INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Restoring files from backup - how to rebuild tags from MC18 database?  (Read 2861 times)

sdaughtry

• Recent member

Situation: My 3TB RAID external drive had a bad controller board that scrambled BOTH hard drive contents - 2.2TB of MP3 files are wasted.

Used MC18 to update tags, assign song ratings (1-5) to probably 50% of those MP3 files.

Thankfully I archived the original MP3 files to > 1400 CDs/DVDs over the years. I just copied over the entire collection back to another RAID. Note that these restored MP3 files do NOT have the MC18 tags in them!

Challenge: Update these MP3 files with the MC18 tags... this problem is compounded by two things:

1: Possibly different folder name
2. Possibly different file name (e.g. 01-Perfidia.MP3 versus 01 - Perfidia.MP3)

My initial thought once I got the folders back into a folder structure similar to what was used before was to use MC18 to write it's database tags back to the MP3 files - that would take care of the vast majority of files. However, I don't think that library operation will produce a list of MP3 files that it could not write the tags back to (so I could then manually fix those folders and then use MC18 to once again write the MP3 tags back).

Is there an easier way of producing a "validation list" within MC18 that would tell me which folders that I've restored back from CD/DVD archive that don't match what is in the MC18 database? I don't know if MC18 can 'overlook' minor filename variances (e.g. 01-Perfidia.MP3 versus 01 - Perfidia.MP3) - I know it definitely demands that the folder names be 100% identical.

Thoughts?

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: Restoring files from backup - how to rebuild tags from MC18 database?
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2014, 03:49:22 pm »

The filenames will have to match.  You can run auto-import to get a report of how it's doing.  Find & Replace in the Rename, Move, & Copy files tool can help.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center
Pages: [1]   Go Up