INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Recommended settings using MC17 + Musiland Monitor 02 + REGA DAC  (Read 3960 times)

ajowers

• World Citizen
Recommended settings using MC17 + Musiland Monitor 02 + REGA DAC
« on: December 22, 2011, 08:17:06 am »

Hi,

I have a media center pc that I built. I use only lossless music and much is 24bit with various bit rates up to 192.

I use the USB DAC by the Chinese company Musiland.  The model is the Musiland Monitor 02 US and it has the built in power supply.

For a year I listened to the audio output of the Musiland into my Audio Refinement systems (YBA) but for Christmas I bought myself a present and that is the REGA DAC.

I am now running with a COAX cable output from the Musiland into the REGA.

In migrating from MC15 to 16 to 17, and upgrading the drivers on the Musiland I have had to tweak my Output settings to avoid pops and clicks.

My OS is Windows 7 Home Prem 32 bit with 2GB RAM and an Intel ATOM single core 1.6ghz fanless (quiet) system with 7200 rpm HD.

I am on the very latest beta (unstable) of MC17.  I found that on the very latest musiland driver (which was supposed to provide more improvements and reduce jitter) I must use ASIO to get click/pop free music.

Do you think ASIO is the best choice or should I use WASAPI? and if so what tweaks would I make to avoid those pops and clicks.

Another thing I have noticed since using the REGA is the innability to control volume with my mc remote. Instead I must use my amp's remote which is not a big deal really but was wondering what I can do.  I tried all the settings under the volume device under options but none seem to make a difference.  It is as though the Musiland can't change the volume when using its digital outs and only when using its analog outs.

Any thoughts on my setup and ways to improve it are welcome.  I would like to hear from anyone using a similar setup and how they like it.

Also, can I be experiencing jitter that is not manifested as audible clicks which simply affect imaging and more subtle aspects of the audio playback experience?

Thanks,
Anthony

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Reccomended settings using MC17 + Musiland Monitor 02 + REGA DAC
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2011, 08:20:11 am »

In migrating from MC15 to 16 to 17, and upgrading the drivers on the Musiland I have had to tweak my Output settings to avoid pops and clicks.

My OS is Windows 7 Home Prem 32 bit with 2GB RAM and an Intel ATOM single core 1.6ghz fanless (quiet) system with 7200 rpm HD.

I am on the very latest beta (unstable) of MC17.  I found that on the very latest musiland driver (which was supposed to provide more improvements and reduce jitter) I must use ASIO to get click/pop free music.

Do you think ASIO is the best choice or should I use WASAPI? and if so what tweaks would I make to avoid those pops and clicks.
ASIO is fine, but if you want to use WASAPI, increase the buffer.  Try both WASAPI's.

ajowers

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2011, 08:24:55 am »

Thanks. I tried both WASAPI settings and buffering up to 3 or 4 seconds but would still get clicks and pops.  It could be an issue with the Musiland driver and not J River I understand.  I just want the best settings as I am a perfectionist.  :)

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2011, 08:27:39 am »

The buffer setting is just below where you set WASAPI, etc.

ajowers

• World Citizen
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2011, 08:30:23 am »

Oh yes I think I remember, and the max is something like 500ms?  I tried that and still got clicks.

The strange thing is on an older Musiland driver and MC16 I used WASAPI event driven with no issues but after upgrading to the latest Musiland drivers and MC17 those same settings results in clicks which is when I switched to ASIO.

DarkPenguin

« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2011, 11:05:51 am »

Oh yes I think I remember, and the max is something like 500ms?  I tried that and still got clicks.

The strange thing is on an older Musiland driver and MC16 I used WASAPI event driven with no issues but after upgrading to the latest Musiland drivers and MC17 those same settings results in clicks which is when I switched to ASIO.

A driver update followed by clicks is pretty suspicious.

Did you ask the Musiland folk what their device prefers?

The HRT dude recommended shorter buffering for the HRT Streamer.  It doesn't use its own drivers, however.

ajowers

• World Citizen
Re: Recommended settings using MC17 + Musiland Monitor 02 + REGA DAC
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2011, 01:58:05 pm »

The musiland guys are all chinese and you cant talk with them but I can talk some with the ebay reseller I purchased from at Tam's Audio.  He is very nice but he reccomended in uninstall and go back to an earlier drive which is an easy option.  REading the release notes on the latest driver made it sound desirable as if there were many improvements in quality.  I can only get listenable output using ASIO now.

If I was able to use WASAPI will my volume control return ?

Should I replace the Musiland with an Audiophilio ?
Pages: [1]   Go Up