INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: WASAPI - only getting some sound  (Read 1326 times)

greg.smalter

• World Citizen
WASAPI - only getting some sound
« on: January 14, 2012, 09:06:09 pm »

I've enabled WASAPI for an Nvidia card sending audio to a Denon Receiver via HDMI. The receiver is wired up to just two speakers. It works if I listen to music or if I watch certain TV stations. If I watch certain other TV stations, though, I don't get all of the sound (usually dialog). Since it's the flagship HD stations that don't get all of the sound, and it's the dialog that's missing, I strongly suspect that it's the channels sending 5.1 sound (specifically using the center channel) that are broken and for some reason I'm not getting the center channel audio to play at all.

Using WMC to watch TV, my receiver reports 5.1 input but it figures it out and correctly gets all of the sound to the two speakers. So, I'm not really sure why the receiver would be unable to figure it out in the WASAPI situation.

Even so, I went into the MC configuration and set the Channels to 2. My understanding is that this should shift the burden of mixing the source signals into 2 channel stereo from my receiver to MC. But, I still have the same problem.

Any hints? Thanks.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: WASAPI - only getting some sound
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2012, 11:44:04 pm »

Even so, I went into the MC configuration and set the Channels to 2. My understanding is that this should shift the burden of mixing the source signals into 2 channel stereo from my receiver to MC. But, I still have the same problem.

This is what I was going to suggest.

If you pick '2 channel' (and make sure JRSS mixing is selected in the same area), any 5.1 or 7.1 content will get nicely downmixed.

Is it possible you don't have JRSS enabled?
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

greg.smalter

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2012, 02:43:04 pm »

Is it possible you don't have JRSS enabled?
I didn't have it enabled. Now that I do, it works. The only thing I still don't get it why my receiver is smart enough to turn 5.1 into stereo when getting sound from WMC but not smart enough when getting it from MC w/ WASAPI. I did confirm that I have the same problem, though, on a computer using analog out - no receiver.

Anyway, thanks!

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2012, 02:07:47 pm »

WMC probably outputs in whatever format you have Windows configured to use, including channel mixing / conversion.

Media Center bypasses this when using hardware direction audio output, which is a good thing.  This way we have full control over the audio path.

Anyway, glad to hear you got it working.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center
Pages: [1]   Go Up