a choice under settings or just show the active library.
- I miss an option to play an artists' entire album, all albums or an entire genre. All i see is play shuffle on all tracks in an album or playlist but I don't want to shuffle.

Features I miss:
- Add to playing now option
- save as playlist/add to existing playlist
- context menu when keeping something pressed down
- Info on items like artist/album, video.

I must be honest, for 10 dollars I expected something a bit more mature.

pcstockton

« Reply #68 on: January 02, 2012, 04:54:49 pm »

- I miss an option to play an artists' entire album, all albums or an entire genre. All i see is play shuffle on all tracks in an album or playlist but I don't want to shuffle.

I also miss being able to right click "play as shuffled", or "play all" in Genres and Artists.
-Patrick

Lespaul

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #69 on: January 02, 2012, 06:11:44 pm »

Thanks for the feedback guys.
Here is the complete description for the next release currently submitted for review. Should be out in a few days.

Added:
- View and add ratings
- Option to register new server by IP address
- Preload all images in a view by pulling down on a table.
- Play options available from all items
- Clear current playlist added to play options

Fixes:
- Mutiple fixes for iOS4

Lespaul

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #70 on: January 02, 2012, 07:27:56 pm »

Feature request.....  Biography View from Last FM or Wikipedia?

Artist bio and album data from Last Fm will be implemented in the next release.

InflatableMouse

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #71 on: January 03, 2012, 12:25:56 am »

Thanks for the quick reply Lespaul.

Features are nice but I would appreciate some feedback on stuff that is not working (see my post above).

Both the swipe and being able to view/manipulate playing now are the main reasons I purchased the app and they are not working for me.

Lespaul

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #72 on: January 03, 2012, 05:40:16 am »

Hi InflatableMouse,

Assuming you are using iOS4, your issues should be resolved in this update, there are a number of fixes there.
If not, please let me know.

pcstockton

« Reply #73 on: January 03, 2012, 06:49:16 pm »

jump letters in artist view are not in order.  "T" occurs before "A"

anyone else?  Is this a "me problem"  or is everyone getting this?

thx in advance,
-patrick

lbstyling

• Recent member
« Reply #74 on: January 04, 2012, 09:14:41 am »

Bought it- love it.

- fast, simple UI.
- logical layout
- my nephew could pick it up and use it without instructions.

changing tracks using jremote seams to do some ramdom stuff to theatre mode on the main screen, it sometimes shows the track being played and the relative album cover, but sometimes it just stays on the into page or plays that horrible graphic that comes up on all players when theres no graphic info available.The Iphone shows the correct info on the screen though.

I tunes like scrolling through album library would be nice, and future development of streaming to the iphone but thats nitpicking!

...update!-
one more thing thats a must- easy option to pause playback when you have a incoming call!! looking for the remote while you pick the call up was funny.

Good job, a must have!

EJR

• World Citizen
« Reply #75 on: January 04, 2012, 04:51:14 pm »

like the app so far.

missing a scroll bar (for moving in the song timeline)  on playing now tho that would be really nice found it :)

also i dont understand the structure in "Browse" tap:

Audio
Media Library
Video
Playlist

then when opening "Media Library"  again is listed Audio and video with same content.

artist tab only shows "video"

when browsing Browse>Audio>Artist  is there away to quickly search for an artist?   jump letters or a search field (preferably both) would be nice

curently using JMC only for audio so only testing part related to that :)

I like that the app is quite fast and layout is nice
it does seem to crash sometimes.

pcstockton

« Reply #76 on: January 04, 2012, 06:15:08 pm »

missing a scroll bar (for moving in the song timeline)  on playing now tho that would be really nice

It is there.  Just like the Remote App.  Single Click the screen and it pops up!

Works perfectly for me!

-Patrick

PS- is ANYONE else not getting their Artist Jump Letters in order?

hdplex

• Recent member
« Reply #77 on: January 04, 2012, 09:33:28 pm »

My Artist Jump Letters is in order on ipad2 with iOS 5.01(MC16).

EJR

• World Citizen
« Reply #78 on: January 05, 2012, 05:36:32 am »

It is there.  Just like the Remote App.  Single Click the screen and it pops up!

Works perfectly for me!

-Patrick

ah found it :D

pcstockton

« Reply #79 on: January 05, 2012, 09:48:05 am »

I like that the app is quite fast and layout is nice
it does seem to crash sometimes.

The crashing might have something to do with your jailbroken phone?

EJR

• World Citizen
« Reply #80 on: January 05, 2012, 03:06:00 pm »

not jailbroken

pcstockton

« Reply #81 on: January 05, 2012, 04:07:12 pm »

not jailbroken

how do you run it on TMobile?

edit:  You are not in the U.S. huh?

rjm

« Reply #82 on: January 05, 2012, 08:14:27 pm »

Bought it because I figured out how to send audio to my stereo via Airfoil and Airport Express.  Still hoping you implement AirPlay in the future with real-time video conversion so I can use MC with my Apple TV.

Initial impression for audio is very positive. Navigation and playing very nice. All audio features appear to work except "All Files" which chokes with empty list (but does not crash) on my 150k audio files.

Initial impression for video is poor. It is impossible to navigate my 22k video files without using Genre/Artist/Album/Name hierarchy. Not a big deal that video is unusable for me because until you implement AirPlay I will not be using it.

Overall happy with my purchase because audio remote control works well and will be very useful.

I do hope you find a way to use our custom views and custom fields in the future.

Thanks for a great app.

dummy

• Recent member
« Reply #83 on: January 06, 2012, 01:32:37 am »

-Patrick

[/quote]

Just downloaded the latest version 1.05

Me too the Jump Letters is a tad weird and not in order. Starts with A, then *\( and such, then 4 THEN 1 (1 should be before 4...) then BCD... It's clever the way It only shows what you have in your library though. No X titles, therefore no X letter. Nice touch.

Same thing with Albums and Artists. With albums, the numbers are all wrong. 13459287... Odd.

1 question for now:

Is It possible to get rid of the ratings? Or not show ratings at all? I looked up in MC and can't see that option. I never rated anything yet I see different ratings now. I guess some people like that but I find those little yellow stars tacky. Especially since I didn't rate anything in the first place.

1 suggestion:

Would be nice to see the bits also in the playing now. Not just the kHz.

One last thing, If I choose All Files, the app crashes every time. I don't know how many albums/files I have but I have at least 1200-1500 albums for sure. I use JRMC15 and iPad 1st gen.

Despite this nit'pick, I still think JRemote rules. Love It.

)p(

« Reply #84 on: January 06, 2012, 01:38:28 am »

Thanks for the feedback guys.
Here is the complete description for the next release currently submitted for review. Should be out in a few days.

Added:
- View and add ratings
- Option to register new server by IP address
- Preload all images in a view by pulling down on a table.
- Play options available from all items
- Clear current playlist added to play options

Fixes:
- Mutiple fixes for iOS4

Now that you replaced browse could we have an images tab? Especially when you add thumbnails browsing jremote will be an awesome way to select photo albums.

One small issue I saw. I have a view that returns my artists in random order. In the new version it does acknowledge the random setting but then orders all artists with the same letter together. So you get something like this:
M
My Bloody Valentine
Minuteman
Mastodon
C
Charlotte Gainsbourg
Chuck Berry
Cat Power

EJR

• World Citizen
« Reply #85 on: January 06, 2012, 03:06:12 am »

great update

a lot 'cleaner' now
im a quick glance seems all of the weird things i had with multiple folders and empty fields are gone

got to say my tho jump letters are not entirely in order,   A, (, 2,

edit:  You are not in the U.S. huh?

Aah now i see where you were coming from, indeed not in the US

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #86 on: January 06, 2012, 09:38:19 am »

edit:  You are not in the U.S. huh?

FYI, since I see this error a lot.  You can run unlocked iPhones on TMobile (even in the US), you are just stuck on EDGE and can't get 3G, because the iPhone doesn't support TMobile's 3G carrier frequencies.  To be clear, unlocked is NOT the same thing as Jailbroken.  You can BUY unlocked phones from Apple, and various jurisdictions require them to sell them (or offer them) unlocked (including Canada).

You can't run a phone "locked" to AT&T on T-Mobile in the US without unlocking the phone first.  This is unsupported, of course, but only messes with the baseband firmware, and still isn't the same thing as a Jailbreak.

Of course, in this case, you were right.  He wasn't in the US, and Apple does sell through TMobile in lots of countries.

pcstockton

« Reply #87 on: January 06, 2012, 10:31:28 am »

Glynor,

I do constantly make the mistake of mixing up "unlocked" and "jailbroken".  And i do know the difference.  My first iPhone was on TMobile with a 3G that was unlocked.  It only lasted a few weeks though as I wasn't getting 3G service nor Visual Voicemail, which is one of my favorite functions.

Somehow I always forget all about that.

Also, the unlocked phone was fairly crashtacular..

Anyway....ignore me.  I think I was hammered when I started that conversation.

Cheers!
Patrick

pcstockton

« Reply #88 on: January 06, 2012, 10:39:48 am »

Regarding Jump Letter Order:

I was getting strange ordering in both iPad and iPhone.  So I tried turning off the "Ignore Articles" option in MC settings.  This fixed the order issue but also then lumped all of the "The" together.  This is OK but I was starting to get used to finding The Cure in "C".

Now after the update I am getting:

A
B
C
D....

One request....

Could you have all numericals in one group, shown as "#"??  I have like 10 artists with numerals to start their name and it is filling up a third of my jump letter space.  Just a thought.

Thanks!!!!!!
Patrick

Lespaul

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #89 on: January 06, 2012, 10:46:57 am »

Thanks for reporting on the weird section order. This will be corrected in the next release.
pstockton, nice suggestion regarding grouping all numbers into #.

BTW, I`m happy to report that cover art browsing will be ready sooner that i thought.
I´m sure this will be the prefered way to navigate for most people.
This will only be available on the iPad version as there really is too little space on the iPhone.

So, the next version will include cover art browsing and Last.FM integration.

PeeBee

• Recent member
« Reply #90 on: January 06, 2012, 12:01:42 pm »

:D Great ! Looking forward to it.........

hdplex

• Recent member
« Reply #91 on: January 06, 2012, 12:38:51 pm »

So, the next version will include cover art browsing and Last.FM integration.

Great news. Really looking forward to this.
BTW, in the future, is it possible to have tree/list like browsing on half of the screen and corresponding  album review/cover art on the other side.
Also, for the rating function. Would it be technically possible to have rating for each individual track besides the whole album?

Mars

• World Citizen
« Reply #92 on: January 06, 2012, 01:20:11 pm »

Hi,

Haven't bought the App yet, so maybe a stupid question: is it able to wake the server when it is suspended (WOL)?

EJR

• World Citizen
« Reply #93 on: January 06, 2012, 01:58:30 pm »

Maybe in a future release  it might be an interesting feature to make the "taskbar" customizable.

so people can set the buttons they would actually use.

e.g. someone using only audio could set audio, albums, artist, and search and  something else.

someone using pictures could add pictures.

basically have people choose what 5 buttons they are most likely to use like in apple remote (where its 4)

cheers!

pcstockton

« Reply #94 on: January 06, 2012, 05:49:15 pm »

totally.  I wont use JRemote for anything but audio.  I would to be able to customize the taskbar as you can in the Remote App.

For example I would LOVE to have only Artist, Playlist, Genre.

Thanks!!!!!

Patrick

rjm

« Reply #95 on: January 06, 2012, 09:04:45 pm »

Just did some testing with the new Gizmo feature. Gizmo has great promise but I prefer a native app over a browser on the iPad. If you have not already done so, please look at Gizmo's view configuration options. If you could do something similar JRemote would go from good to amazing. Also note that Gizmo supports AirPlay so perhaps adding it to JRemote won't be a huge effort.

wombat66

• World Citizen
« Reply #96 on: January 06, 2012, 09:19:59 pm »

Also, for the rating function. Would it be technically possible to have rating for each individual track besides the whole album?

Big +1. In addition to using ratings to generate Smartlists, I rely on ratings to choose which tracks to play. Being able to see the rating for each individual track besides the whole album would be extremely useful.

BTW, I just purchased the latest JRemote, I love the smooth scrolling. I am however wondering if the star ratings shown on the Playing Now screen are broken? Changing a rating on the JRemote Playing Now screen is not being carried over to the host. Or maybe I'm not doing something right?

rjm

« Reply #97 on: January 06, 2012, 09:33:58 pm »

If you have not already done so, please look at Gizmo's view configuration options. If you could do something similar JRemote would go from good to amazing.
Wow am I ever stupid. Just realized that the view config options for Gizmo also apply to JRemote. This is really really good!

I think JRiver needs to make a tweak. When a category is selected, the first item should be "All". For example, if the view has categories Genre and Artist then it should be possible to select all genres and proceed to the next level to choose an Artist.

pcstockton

« Reply #98 on: January 06, 2012, 10:31:21 pm »

I am however wondering if the star ratings shown on the Playing Now screen are broken? Changing a rating on the JRemote Playing Now screen is not being carried over to the host. Or maybe I'm not doing something right?

enable authentication?

)p(

« Reply #99 on: January 07, 2012, 12:09:57 am »

I think JRiver needs to make a tweak. When a category is selected, the first item should be "All". For example, if the view has categories Genre and Artist then it should be possible to select all genres and proceed to the next level to choose an Artist.

I agree. I thought I had something wrong in my viewschemes for gizmo/jremote/etc. I miss the all option on each level in a view hierarchy the way its shown in theaterview. Especially with movies and images I tend to skip a level in the hierarchy by choosing all instead of the listed choices for that level.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 ... 20   Go Up