INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Library grouping options too confusing  (Read 4214 times)

skyler544

Library grouping options too confusing
« on: January 17, 2012, 06:17:08 pm »

Like I said, I'm confused by the library grouping options. After spending about 30 minutes searching the MJ14 forum, I didn't find what I was looking for, so here is my question:

I really only need two views: Library and Now Playing. Now Playing is totally fine, I don't need the display to be any more complicated than the list itself with the various columns specified. For the library though, I would like to group my files in this manner: Artist -> Album -> Track #, with the album art for each album displayed. When in the library view, right-clicking on the navigation bar directly underneath the player controls at the top of the program will open a drop down menu of view options; here I choose Group By -> More (sort groups a-z) -> Artist, and then choose Sort Inside Groups By -> Custom -> Album, Track #. The way the program displays these settings is almost perfect, but instead of breaking up albums by their name and with their songs separate from the others of that artist, it shows one thumbnail of one of the artists' records and blends all the songs from all the albums by that artist into one large list. All I want is for there to be a divider between albums and for the album art to show. It seems like that shouldn't be this hard to accomplish...

http://img85.imageshack.us/img85/9310/wtfmj14.jpg

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: Library grouping options too confusing
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2012, 06:24:24 pm »

I think you're saying you want to group by album instead of by artist.  Album should be in the 'Group By' menu, right after 'None'.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

skyler544

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2012, 06:56:28 pm »

if I chose to sort by album, tracks would no longer be sorted by artist. What I am looking for may not actually be possible in media jukebox. if you have ever used windows media player 11 or higher, then you must be familiar with the organization scheme used by microsoft for their program. As you can see here http://www.orzeszek.org/blog/wp-content/uploads/2009/02/windows-media-player.png, these files are organized first by artist (the files line up in alphabetical order according to artist) and then by album (each album appears alphabetically under the corresponding artist) and then by track number (tracks are displayed in the order which they were put onto the album by the artist). This system is simple and logical, and is my preferred way of looking at my library. No I will not sacrifice sound quality and usability for windows media player however, and so I simply wish to recreate as closely as possible the library view from windows media player as shown and described in media jukebox 14. I cannot understand why it is so difficult to set up the library view to display files in what I would expect to be the default and most logical fashion.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2012, 06:59:45 pm »

Album grouping sorts by artist, then album.

In other words, I think it's exactly what you're asking for.

In Media Center 17, you could try the default Audio > Panes view as an example.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

skyler544

« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2012, 07:08:19 pm »

looks like I should have looked at each of the view options more carefully before attempting to do it myself and getting frustrated with what appeared to be an apparent lack of logic in the organizational system. I was simply trying to manually set up a view that MJ14 actually did have already. I guess the album view didn't look quite right to me because I had it set to organize albums alphabetically by name, and that likely overrode the grouping of albums by artist. Anyways, I seem to have set it back to the original default of the album view which is doing exactly what you said it would and not what I thought it did. Thanks for your help on this non-issue. :P
Pages: [1]   Go Up